Seeking a serviceable (working) magnetic compass for my 65 M20E.

8 hours ago, Mooneydreamr said:

I would be very appreciative of a source for this part.

Several different manufacturers make these in different form factors.  You gotta give us more detail or a photo so we know what you are talking about.

• Like 1

A couple of ways to attack this challenge…

Airpath is the standard compass maker found in most Mooneys…

Aircraft spruce carries all the parts needed for OH, or just filling, including new seals and a fresh compass calibration card… or a complete swap for new…

for a pre-flown replacement direct from an actual Mooney…

contact Alan….  At Mooney Parts R Us… @Alan Fox

there are better compasses available….

there is also a reason why you may be asking about fixing the old compass… when the problem is not the compass itself…

this is called degaussing….

there is a nice steel tube frame that can get accidentally magnetized…

When this occurs, the compass can slow/stall during standard rate turns…. Then accelerate to catch up…  making partial panel under the hood exercises impossible to accomplish…

For degaussing the airframe… there are plenty of discussions around here somewhere….

its not a common occurrence… unless you bring a giant vacuum cleaner with a big electric motor inside the cabin…. :)

modern Mooneys actually got a SS tube down the center, where the older Mooneys got a more magnetic sensitive steel…

PP thoughts only… my first attempt at training for the IR went on hold for this reason…

Best regards,

-a-

Did this three weeks ago. Roughly $12 for the repair kit that comes with new seals and liquid. If it is leaking, this is the quickest solution. If you just want to replace, I'd still do the repair given the cost is minimal while searching for the replacement.

Mine was dripping about twice per-hour when in flight and took a while for me to figure out where the smell was coming from. 

• Like 1