Fuel leak since bad storm :(

So my M20E is tied down at KHEG and was on the ramp during tropical storm Berrel. Winds 50 - 60 MPH with gusts, etc.

After the storm, the tie down eyelet, ring, whatever it's called, on the right wing was very, very lose. The plane was moving around quite a bit during that storm.

Since then, I noticed a small wet sport. Wiped it try and went for a quick flight.

Upon return, I have a 6 inch blue weep of fuel on the underside of the wing. The tie down eye-let is still lose.

Figure $350-500 to patch correctly. You can try to persuede your insurance company that this was storm related, but I think it would be difficult to prove. I am some what dubious on winds being the cause, and am more inclined to believe that it is just coincidence or the leak was 99% developed and the storm was the last straw. If winds form the storm caused it, than light chop while in flight would have likely done the same. My sense is your insurance company will take a similar position.

Is the leak coming from the area around the eyelet?  If so it seems plausible that the winds did do the damage by stressing that single point.  The stress applied to a jack point, for example, is very different that the force felt in the same size space when the wing is creating lift and holding the aiplane aloft.

If the fuel leak is from some nearby spot I think Ross is correct that your insurance company will be looking for proof.  Good luck in your repairs!

Tailwinds

Yes, the fuel is comming out of the hole that the eyelet screws into.

The annual was 3 weeks ago so that has to prove (I would hope) that fuel wasnt leaking prior. What A&P would sign off on that?

Prior to tying the plane down, before the storm, the eyelet was in correctly. Firm, tight, and identical to the other wing. After the storm, it's dangling sideways.

Have the threads visable.

There were serious gusts and I checked on the plane several times throughout the storm. Wings rocking violently back and forth.

The tie-down eyelet and hole it is threaded into is located in the bay of the Monroy tanks and is a through hole into the tanks.  The Monroy STC only calls for the tank side of the hole to be sealed with PRC.  If there is motion of the tie-down threaded shaft, usually by threading it in further than when it was sealed, this can and will cause a leak.  I would assume that pulling on the tie down would also cause enough shift to upset the PRC.  The usual fix (and recommended install) for the Monroy tanks in this area is to make a little hat from aluminum, riveted to the area over the tie-down, and then PRC over it.  Then this area will be sealed like the rest of the tank and the seal of the threaded through hole will be protected from movement of the threaded shaft of the eyelet.

The next problem that bothers me is that the eyelet is loose.  Dus the force partially strip the threads on the tiedown or the wing.  This needs to be investigated as well.  Also, once the fuel leak is repaired as above, you should check for leaks in other places.

John Breda

Un modified tanks are not penetrated by the tie down. Extended range tanks seem to occupy the next bay over.  

Back in the day, mooney recommended removing the eyelets prior to flight.  They used to drop like eyelet bombs.

suggest, Lasar to help, they sell a nice aerodynamic upgrade for the tie down. Properly sealed and not strained would be a nice upgrade.

This doesn't sound like serious "damage".  Essentially have proper mechanic remove the bolt, clean up, seal and torque tight.  Use the Lasar upgrade and you don't have to clean an old rusty bolt.

The coarse thread makes the bolt easier to remove for flight. Pulling on it with the force of a storm, is known to loosen them.

The Lasar set will improve the loosening under load situation.  Pilot tried to taxi while tied down, can have the same result......

Total cost estimate: an hour or two plus some parts.

I am not a mechanic, just a friend on the Internet....

Let me know what you find out...

Best regards,

-a-

The tie down is threaded into a piece of aluminum angle that is attached to the back side of the spar.  My threads were loose and when the plane was jacked up they finished stripping out.  Luckly the plane stayed on the jacks and nothing else was hurt.

Quote: carusoam

Was the plane jacked up for the annual?

The eyelet would have been removed for jacking points.

... The Lasar tie downs include the jacking point in their design....

Back to the mechanic to "finish" the job properly?

-a-

I bought the Lasar Jack point / tie down combo - looks great functions better - believe I got at least 6 knots Cool 

Prior I used jack points, but there was no thread on them, just a smooth shaft that slid into the tie down hole. 

You may want to look into either to prevent future issues.

Quote: maropers

I bought the Lasar Jack point / tie down combo - looks great functions better - believe I got at least 6 knots Cool 

Prior I used jack points, but there was no thread on them, just a smooth shaft that slid into the tie down hole. 

You may want to look into either to prevent future issues.