Advice for flying into DC?

I’d appreciate some common sense advice/feedback from those of you that fly in and out of the capital. 

With all of the security procedures in place, would it make more sense to airliner up, or is a regular GA flight possible without a lot of stress?

My main goal for the first trip up would be to visit Arlington and do some sightseeing.  FF shows it to be three hours away, so certainly a doable distance. 

Thanks. 

I've looked into flying out to see family in the DC area.  Looks like filing IFR would make it procedurally much more straightforward.  Vs VFR flight and needing the DC SFRA course completion and a more clear understanding of where you want to go and how you're going to get there.  Following thread for more information from locals and those experienced with the SFRA area.  Also curious if anyone has favorite GA airports/FBOs in the area.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlueSky247 said:

I’d appreciate some common sense advice/feedback from those of you that fly in and out of the capital. 

With all of the security procedures in place, would it make more sense to airliner up, or is a regular GA flight possible without a lot of stress?

My main goal for the first trip up would be to visit Arlington and do some sightseeing.  FF shows it to be three hours away, so certainly a doable distance. 

Thanks. 

I might consider just landing at RMN or HWY or similar just outside the special use airspace depending on which way you’re coming from.  It’s not terrible to use closer ones, but it’s very busy, more expensive, and you’re actually pretty close to DC from those outer airports.  If you have a compelling reason to go into the bubble, it’s doable but will take more effort in planning and more care in flying the busy airspace (and likely more parking/fuel $$).

• Thanks 1

The SFRA training is pretty lightweight and its all online.   If you are in the system with a discrete squawk and VFR flight following it's easy to get around SFRA as long as you don't want to get within the Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) within 15 nm of DCA. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been to DC a few times and always flew into Manassas (HEF).  It’s just inside the SFRA so you do have to complete the training online but ATC is very helpful so getting in and out is easy.  

The FBOs at HEF have rental cars available and it’s a short drive into the city.  Stay in Alexandria and ride the subway into town.  Most of the sights are a short walk from a subway station or its really not that bad to just walk everywhere.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marc_B said:

I've looked into flying out to see family in the DC area.  Looks like filing IFR would make it procedurally much more straightforward.  Vs VFR flight and needing the DC SFRA course completion and a more clear understanding of where you want to go and how you're going to get there.  Following thread for more information from locals and those experienced with the SFRA area.  Also curious if anyone has favorite GA airports/FBOs in the area.

I guess that makes sense. I don’t need any of the training if I just file IFR?

https://www.faasafety.gov/gslac/ALC/courseLanding.aspx?cID=405

Successful completion of this course fulfills the regulatory requirement for special awareness training on the Washington DC Special Flight Rules Area (SFRA) for pilots flying under VFR within 60 nm of the DCA VOR/DME.

According to FAR 91.161 I was under the impression this was applicable to VFR flights in the SFRA.

According to AOPA, all of the following operations are exempt from the training requirement:

Pilots operating under instrument flight rules (IFR);

Law enforcement, military, and aeromedical operations; and

A pilot who must deviate to the extent necessary to address an emergency situation.

However, if a pilot operating under IFR within 60 nm of the DCA VOR/DME decides to cancel IFR and continue the flight under VFR, he must have completed the training course requirement.

Of course if you're flying into the DC SFRA it probaby makes sense to take the free FAA course for education anyways!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is a good idea to take the SFRA training even if you are filing IFR as there are some differences in how you cancel.  

Summary: Don’t ever squawk 1200 inside the SFRA.

Suggestion:  Inside the SFRA don’t cancel IFR until after landing. 

• Like 3

Indian head (2W5) and Leesburg (KJYO) are the closest to the National Cemetery. Leesburg is about 15 mins from nearest metro station.

Leesburg  is in the SFRA and requires training but does not require a SFRA flight plan. It does require that you squawk 1226 on ingress and egress.  Leesburg is a rare Class E, remote towered airport. Operationally it’s pretty much the same as a Class D.

Procedures for landing Leesburg are straight forward.  I would recommend you get VFR advisories well ahead of arriving near DC.  On a few occasions ATC has asked me to keep my discrete squawk code until landing rather than switch to 1226.  I don’t know why.  I’ve never had a problem either way.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, natdm said:

I guess that makes sense. I don’t need any of the training if I just file IFR?

Wrong.  You need the training if you fly within 60 nm of DCA VOR.

And the one cardinal rule is, NEVER squawk 1200 in the SFRA itself.  Not even on the ground.  When you land, leave the last code in your transponder until you are leaving and get a new code.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2024 at 6:17 AM, Pinecone said:

Can you point us to a regulation that says this?   The way I read it, this is for VFR only.

The SFR at https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-14/chapter-I/subchapter-F/part-91/subpart-B/subject-group-ECFR4d5279ba676bedc/section-91.161 says 

Except as provided under paragraph (e) of this section, no person may serve as a pilot in command or as second in command of an aircraft while flying within a 60-nautical mile radius of the DCA VOR/DME, under VFR, unless that pilot has completed Special Awareness Training and holds a certificate of training completion.

So it would seem to me that this only applies to VFR aircraft.   Personally, I've done this and I've flown in and out of the SFRA under VFR.   It was a little confusing initially, but after about the second time it was absolutely no problem.

On 9/16/2024 at 8:17 AM, Pinecone said:

And the one cardinal rule is, NEVER squawk 1200 in the SFRA itself.  Not even on the ground.  When you land, leave the last code in your transponder until you are leaving and get a new code.

This is incorrect. 91.161. Nothing special for any IFR operations, except for you'll cancel on the ground and open on the ground. 

It certainly cannot hurt to do the free training, but it is absolutely not required if flying under IFR.

On 9/15/2024 at 7:42 PM, N204TA said:

I’ve been to DC a few times and always flew into Manassas (HEF).  It’s just inside the SFRA so you do have to complete the training online but ATC is very helpful so getting in and out is easy.  

The FBOs at HEF have rental cars available and it’s a short drive into the city.  Stay in Alexandria and ride the subway into town.  Most of the sights are a short walk from a subway station or its really not that bad to just walk everywhere.

Manassas HEF is super close to a Virginia Railway Express (VRE) terminal (2 miles), and with that it's an easy hop into downtown DC or the DC Metro system generally.  Uber or rental cars are expensive.  Parking in DC is ALWAYS expensive.

Definitely do the SFRA training, whether or not you're required to do so. 

I used to base at one of the DC3 airports (inside the Flight Restricted Zone /FRZ) and it was reallllllyyyyy common to hear the powers that be scrambling the Coast Guard helos for some poor fool who had inadvertently stumbled across the line.  Yes, filing IFR will go a long way to avoiding that, but still better to monitor guard on 121.5 and do the SFRA training.  Even very experienced pilots have been busted.

Take the training as some people pointed out. It's 45 minutes online, not a big deal.

Then, if VFR, the easiest is to fly to Leesburg, VA (JYO). Leesburg sits in a "cut out" of the SFRA where you don't have to file an SFRA flight plan and can enter/exit the cutout freely, if you follow the rules (special squawk code etc., outlined in the training); it's referred to as the Leesburg Maneuvering Area (LMA), and it's under the Dulles Class B airspace.

If you opt to go to another airport (GAI, HEF) instead, then you need to file an SFRA flight plan, which is basically an IFR flight plan, but VFR for the SFRA. The SFRA has "gates" (sections of the perimeter of the area); entering, you need to file from a gate (eg. LUCKE) to an airport; exiting, from the airport to a gate. Call the SFRA ATC freq before entering the area, and wait for clearance (they'll issue you a squawk code). No lingering or "flying around" - they expect you to go straight to destination.

IFR, as other have mentioned, is just regular IFR, no frills.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bigmo said:

This is incorrect. 91.161. Nothing special for any IFR operations, except for you'll cancel on the ground and open on the ground. 

It certainly cannot hurt to do the free training, but it is absolutely not required if flying under IFR.

OK, my mistake.

But without the training, you might cancel and change squawk to 1200 and that would be a VERY BAD THING.

32 minutes ago, Ricky_231 said:

Call the SFRA ATC freq before entering the area, and wait for clearance (they'll issue you a squawk code). No lingering or "flying around" - they expect you to go straight to destination.

But they never clear you into the SFRA.  The controller will say "Squawk Code Received"

Overall, very strange.  But student pilots figure it out. :)

• Like 1

My 2 cents (about what its worth too)

I'm based out of RMN, so fairly familiar with the SFRA.  I'd advise do the online training, carry the smart card, it can't hurt.  I'd also advise not flying into the SFRA (I know, opinions are like..) but I say this because you don't really get a benefit for all the hassle.  You are marginally closer to your ground destination, but will pay for that privilege.  You won't "see" anything from the air because you will not only have to deal with the SFRA, but there is only a marginal chance you will get cleared into the Bravo (they even route IFR around it)...so you will be below that shelf and if you look, that's pretty low.  The cool stuff to look at is all inside the FRZ and there's pretty much zero chance of getting in there (sure, background check, fingerprints..there's ways, but worth the time/money/hassle?)

Leesburg (JYO) has the cutout, it also has a couple of flight schools and the traffic in/out is heavy (and since you are going VFR, they will be out in force in the same weather you will be using).  Parking is simple, FBO is nice, and you are close-ish to metro to get downtown. Tower "closes" at night here too (early, not midnight), that catches people sometimes.

Manassas (HEF) is inside the SFRA, but parking can get pricey (though is the spot for a hanger is you need one), close to VRE/Amtrak to get downtown, rental cars, etc.  Towered and with several flight schools, also gets very busy.  Its not uncommon to sit at the departure end for an extended time waiting for a hole in the traffic that tower will squeeze you into (roughly 2/10 times leaving there for me).

Warrenton (HWY) is just outside the SFRA, nice airport but not close to anything.  You will need a rental car if you go here. No tower, but on Sundays the Flying Circus is going (grass strip just to the east) with some traffic (and they don't all have ADSB, but are brightly colored..nice show too).

Stafford (RMN), is just outside the SFRA, no tower, flight school has about 3 planes, so they are there, but not really clobbering the pattern, rental cars available on the field or short Uber/Lift to the train station.  (I used to commute to DC, its about $12 from Fredericksburg to DC, easy switch to metro to get you everywhere you want to go). Parking is dead simple and the airport is pretty friendly.

For all the spots where you are thinking about train, VRE runs into the city in the morning and out of the city in the afternoon/evening..Amtrak does its own thing so YMMV.

Driving from RMN to DC is about 45 min unless someone goes sidewise on I-95 (happens).  HEF to DC is about the same on I-66. JYO is further out than HEF. Parking in DC is challenging and watch out for 'right on red'...

If you haven't already found them

VRE  https://www.vre.org/

Metro https://www.wmata.com/service/rail/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pinecone said:

But they never clear you into the SFRA.  The controller will say "Squawk Code Received"

Overall, very strange.  But student pilots figure it out. :)

Im pretty sure that I have been verbally cleared into the SFRA many times; sometime direct to my destination within the SFRA and others via the filed entry gate. Clearance was usually accompanied by instructions to remain clear of Bravo. I have not had a need to file a SFRA flight plan for many years so perhaps things have changed.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Im pretty sure that I have been verbally cleared into the SFRA many times; sometime direct to my destination within the SFRA and others via the filed entry gate. Clearance was usually accompanied by instructions to remain clear of Bravo. I have not had a need to file a SFRA flight plan for many years so perhaps things have changed.

I've had both happen. I think it's controller dependent, also if they're only working sfra or if they're working regular traffic too. Just guessing here...

• Thanks 1