STATE TAX aircraft

What is most sickening is that our federal government has grown so big that it requires unsustainable rates of taxation (and regulation) that have choked off the golden goose.  There is a large portion of the ruling class that have "bought votes" from the 52% not paying federal income tax (and receiving "tax" breaks that transfer my earnings to them) by promising them ever increasing amounts of transfers and removing responsibility from them for getting an education and job skills so they can take care of themselves.

Those 52% have no skin in the game, so to speak, and can effectively keep voting themselves more welfare since the one party doesn't need the votes of the producers in this country to remain in power.  Until *everyone* shares in the burden of this federal behemoth, we will continue down this destructive path and our country will collapse.  Only when balance is restored and the federal footprint is drastically reduced will we experience economic growth and expanding opportunity for all.

Thank you, I'm NOT moving to Georgia anytime soon!

If I was you I would move away. Someone else told me about Maine's once excessive use tax which was promptly repealed when they discovered the effect it had for stopping paying tourists from entering the state!

If I thought for one moment that tax on my aircraft would further the people of the State Of Alabama I would never have asked the question. I suspect it furthers/maintains the growth of government more than anything else, but not like Georgia.

My picture is not so bleak as painted for some but believe me I've been there, worked my way out. "Worked my way out" being the operative phrase.

I'm still thinking it's illegal to evade taxes but not illegal to avoid taxes, so I 'm still looking for my best plan of action.

Thanks for the discussion , I'm paying attention and hope this was beneficial to others as well.

Quote: KSMooniac

What is most sickening is that our federal government has grown so big that it requires unsustainable rates of taxation (and regulation) that have choked off the golden goose.  There is a large portion of the ruling class that have "bought votes" from the 52% not paying federal income tax (and receiving "tax" breaks that transfer my earnings to them) by promising them ever increasing amounts of transfers and removing responsibility from them for getting an education and job skills so they can take care of themselves.

Those 52% have no skin in the game, so to speak, and can effectively keep voting themselves more welfare since the one party doesn't need the votes of the producers in this country to remain in power.  Until *everyone* shares in the burden of this federal behemoth, we will continue down this destructive path and our country will collapse.  Only when balance is restored and the federal footprint is drastically reduced will we experience economic growth and expanding opportunity for all.

Quote: Becca

I am not going to convince any of you that our government is a force for good.  Think what you will.  If I were a poor person, I wouldn't be a big fan of all the money the government spends helping out GA - such as with bonus depreciation.  Or with free weather services and air traffic control surfaces.  Or small airport improvement projects.  Most of the working poor will never see these benefits.

Quote: flight2000

I got the letter, but was exempt from the sales tax in Kansas as it was a casual sale between private individuals.  They tried to get me for property tax the following year, but the military clause saved me on that aspect.  There are also states that will try and hit you up if you never paid sales tax (no matter how long you've owned it) (uhmm, hello Virginia) to another state.  I will be very careful with where we end up retiring. 

What's the status with North Carolina? Favorable or unfavorable?

Brian

Well, if that's your line of thinking, then why don't we abolish the IRS and have a consumption tax on everything?  Everyone realize that they actually have to pay for their "services" because they actually feel like they are paying.  This forces everyone to put hand on the government to keep costs in check.

I'm paying for a lot of sevices on April 15 every year that I don't use...

"I work hard, pay my bills, live within my means and plan for me and my families future...and I watch the Government make poor decision after poor decision and still wish to take more.  Enough"

Like going to the grocery store and seeing the cart full of food paid for with the Texas Star card and loaded into the brand new Cadillac Escalade.   

Any person who beats stage 4 colon and liver cancer and can run for president, deserves a nod. Health Care? He's lived it. Flat Tax? Somebody more charismatic than Steve Forbes has to sell it. His message has kinks, but I hope he ends up being a player.....in any capacity. The Man is a winner.

Quote: scottfromiowa

You know what I think is sickening about it.. besides that this is a Mooney forum not a political debate... I find it sickening that 52% of the people in this country make so little money that it is unconsionable to tax them because that would place a terrible burden on their ability to provide for their families basic needs in order to pay the tax bill.  This article describes the problem: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/why-do-half-of-all-americans-pay-no-federal-income-taxes/2011/07/11/gIQA8olBuI_blog.html

I'd think it would be worth a moment to reflect upon the economic privledge that you have that allows you to have enough money to own and fly a Mooney, and think about the person who sweeps your office floor and his wife who bags groceries, neither of whom have health insurance, and who have two kids and a household income of less than $26k, the very definition of the working poor, and ask yourself if you'd increase the tax burden on them so you have less of a sales tax burden on your aircraft?  Or if any such sales tax reduction would create jobs in a meaningful amount or increase the lifestyle of the working poor in any way.   We all bought planes and "created" jobs in aircraft manufacturing even with sales taxes and income tax acting against us.   People also bought aircraft in the 1970s when marginal tax rates were higher.   Yes, excessive tax is stiffling to economic development, but no where in our tax code is excessive tax currently existing or being proposed, were talking about small percentage marginal tax rate increases and closing corporate loopholes here.