Avionics upgrade

Bigdaddie

We are filling our panel with lots of $$$$.  Space is precious.  We are thinking of moving the gear switch so as to provide space for those pretty TV screens.

Has anyone done this and have you had any pushback from an IA saying you can't modify the gear switch?

Steve

I should have given more information about this.  We are looking at moving the switch, retaining the factory switch, override and wiring, from the top of the panel to probably left of the throttle.  Numerous manufacturers place the gear handle here.  It is WAY far away from the flap switch (these are not Bonanzas!).

The IA I spoke with is a well respected Mooney guy, but he has his strong opinions.  The Mooney service center where I have my annuals done did not think it would be an issue.

It would suck to have to make a new panel over this issue.

Steve

45 minutes ago, Bigdaddie said:

I should have given more information about this.  We are looking at moving the switch, retaining the factory switch, override and wiring, from the top of the panel to probably left of the throttle.  Numerous manufacturers place the gear handle here.  It is WAY far away from the flap switch (these are not Bonanzas!).

The IA I spoke with is a well respected Mooney guy, but he has his strong opinions.  The Mooney service center where I have my annuals done did not think it would be an issue.

It would suck to have to make a new panel over this issue.

Steve

Mooney apparently thought it was okay to move it.

image.jpeg.2bc7faf434d95b5e22381d2033a5580b.jpeg

• Like 3

I do like having it in your easy field of view just so it's super easy to get a visual check on final, but, as long as it meets Part 23 criteria (which I don't know why it wouldn't), I don't know why you couldn't move it to suit you.

16 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I do like having it in your easy field of view just so it's super easy to get a visual check on final, but, as long as it meets Part 23 criteria (which I don't know why it wouldn't), I don't know why you couldn't move it to suit you.

In airliners or GA airplanes, I rarely check the position of the landing gear handle on final.  It's usually a check of the gear indication (annunciator and floor indication on the Mooney) and that's it.  BUT, I do like your idea of checking the gear handle in addition of the other two.  I have yet to gear up land....... Y E T...... 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bigdaddie said:

In airliners or GA airplanes, I rarely check the position of the landing gear handle on final.  It's usually a check of the gear indication (annunciator and floor indication on the Mooney) and that's it.  BUT, I do like your idea of checking the gear handle in addition of the other two.  I have yet to gear up land....... Y E T...... 

“Handle down, 3 green, 4 good pressures, flaps t/o”… I just remembered the F-15 callout prior to  base turn.  We checked the handle.  I check it still but no reason you can’t check it in your new desired position.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bigdaddie said:

I visually check the switch & green light on base and on final, and on short final the green floor indicator (mine is painted on the gear mechanism and cannot be wrong).

• 3 months later...