Community Accountablity for My 2017 Aviation Objectives

When I was training for IR, once I had the basics of aircraft and airspeed control down (including partial panel), we began flying to outlying fields an hour or so away. This not only gave me some actual experience in cruise, but let me transition from cruise to the approach, and included fields I was not familiar with, different approaches, different VORs, etc. as I closed in on the checkride, we went back to using nearby fields to maximize the number of approaches to get everything firmly down.

11 minutes ago, Hank said:

When I was training for IR, once I had the basics of aircraft and airspeed control down (including partial panel), we began flying to outlying fields an hour or so away. This not only gave me some actual experience in cruise, but let me transition from cruise to the approach, and included fields I was not familiar with, different approaches, different VORs, etc. as I closed in on the checkride, we went back to using nearby fields to maximize the number of approaches to get everything firmly down.

Hank,

Great idea, thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, Flying plan "D" to the Sacramento area (Folsom) due to weather. If the are any MS'ers who are interested in meeting up this coming week send me a PM.  Also I am looking at an accelerated IR program due to my schedule (PIC, AFIT or any other such program) and I am looking for feedback on the difference in approach of each organization. To my knowledge PIC uses more sim time and AFIT perfers to use no sim time.

Cheers,

I used A.F.I.T. and can confirm they don't use Sims. Tony basically runs a bunch of instructors in different parts of the country. They usually come out to your location and train you in your aircraft so it's a good idea to ask for an instructor with Mooney time. In my case I combined it with my insurance checkout and transition training and the insurance company required an instructor with 50 hrs in type for the transition training and sign off. So you may want to check if your insurance policy says anything about that.

For my PPL I traveled to the instructor's location and he had lined up a local Piper Archer to rent. For the IR the instructor joined me in Atlanta where I picked up my Ovation and we then flew to my home field for the remaining days of training. That worked because I was home alone that week with my wife visiting our daughter and grandson; so I had the house to myself and no distractions which was helpful.

Don't know for sure about PIC but thought they worked out of specific locations and had their own facilities there.

Good luck!

Robert

13 hours ago, Robert C. said:

I used A.F.I.T. and can confirm they don't use Sims. Tony basically runs a bunch of instructors in different parts of the country. They usually come out to your location and train you in your aircraft so it's a good idea to ask for an instructor with Mooney time. In my case I combined it with my insurance checkout and transition training and the insurance company required an instructor with 50 hrs in type for the transition training and sign off. So you may want to check if your insurance policy says anything about that.

For my PPL I traveled to the instructor's location and he had lined up a local Piper Archer to rent. For the IR the instructor joined me in Atlanta where I picked up my Ovation and we then flew to my home field for the remaining days of training. That worked because I was home alone that week with my wife visiting our daughter and grandson; so I had the house to myself and no distractions which was helpful.

Don't know for sure about PIC but thought they worked out of specific locations and had their own facilities there.

Good luck!

Robert

Thanks Robert. It is interesting regarding the use of sims as some say they are better for teaching concepts because there is less demand on the student vice trying trying to teach concepts in the AC. While other say just fly and learn in the environment you'll use the skills in (I think there was just an article in Flying or AOPA about this). I guess that's another topic for discussion and I guess which works best (All training in AC or AC and sim) is based on the individual, how they learn and the quality of the sim.

Cheers

If it's a full motion, 3-axis sim like this, they work great.  I did 19 hours in one for my IR training and it was a work out.  Much better (and cheaper) than hood time in the aircraft. 

Biggest challenge is finding one at a flight school near you, because they aren't cheap to purchase.

Cheers,

Brian

fixed-wing-main.png

22 hours ago, flight2000 said:

If it's a full motion, 3-axis sim like this, they work great.  I did 19 hours in one for my IR training and it was a work out.  Much better (and cheaper) than hood time in the aircraft. 

Biggest challenge is finding one at a flight school near you, because they aren't cheap to purchase.

Cheers,

Brian

fixed-wing-main.png

Brian,

That looks like a sweet ride.

Cheers,

Alan

• 1 month later...

OK so here is an update for those following along at home. The aviation gods have not been helpful so far during Q1 of 2017 (on the plus side business is good). I didn't make it to Yuma for Caravan qual's due to being conservative on my weather mins and it seems besides missing out on a cool flying experience there were awesome goodies presented (hopefully the Gunfighters will have the coins next year too, that coin will look sweet next to the ones I have from the Corps). So no Oshkosh this year.  I haven't flown for business and even had a few "puppy missions" cancelled due to weather. The week my radio install was suppose to go there was a miscommunication between me and my radio guy (as to who was to build the harnesses before the install, I guess it was me who was supposed to do it). So this will be rescheduled for the time blocked for Oshkosh.

But there were some small victories. The AC passes IFR pitot/static checks with no major issues (and more importantly no significant expenses). Install a vertical compass and did the swing with my A&P. I am not sure I am going to keep it because the variances for the headings between North and East are 15 or more degrees (that is a little unnerving for me). I picked up my Sporty's IFR DVD set, Ron Machardo's IFR book, the two FAA Instrument books, new 2017 FAR/AIM, FAR/AIM flash cards (remember I said I'm a slow learner), studying has commenced. I also found these pretty informative YouTube presentation by a company called Pilotsedge who's product  I may use (real time ATC communications) in conjunction with my MSX Flight Sim to reinforce what I an taught in the plane. I also found a flight instructor (CFI) who is willing to be my safety pilot (who has a bit of "J" time) and work with me on the basics and maybe more for hours swap. I also have a local CFII scheduled for 17days in Sept to finish up my rating (unfortunate no hours swap here, just cold cash). The last thing on the list is that I am about to send off my check and registration form the the MAPA PPP in Santa Maria in April so I will stop flying "Charlotte" like a 172.

That's about it for now and for those who warned me that my plan was a bit too aggressive, you were correct. But I'm gonna' keep grinding on the the rest of my goals for the year.

Cheers,

Alan

Sounds like a good plan,  Alan.

The MSFS uses Rod Machado in its training section, unless something changed...

unfortunately, they have an M20M so the numbers don't match very closely to the M20B...

Still makes a great procedure trainer for all the details you will be picking up...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 months later...

The struggle continues... Got bad news from my company about a month ago. They will not reimburse me for my travel in my P.O.P. (Personally Owned Plane). Here's the funny thing, I presented a cost neutral request and the response I got was that "we don't want everyone flying the personal planes around on company business". This is funny because I haven't met another pilot who works in my company, let alone someone who has their own plane. Oh well, guess I will fly on my own dime. So if anyone knows of a plane friendly company looking for a Sr. Reliability Engineer who will travel let me know ( a man has to take a stand on somethings).

Finally getting around to beginning my instrument training and after a great 3.5 hours total between Pocatello , Idaho Falls and Brigham City under the hood I had my nose gear tire fail on landing roll out (see below). fortunately there was help at the field. The magic carpet is in the shop getting a new shoe and having the nose gear checked out. As a bonus I now have new material for the Root Cause Analysis Training I give the companies Jr. Nerds (no being a nerd is not a bad thing... at least in my world).

Now for some good news, I found a CFII who will "fly for food" or in this case hours. So we are bartering for instruction and he is willing to do long XC's with me. How long you ask, well we have a trip planned to go from SLC UT to Myrtle Beach SC the last week in June (24th-26th). I guessing it will be a beautiful trip but I won't see much more than my panel. But there is always the trip back.

Hopefully I will have some better updates going forward.

Cheers,

20170528_113743.jpg

Alan,

I hope you got all the bad news out in the one post...

Something to look into...

The IRS (?) gives guidance on what can be written off on company expense reports... they give the guidelines of how many cents per mile can be used for cars...

They also give a slightly better guidance for cents per mile for planes and other machines that get used by people to travel.  Even the Feds recognize the usefulness of planes for personal travel.

See if you can find the chart.  It has been discussed around here before. That's how I learned about it.

Starting employment with a new company, it is always good to read their travel policy.  Some nerd had to write it, and often it is written with loopholes in it that your local management isn't even familiar with.

Often one of the loopholes includes GA.  They may add some restrictions like how many people from the same organization can travel in the same plane.  What the insurance level needs to be and what ratings are required...

Some I read, required a commercial rating. Others required an Instrument rating. Some level of insurance needs to be in place.

I found most often that my employer didn't want to discuss what I drove to work. The better the boss relationship is, the better the rules following can be...

It is completely proper to use the IRS numbers if the boss is OK with you flying. In some cases, I only put the equivalent car mileage in the report.  

The boss gets really interested when the GA flights cost a whole lot less than the commercial flights.

The boss won't be very impressed if you miss an opportunity because of weather or a break-down.  So have Plan B ready. Even for commercial flights, going out the day before may be required...

Some PP thoughts only. I flew a few times for work related travel.  The sweet spot for me was flights up to a few hundred miles.  Most of my flying commercially was international...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

My company doesn't reimburse either.  Found it somewhere in the company handbook so it's been in there a long time, which is funny as I'm the only private pilot in the company :)

If I were to hazard a guess, many companies start with a standard set of HR Policies and then tweak them. As a result they end up with some policies they never even thought about and don't discover until someone, e.g. you, asks about them. Then it's a lot easier to say "no" rather than analyze they how and whys of saying yes.

Good luck with the trip. I spent the entire 4:30hrs from Atlanta to Danbury under the hood on a gorgeous VFR day and missed all of the mountains, DC, Philly, Manhattan and Atlantic seaboard floating by.

Cheers,

Robert

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A quick update. It appears that I will not be making the trip to Myrtle Beach as I destructively tested my magnetos. And I learned the lesson @carusoam was trying to impart on me about having a "plan B" when it comes to trips of the business variety.

The story goes like this. I had planned on flying up to Helena MT on Monday (June 19th) for a week long visit to work with the RE at one of my plants there this past Monday and I decided to do a Pilots and Paws mission which fit in nicely along the route (KBMC to KPIH and then off to KHLN). The day was going as planned, I picked up the pup (Bill the Pug, see attached pic). We went through pre-flight, fueled up and launched. The air was perfect and Bill and I enjoyed a smooth ride all the way to Pocatello ID. I was able to maintain altitude +/- 50' @ 8500' the whole route. The approach and landing we uneventful. After Bill met his new family I was off to the Capital of Montana.

This is where thing went south. Run-up and departure form KPIH were routine. As I was climbing to 10.5K I called SLC Center to get FF only to be told the radar was out. I guess they don't tell you that when you get a standard VFR weather brief (note to self, ask about radar services along route of flight from now on). So I am thinking "no big deal, it's severe clear and I can call Great Falls Radio for weather updates if it starts to look bad" . As I'm thinking this I do my usual engine instrument scan during the climb and I notice my MP and RPM are a bit lower than they usually are, everything else is in the "Green". I figure I may be running a bit rich due to DA as it was starting to get towards midday so I start to lean out (no EGT gauge, yet). That's when the engine starts running real rough, so I put the mixture back to where it was thinking I went too lean which was not the case as the engine did not recover. So I level off my climb around 9K and start going through stuff, mixture to rich, no change, boost pump on, no change, switch tanks, no change, carb heat, no change (the only thing I failed to do was a mag check, this will be important later). So by now I'm getting a little rattled and I start working through my options for getting down. I'm about 20 out of KPIH at 9.5K, the engine is still making power and everything is still in the green.

Based on this I decide to dial up KPIH tower and let them know I am coming back with a rough running engine. There were closer airports but wanted to go to an airport with some ground support for maintenance (maybe not the best decision). Tower asked if I want to declare an emergency, which I say "no not at this time". They clear me to right base for 21. (Everything after this point is the best as I can remember it as I was focused on preserving altitude and getting to the airport and not causing the engine to stop) I trim out for 100mph indicated, idle the engine back to 15' with full prop and begin to start my decent. the one thing I noticed was how quickly I got trimmed to 100mph and how well I kept it there during my decent. I guess starting my IR training and playing what I like to call the "airspeed game" of attitude instrument flying paid some dividends here.

As I am about to enter the right base for 21 tower calls with an update on the winds, 35 @  10 with gust to 15 and ask if I want to change runways. This was in between conversations where they were positioning CFR (you would think that would be comforting but for  me it was concerning) I feel I am committed to 21 given my location and tell them I'll stay with this approach. I come out of the base turn and I am pretty high on the final still at 100mph. at this point I am feeling ok as 21 is 9000+ ft so if I'm long no big deal. I drop the gear and the sink rate increases so I trim out for 90mph to slow it down. When I am sure I have the runway made (I'm still white over white) I add half flaps and trim out for 80mph. The whole time I don't think I made any moves with the throttle. Once over the runway I fly her to the ground, level off, flare slightly and she find the ground. On final the wind did cause a bit of a problem but I set up for the right side of the runway and kept the right wing low and while I didn't land center line I wasn't blown to the edge either. As I taxi back to the FBO I thank Tower for there help. I guess it was just another day at the office for them.

So at the FBO I park but before I shut down I do a mag check and everything checks out OK. I drain fuel from each wing to see of there is water, none (forgot to drain some from the fuel bowl in the wheel well). One of the mechanics from the FBO comes over asking if I need help and I say yes. He takes a look at the engine to see what he can see with out undressing the engine, he finds nothing. So we taxi off the line and conduct the basic run-up, everything checks out. We go back to the line and remove the cowl to see what we can see, nothing except a very very small oil leak from the prop governor. We both look at each other as there appears to be no issue.

With this information or lack there of I make the decision to head back to KBMC with a careful eye on the engine instruments. To minimize the consequences of having to make an off field landing I choose to fly the I-15 back from KPIH to KBMC as there are a few airports along the way and a bunch of farms, not to mention a highway full of cars who should see me if I have to land short of an airport.

The return trip to KBMC proved to be uneventful. Run-up departure (25" MP 2600RPM at 100mph and 800fpm) , climb to 7.5k, cruise (130mph indicated, 125kts on the gps) and landing where about a normal as could be. I sat in the plane for a few minutes totally stumped. After I put her in the hanger and I went to see my mechanic. I told him what happened and asked him to take a look to see if any repairs would be needed and could they be completed before my trip to KCRE.

Unfortunately that meant I had use "plan B" a 7hr drive to Helena ahead of me. But fortunately the Mrs. decided to join me on the trip so we explored Helena after work each day. So "plan B" wasn't as painful as it could have been.

My mechanic gave me a call Wednesday to say he sent the mags off to be bench tested because he couldn't find anything else wrong. The shop came back saying that the mags coils were in the process of failing. I guess when I reached a higher altitude it brought out the problem. This is really a bummer as I was looking forward to the trip out to the east coast. But I guess it is better to have this happen at home then on the road.

So there's the update. If you are interested in providing feedback on how I handled this event please do so in a constructive manner (don't be a buttface).

Regards,

• Like 2

Sounds like good, sound, conservative ADM. It's probably just me but I would have gone for the new runaway so I wouldn't have to worry about the X-wind on top of everything else.

Do you know from the logs how many hrs since the last magneto inspection? The IO-550 / Ovation calls for 500hr inspections as I recall, but developing problems can and should be found at the annual as well.

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Nice work and write up, Astra.

See how many hours were accumulated on the mags if you can.

I think, some people like 500 hours to schedule an OH on them.  Some won't OH both at the same time.

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks,

I got into my logs and the engine was field overhauled less than 300hrs ago. It came off a Travel Air. There is no mention of if the mags were rebuild as well or if they were from the previous engine or if the shop grabbed a couple that were laying on the bench and threw them on. The only thing I know about this engine accessories is that the vacuum pump has the same hours as the engine and the starter was replaced less than 60hrs ago. I guess I can chalk this up to 1st airplane ownership learnings.

As you mentioned 500hrs appears to be the magic number for magnetos and it makes all the sense in the world to stagger the rebuild for both cost and survivability. I guess I will "throw away some life" on one of them to accomplish this in the future providing that both of them reach 400 hrs. Which is when I will pull one for rebuild and run the other to 500 or so. Though it would be interesting to know how the 500hr TBO was reached. Was it reached through "tribal knowledge" or did someone gather the data, conduct a Weibull analysis of that data to get the L10 life (assuming 500hr is L10). Also what non-destructive tests are available for a mag to go from a time based replacement to a condition based replacement ( i.e. HiPot, resistance of the coil, current signature of each plug lead) Just some thoughts.

• Like 1

I wonder if our numbers are too small for statistical analysis...

The Best we have comes from reports of other pilots of what they are seeing in our similar planes.

We are most fortunate when some of our pilots are also Mooney mechanics and have some really large numbers of airplanes to draw from.

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, Robert C. said:

Sounds like good, sound, conservative ADM. It's probably just me but I would have gone for the new runaway so I wouldn't have to worry about the X-wind on top of everything else.

Do you know from the logs how many hrs since the last magneto inspection? The IO-550 / Ovation calls for 500hr inspections as I recall, but developing problems can and should be found at the annual as well.

Thanks,

The interesting part is that after annual the engine did sound a bit different and it did nag at me but I though it was because my plugs were cleaned as I was running the engine rich for my elevation. I guess I should listen to that little voice a bit more. As for the hours on the mags, as stated above I have no clue.

Just now, carusoam said:

I wonder if our numbers are too small for statistical analysis...

The Best we have comes from reports of other pilots of what they are seeing in our similar planes.

We are most fortunate when some of our pilots are also Mooney mechanics and have some really large numbers of airplanes to draw from.

Best regards,

-a-

You may be right but I am betting so mag rebuild shops may have this type of data. Maybe not by type of AC be surely by type of magneto. Sounds like a class project. As for the 500 mag inspection, I just watched a YouTube video on it and it is pretty intrusive with a lot of things that can go wrong when returning a mag to service after the inspection. I'm sure smarter people then me have thought about this, probably even some who are on this board.

Cheers,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, astravierso said:

A quick update. It appears that I will not be making the trip to Myrtle Beach as I destructively tested my magnetos. And I learned the lesson @carusoam was trying to impart on me about having a "plan B" when it comes to trips of the business variety.

The story goes like this. I had planned on flying up to Helena MT on Monday (June 19th) for a week long visit to work with the RE at one of my plants there this past Monday and I decided to do a Pilots and Paws mission which fit in nicely along the route (KBMC to KPIH and then off to KHLN). The day was going as planned, I picked up the pup (Bill the Pug, see attached pic). We went through pre-flight, fueled up and launched. The air was perfect and Bill and I enjoyed a smooth ride all the way to Pocatello ID. I was able to maintain altitude +/- 50' @ 8500' the whole route. The approach and landing we uneventful. After Bill met his new family I was off to the Capital of Montana.

This is where thing went south. Run-up and departure form KPIH were routine. As I was climbing to 10.5K I called SLC Center to get FF only to be told the radar was out. I guess they don't tell you that when you get a standard VFR weather brief (note to self, ask about radar services along route of flight from now on). So I am thinking "no big deal, it's severe clear and I can call Great Falls Radio for weather updates if it starts to look bad" . As I'm thinking this I do my usual engine instrument scan during the climb and I notice my MP and RPM are a bit lower than they usually are, everything else is in the "Green". I figure I may be running a bit rich due to DA as it was starting to get towards midday so I start to lean out (no EGT gauge, yet). That's when the engine starts running real rough, so I put the mixture back to where it was thinking I went too lean which was not the case as the engine did not recover. So I level off my climb around 9K and start going through stuff, mixture to rich, no change, boost pump on, no change, switch tanks, no change, carb heat, no change (the only thing I failed to do was a mag check, this will be important later). So by now I'm getting a little rattled and I start working through my options for getting down. I'm about 20 out of KPIH at 9.5K, the engine is still making power and everything is still in the green.

Based on this I decide to dial up KPIH tower and let them know I am coming back with a rough running engine. There were closer airports but wanted to go to an airport with some ground support for maintenance (maybe not the best decision). Tower asked if I want to declare an emergency, which I say "no not at this time". They clear me to right base for 21. (Everything after this point is the best as I can remember it as I was focused on preserving altitude and getting to the airport and not causing the engine to stop) I trim out for 100mph indicated, idle the engine back to 15' with full prop and begin to start my decent. the one thing I noticed was how quickly I got trimmed to 100mph and how well I kept it there during my decent. I guess starting my IR training and playing what I like to call the "airspeed game" of attitude instrument flying paid some dividends here.

As I am about to enter the right base for 21 tower calls with an update on the winds, 35 @  10 with gust to 15 and ask if I want to change runways. This was in between conversations where they were positioning CFR (you would think that would be comforting but for  me it was concerning) I feel I am committed to 21 given my location and tell them I'll stay with this approach. I come out of the base turn and I am pretty high on the final still at 100mph. at this point I am feeling ok as 21 is 9000+ ft so if I'm long no big deal. I drop the gear and the sink rate increases so I trim out for 90mph to slow it down. When I am sure I have the runway made (I'm still white over white) I add half flaps and trim out for 80mph. The whole time I don't think I made any moves with the throttle. Once over the runway I fly her to the ground, level off, flare slightly and she find the ground. On final the wind did cause a bit of a problem but I set up for the right side of the runway and kept the right wing low and while I didn't land center line I wasn't blown to the edge either. As I taxi back to the FBO I thank Tower for there help. I guess it was just another day at the office for them.

So at the FBO I park but before I shut down I do a mag check and everything checks out OK. I drain fuel from each wing to see of there is water, none (forgot to drain some from the fuel bowl in the wheel well). One of the mechanics from the FBO comes over asking if I need help and I say yes. He takes a look at the engine to see what he can see with out undressing the engine, he finds nothing. So we taxi off the line and conduct the basic run-up, everything checks out. We go back to the line and remove the cowl to see what we can see, nothing except a very very small oil leak from the prop governor. We both look at each other as there appears to be no issue.

With this information or lack there of I make the decision to head back to KBMC with a careful eye on the engine instruments. To minimize the consequences of having to make an off field landing I choose to fly the I-15 back from KPIH to KBMC as there are a few airports along the way and a bunch of farms, not to mention a highway full of cars who should see me if I have to land short of an airport.

The return trip to KBMC proved to be uneventful. Run-up departure (25" MP 2600RPM at 100mph and 800fpm) , climb to 7.5k, cruise (130mph indicated, 125kts on the gps) and landing where about a normal as could be. I sat in the plane for a few minutes totally stumped. After I put her in the hanger and I went to see my mechanic. I told him what happened and asked him to take a look to see if any repairs would be needed and could they be completed before my trip to KCRE.

Unfortunately that meant I had use "plan B" a 7hr drive to Helena ahead of me. But fortunately the Mrs. decided to join me on the trip so we explored Helena after work each day. So "plan B" wasn't as painful as it could have been.

My mechanic gave me a call Wednesday to say he sent the mags off to be bench tested because he couldn't find anything else wrong. The shop came back saying that the mags coils were in the process of failing. I guess when I reached a higher altitude it brought out the problem. This is really a bummer as I was looking forward to the trip out to the east coast. But I guess it is better to have this happen at home then on the road.

So there's the update. If you are interested in providing feedback on how I handled this event please do so in a constructive manner (don't be a buttface).

Regards,

All told, well done. Difficult decision to drive, but you demonstrated discipline and did not make "reasonable" excuses to keep flying. 

One thing I did to help myself should an emergency occurred was to laminate the emergency section of the POH and have it in the side pocket up front with me. Before laminating, I highlighted each sub-section so I could quickly find the particular issue. This way I wont forget anything. The section is small and does not take up to much room. It sits behind the std check list. When I get board during a long flight I might quiz myself about "what if" then check my answer with the document. The POH is to big to store in the back seat pocket and does me little good on the hat rack-should a real emergency occur.

Keep good fresh plugs in your airplane as well as a few spares. Check the timing at oil changes. Possibly upgrade to Bendix mags, next time if not already. 

Inflight mag check from time to time. 

In cruise monitor and record LOP settings just to see how efficient your ignition is working. You should be able to tell if something is sliding. Being able to run LOP depends on the ignition system that is Par or better. I don't care if you want to run LOP or not, it's just a good test. 

Your higher altitude ops will be demanding both on you and the airplane. 

I'll take any right crosswind vs. a left. No fault there.

I would be a bit less aggressive with your flight schedule. 

Glad things are getting fixed up. 

-Matt