OK, I Give Up. I Want This One

I agree. Sexy looking airplane, but I  wonder how old those photo's are. Don't exactly know why, because they don't look much alike, but it sorta makes me think of an ME108.

According to the FAA registry,since 4/20/09 N231TM has been a Robertson R22 belonging to Casablanca Helecopter in Bethany Beach, DE.

Before that, until 01/05/1989, N231TM was an M20F. Mooney prototype for a military trainer contract bid, maybe???

From what I remember. Mooney, Slingsby and Marchetti and maybe another one bid on the T-41(C-172) replacement back around the late 80's. Some folks think there was a backdoor deal to get the Slingsby T-3 for flight screening involving the C-17 sale to the Brits. I don't know. The plane was fun to fly, but it wasn't initially designed to do what it did. The program lasted a few years then the AF grounded the T-3 and crushed them into little bits. Shame.

• 6 months later...

Seems like the only difference between N20XT (tiger stripe plane) and a standard 231 is the canopy. Looks like it swings up and to rear allowing entry from both wings. I wonder if there is enough interest out there for an STC and kit? If they could do a slider like Vans or Grummans have, I might want one. I really liked the canopy on the Grummans and Diamonds I flew.

Quote: DaV8or

Seems like the only difference between N20XT (tiger stripe plane) and a standard 231 is the canopy. Looks like it swings up and to rear allowing entry from both wings. I wonder if there is enough interest out there for an STC and kit? If they could do a slider like Vans or Grummans have, I might want one. I really liked the canopy on the Grummans and Diamonds I flew.

Quote: DaV8or

OH There was a LOT of changes for that aircraft. First off it had a stick, not a yoke. It was a mishmash of aircraft, M20J, M20K and others. It had problems whith carbon monoxide and Mike Miles said it was a *itch to fly. It was designed to compete against Baron/Bonanza aircraft in the search for a new Air Force Trainer. It was called "tigger". It had a fully acrobatic IO-540 engine (don't remember the model number). My daughter sat in it and still talkes to me about it. (she was 2). Tigger sits in a museum some were now.

• 10 years later...

There may no longer be interest in this topic.  But I helped on the canopy design for 231TM.  A/C  was a rest mule with many "lives" (proof if concept for 231 etc) and had been used  to prove the wing spoiler system for the M30 (301).  The canopy was from a Italian Saia Marchetti aircraft of similar size.  It was modified to fit the 231.  Other than canopy basic 231 (yoke, seats).   Approved by Roy L.  Flown by Carl M.  Not flown that much to my knowledge.  Mike s

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Mike! @Mike s

Nobody gives up interest in specialized Mooneys… :)

I do like the 11 year thread revival though… I was here… back then…

But… for your reading pleasure… let’s find that thread that Dan B just mentioned…

@Pmaxwell is our contact for the project… you probably know his Dad… Don Maxwell…

Best regards,

-a-

Try this on for size… If you like Mooneys… you will love this thread…. Click it!

On 8/22/2021 at 3:10 PM, Danb said:

Did I read on here a few years ago DMAX was going to have it trucked and restore it, can’t remember for sure.

It’s there.  I saw it a few months ago and they are in the process of making it airworthy and flying again. 
its probably pretty close if not done by now.