Conti SB

Pete M

Conti says don't change oil brands....ever.  Says changing causes the oil to turn black, increase deposits, cause engine wear, not make tbo. Seems odd to me. I'm guessing some oil's clean better than others and switching to the cleaner oil is no Bueno? Maybe the same sae oils don't mix, as we've been led to believe?

Pete,

That is not really what the document says... :)

The document says...

When you change oil (brand or type), expect the following...

Then they list the worst possible cases that may occur... with the most obvious... oil changes color...

Then they reach to their history of experience about oil changing black... oil that degrades turns black, loses viscosity and no longer lubricates as expected...

So... if you use randomly blackened oil... expect that it may not be lubricating as expected... that will miraculously result in increased wear...

My favorite is what tipped off the SB...  Field reports...

“Field reports from fleet operators indicate switching brands during the first oil change cycle changed the oil color to black and increased oil deposits. Switching oil brands before engine overhaul may result in higher wear rates for lifters and cylinder components, even under normal operating conditions.”

So... if you expect to change oil types/brands... expect two oil changes in rapid succession...?

Back to reading MS...

Waiting for somebody with deeper oil knowledge...

MS used to have an oil guy...

It would be nice to know what the field reporters knew... what oil was in the engine first... then what went in the engine second...?

That would be worth knowing about...

Thanks to Pete for bringing the idea to light...
Thanks to Paul and Eric for bringing the details to light...

It doesn’t take much to chemically destroy an oil... a little lemon juice in the French fry vat ruins the oil... acids and oils don’t mix...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

17 hours ago, carusoam said:

Pete,

That is not really what the document says... :)

The document says...

When you change oil (brand or type), expect the following...

Then they list the worst possible cases that may occur... with the most obvious... oil changes color...

Then they reach to their history of experience about oil changing black... oil that degrades turns black, loses viscosity and no longer lubricates as expected...

So... if you use randomly blackened oil... expect that it may not be lubricating as expected... that will miraculously result in increased wear...

My favorite is what tipped off the SB...  Field reports...

“Field reports from fleet operators indicate switching brands during the first oil change cycle changed the oil color to black and increased oil deposits. Switching oil brands before engine overhaul may result in higher wear rates for lifters and cylinder components, even under normal operating conditions.”

So... if you expect to change oil types/brands... expect two oil changes in rapid succession...?

Back to reading MS...

Waiting for somebody with deeper oil knowledge...

MS used to have an oil guy...

It would be nice to know what the field reporters knew... what oil was in the engine first... then what went in the engine second...?

That would be worth knowing about...

Thanks to Pete for bringing the idea to light...
Thanks to Paul and Eric for bringing the details to light...

It doesn’t take much to chemically destroy an oil... a little lemon juice in the French fry vat ruins the oil... acids and oils don’t mix...

Best regards,

-a-

Did I miss something, or you're just bein' funny? Says use the same brand from break in to overhaul. Seems rediculous on its face. Mixing two sae oils will not make them turn black. If you break in with mineral and switch to ad then sure the ad will turn black sooner. Duh:) How about "if you change oils and the oil turns black commence oil change". But never change brands...really? No science, just "the guys at the airport said" From an engine manufaturer no less. I guess thats the chinese answer or "It's not our fault, of course the engine didnt make tbo, you changed oil brands at 1000 hours". Pitiful.

1) They restate the recommended oil details...

2) They state changing oil types or brands CAN be bad... seems absolutely silly to me (look for AOPA to have interest in this)

3) Field reports  lack any data other than visual observation...

4) Laws of physics still have value...

5) All the black crap that showed up in my O360 was exhaust and 100LL by-products...

6) I take it to say... if you change oil type, and it turns black, unusually.... change it again rinsing all the old stuff out... find José he likes the guidance of using fuel for this...

7) It sounds like there is chemical degradation going on... that shouldn’t be magic... and it should be repeatable...

8) If anyone can make sense of this SB... please share with the rest of us...

9) It looks like the lawyers didn’t consult with an oil person...

10) It really doesn’t look like a lawyer wrote this either...

11) I have never seen anything like this with any engine I have owned before... even if the owners manual recommended Mobil1...

12) One thing to consider... laws of physics again... a lot of junk settles to the bottom of the oil sump over the years... sludge and fuel by-products... somewhere along the lines the ‘hapless owner’  gets a new case of oil and it is different from what is holding all the sludge together... the new oil is now cleaning out the sump and floating everything around that was collecting down there...

The dark color the SB is referring to is all the dirt that used to be collecting at the bottom of the sump... when it is now circulating in the new oil...

Looks like the SB neglected to say... use a solvent to clean out the sump... And make sure the sump actually gets cleaned out...

So...the SB may actually make some sense in that case... good luck following that while on the road... or over time when your favorite oil is no longer available...

13) it would help if there was a defined alternate way to comply with the SB... what to do when my oil isn’t available...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic, or oil man... nor a lawyer for a big engine company...

Best regards,

-a-

On a side not, spoke to jewel yesterday for a student buying a 231. They said they're seeing cam spalling in the continentals. Odd, i thought. He says he thinks its the phillips 20/50. I agree. Never made sense to me to take a 20 weight oil, add artificial thickners and not expect the thickners to break down. Not to mention running a thin oil in an engine originally designed to run on thick, organic oil. The varnish organic oils produce protects the  metal.