Interesting Experience (Shopper Beware)

rubixcube2k3

So I got a little bad news yesterday that both radios had significant problems and were going to need repair or replacement in order to return to service in my panel.  

Since my avionics shop didn't really have an angle except to tell me that they could repair them or replace them if I wanted them to, but I could ship them out or buy somewhere else, I decided to shop around and feel my options out. 

Byron here pointed me to Eddie Washburn who seems like a superb and very knowledgable guy. I'm thinking my Mac1700s and nav indicators are headed to him in the morning.

On the other side of things, I also reached out to Roy Dawson Avionics before I got Eddie's info this morning, as I received word that he also was a great resource on King stuff. 

This is the interesting part. The conversation I had with him was insulting to say it politely. It wasn't a chat with passive ignorance, but more like Active pursuit of being as asinine as possible. I don't mind sharing the entire context of the call if anyone wants to know, but I just wanted to know if what I just learned about his practices is already widely know. And if so, how is this guy still in business? I know if I talked to a potential customer the way he interacted with me, I would have been out of business decades ago. 

Anyway, just a heads up on this experience and Where to and where not to go for help with KX170B/McCoy 1700s

~Abe

I used the old rascal to repair my king. Grumpy is a good word but he does excellent/ quick work. He has been doing this for 30 + years. He turned around the job quick and for less. I understand how he can come off though. I would personally use him again.

Aviation does seem to have a "percentage" of curmudgeons.

Many of them have hearts of gold....some have hearts of coal.  I guess everyone is a diamond in the rough, but some are rougher than others.

My experience is when you meet a rough curmudgeon, who stays in business, there's a reason.