Swapping to older panel

Heres the deal on the KG102A , as far as install with the Sandel , it uses 7 wires as compared to the KCS55a system , it is a breeze to install , as long as it does not have a gold gyro can , it can be serviced.....If it is post serial # 34951 , it is a Mod 7 power supply and will probably last forever...... The Sandel units will backup the gyro by averaging the flux info into a simulated gyro presentation , hence if you lose the gyro , you are still good ....  The problem with the Sandel install in the panel is that when you pull back the yokeshaft it raises about an inch in an upward arc near the bottom of the lowest hole (The HSI hole) , I compensated for this by shimming the lower mounting holes with flat washers between the panel and the instrument.....this tilted the back of the instrument upward and cleared the yokeshaft , BUT it caused clearance issues between the HSI and the horizon....Its doable , but challenging , And if you have ever flown with a Sandel , It is FANTASTIC!!!!!

jbs007, Scott (KSMooniac) knows exactly what he speaks.

The KG102A remote gyro does require ongoing maintenance. You really should take it to an avionics shop for a checkout. You may find (as we did) that is so far out of currency as far as mod status goes that it could not be made reliable without a lot of money (i.e. not economically repairable.) And, it is somewhat heavy.

The Aspen needs one "antenna", it is called a remote sensing unit, or RSM. It includes a GPS antenna, magnetometer and OAT sensor. Looks sorta like a fat GPS antenna.

The Aspen also gives you immediate and potential capability that the Sandel does not, including ADS capability now and a pretty decent autopilot capability (Avidyne DFC90) in the future. I would not spend money on an initial installation of old technology, with the exception of DME (like the KN63).

Here is what a pair of Aspen antennas look like (I have two Aspens, both PFD capable):

91ebf80c5075a0f4723c8dcd472a3efb.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone.  The gyro is a high serial number (post mod 7 from factory) but I will have it checked before installation.  I didn't know before how easy the entire install is for the Aspen, but given that I already have the Sandel I'll stick with that.  Thanks for the details on the yokeshaft interference!   I'd also hate for my Mooney to go "tits up" 

• Like 1

Thanks Yves that's exactly what I am looking for!  How deep is your current DG? The Sandel 3500 I want to install there is 9.8" deep from the front of the panel.  Does the pilot side panel have to have the bend in it?  could the top row of instruments be co-planar with the bottom row or would that cause interference behind the panel?  Also, there is a spacer between your throttle/mixture/prop knobs and your GPS.  Is that required for clearance behind the panel or could you have removed it and mounted your GPS lower?  Thanks!

Carusoam,  And there is my biggest problem... I have WAY too much time to sit here and think about redoing my instrument panel over the next few months. I wonder if I can think of a way to install a cappuccino maker where the glovebox is...  I bet it starts with a PlanePower alternator!

The panel was done about 10 years ago and I was not directly involved so I have no clue about the tilt requirement. The DG is somewhere between 10 and 12 inches deep IIRC. If you absolutely need it I will bring a tape and measure next time I am at the aircraft.

Yves