Leaking Slip Joint on #1 Cylinder

1988 J with single landing light in the cowl.

I had the cowl off recently and noticed exhaust stain on the inside of the cowl, just below the landing light. Is there any non-destructive procedure that can be employed to seal up the leaking slip joint on the #1 pipe? Both of the other two pipes slip easily and get Mouse Milk routinely. I understand welding is an option but am hoping there may exist a way to pinch or shrink the bell by a few thousandths. Or, stretching the down pipe would be another option. 

Thoughts?

Chuck

Is welding a slip-joint really an option?  I would think the slip-joint is there by design to allow for slight movement caused by temperature cycling; wouldn't welding the joint be a perfect invitation to developing cracks?

1 minute ago, MikeOH said:

Is welding a slip-joint really an option?  I would think the slip-joint is there by design to allow for slight movement caused by temperature cycling; wouldn't welding the joint be a perfect invitation to developing cracks?

Sorry I wasn’t more clear on this. I was referring to welding a new bell onto the pipe, replacing a potentially worn one. However, this muffler isn’t very old as it was replaced not too long ago.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RoundTwo said:

1988 J with single landing light in the cowl.

I had the cowl off recently and noticed exhaust stain on the inside of the cowl, just below the landing light. Is there any non-destructive procedure that can be employed to seal up the leaking slip joint on the #1 pipe? Both of the other two pipes slip easily and get Mouse Milk routinely. I understand welding is an option but am hoping there may exist a way to pinch or shrink the bell by a few thousandths. Or, stretching the down pipe would be another option. 

Thoughts?

Chuck

Some staining is normal there, as well as other places inside the cowl.    I just clean the stains off of mine once a year or so.    They don't really do any damage.   They're just from exhaust leaks at startup before the pipes get hot enough to expand and seal against each other.

• Like 3