J model overhaul and costs

Has anyone gone through the whole overhaul process on a J model recently and willing to share the details? Where done, R&R cost, overhaul cost, down time, extras, etc..  The threads I've been able to find are at least a couple years old. I've looked at the prices on Air Power for engines from Lyc.  I know some guys get the willies seeing everything all added up in front of them, but some of us need that kind of info. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, but this was before Covid:
Zephyr did the engine overhaul, and I had Palm Beach Propeller overhaul the prop. I had a cracked case that couldn’t be repaired and replaced it with new case that added around +$4k to the cost.
I replaced the alternator (was oversized and not a normal Mooney alternator) with new. The starter was only year or so old, so I didn’t do anything to it.
I replaced all the control cables with new.
Stripped and repainted the engine mount frame.
Disassembled the baffling and replaced the silicone, had a broken piece replaced with new fabricated one, replaced rusted and broken hot air intake screen with stainless steel.
Painted all the sheet metal to be black.
The oil cooler was replaced by PO, so didn’t do anything but flush it.
Replace some of the hardware on the flaps.

Problem missing something, because of the cracked case it took 4 months , was scheduled to take 2.

I did some of the work and the hours AP charged was double his non written estimate.
I told the AP to mount the engine higher to allow it room to sag. He didn’t do that, now my engine sits a little lower than ideal.

Living this nightmare currently.  Engine delivered to rebuilder in October of 2022. Spent many months waiting on parts.  Still waiting on assembly.  In line behind all the engines that came in before mine during supply disruption.  At this point I have no idea when I might fly again.  Have owned since August 2022 and have a grand total of 30 on my plane.

At this point in time, I would not get in line for a rebuild if the engine is in safe flying condition.

• Sad 4

We disassembled mine in January of 2020 and had it in the air by July.  My case was fretted and no longer airworthy so I jumped on the refurbished case from Divco.  I was fortunate to get all of the parts before the major supply chain disruption, including the new camshaft and DLC lifters.  Cylinders, gears, rods, pistons, and everything else were serviceable. 

I removed the engine and but nothing in the field overhaul and engine assembly itself, but I did the entire installation by myself with oversight and sign-off.  I learned a ton about my airplane, and I cannot place a value on what I learned.

All in, it was around 25K.... with a lot of sweat equity.  

Since then we have made multiple long haul trips including my eclipse trip with a stop in Destin FL.  This is my longest adventure, over 2,500 NM round trip.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Paul Thomas said:

Overhaul from reputable shops seem to be ~42k with a lead time of 12 weeks up to 6 months.

R&R will depend on your shop and what else you do while you're there.

Holy smokes, $42k!

I paid about $15k for a four-cylinder Lycoming overhaul about ten years ago, and I sort of assumed this would be closer to $25k today. But $42k is a lot of money for a field overhaul.

On 4/10/2024 at 9:08 AM, good2eat said:

Premier in Troutdale, OR

I have heard they do good work, but you’re the second or third person I’ve heard that has a horror story about the time…

Lycoming is 18-22 months back ordered for an engine. This is as of last week. 

If you want specifics you’re going to need to hammer the phone and talk to several shops to narrow it down. Cost and time will vary dramatically. Find your best combo. 

Whatever you do, do not under any circumstance read the old threads and consider Jewell Aviation Kennett, MO unless you want to overhaul it twice to fix their overhaul. 

Pulled a PT6 in July last year. Just received it back from OH this month. Stabbed it on today. 
Seems that way across the board with regards to timing.

-Matt

5DA0D37B-7510-4451-8338-749EAD0D069C.jpeg

Edited by MB65E
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1