Changing Flight ID G1000

I was planning an Angel Flight today and researched how to change my Flight ID. YouTube shows going to Timer/Ref on the PFD and then being able to do it. This isn’t the case on mine, it doesn’t even show the line for Flight ID. Anyone have experience doing this? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know about Angel flights but changing your ADSB flight ID is a pain. Why do you need to change it? If it is just for a call sign, you can put it in the remarks section of the flight plan and all the controllers will see it. In the airline world when you initialize the FMS you put in the flight number and in some of the 737, 757’s I flew the flight number went into the transponder. 

8 hours ago, 65MooneyPilot said:

I don’t know about Angel flights but changing your ADSB flight ID is a pain. Why do you need to change it? If it is just for a call sign, you can put it in the remarks section of the flight plan and all the controllers will see it. In the airline world when you initialize the FMS you put in the flight number and in some of the 737, 757’s I flew the flight number went into the transponder. 

I'm not sure what you are picturing, In a G1000, the "pain" takes about the same amount of time as entering the minimums on an instrument approach. It's actually in the same place.

image.png.e50e61bc3a2d77835aa2c91bc21af917.png

Even with a stand-alone  transponder like a Stratus ESG, about 10-15 seconds at most.

To be clear, it's not changing the Mode S code associated with your N-Number. To use your description, all you are doing is entering your flight number in the transponder.

12 minutes ago, Pinecone said:

Not sure about the G1000, but the GTX-345 saves that last 4 Flight IDs.  So switching between your N number and a Call Sign (as long as it is the same each time) it pretty quick and easy.

The R-345 fed through the G1000s I've seen do not, but that may be generation-dependent. I don't think fed through a GTN does either. Of course, it's easier with a GTN but it would be a good feature to be able to switch easily. Changes the 10-15 seconds to 5 :D 

I'm not sure what you are picturing, In a G1000, the "pain" takes about the same amount of time as entering the minimums on an instrument approach. It's actually in the same place.
image.png.e50e61bc3a2d77835aa2c91bc21af917.png
Even with a stand-alone  transponder like a Stratus ESG, about 10-15 seconds at most.
 To be clear, it's not changing the Mode S code associated with your N-Number. To use your description, all you are doing is entering your flight number in the transponder.

Mine doesn’t show mins or Flight ID as yours does.

59 minutes ago, GaryP1007 said:

Mine doesn’t show mins or Flight ID as yours does.

I'm surprised it doesn't  allow you to set approach minimums. I wonder whether that's an even older software version than the ones I've seen.
Edit: Looking thought some  old stuff it was added to the Mooney G1000 in 2006.

image.png.ab702d6b227fc970ed0e23158e3d7e67.png

I'm not surprised about the Flight iD since the default with Garmin transponders is hidden and it has to be opened by an installer. I am assuming you have a Garmin R345 transponder with its functions accessed via the G1000 rather than the stand-alone version @Pinecone mentioned.

I'm surprised it doesn't  allow you to set approach minimums. I wonder whether that's an even older software version than the ones I've seen.
Edit: Looking thought some  old stuff it was added to the Mooney G1000 in 2006.
image.png.ab702d6b227fc970ed0e23158e3d7e67.png
I'm not surprised about the Flight iD since the default with Garmin transponders is hidden and it has to be opened by an installer. I am assuming you have a Garmin R345 transponder with its functions accessed via the G1000 rather than the stand-alone version [mention=50295]Pinecone[/mention] mentioned.

I set mine in the FPL section of the MFD. Not on the PFD.

THANKS.

I looked in the cockpit reference guide, and even the 2006 guide 190-00450-02 rev D includes the instructions on how to set it in the Timer window.   So I think it is available in every version.  but let us know your GDU version..  

To refresh,  mode S transponders have always required Flight ID.. so the original GTX33 had that feature, therefore all G1000 units support it. 

My 2008 G1000 Line maintenance manual (Which goes up  to GDU 9.x)  says:

FLIGHT ID TYPE: Allows the technician to select Flight ID type:

For operation requiring the flight crew to enter an aircraft identification designator each time the G1000 system is powered up, select the FLIGHT ID TYPE ‘PFD ENTRY’. When this choice is selected and the crew enters the Flight ID correctly upon startup, the flight number call sign for radio contact with ATC is the same flight identification that the GTX 33 Mode S transponder replies to ATC radar interrogations. Selecting PFD ENTRY allows the flight ID to remain the same as that entered during the previous flight until it is updated, the crew is not prompted to update the flight ID. The selections ‘SAME AS TAIL’ and ‘CONFIG ENTRY’ are fixed Mode S addresses. The two fixed selections do not require any transponder interaction from the flight crew, whereas ‘PFD ENTRY’ always does. Selection

Description

CONFIG ENTRY

Allows technician to enter Flight ID while in configuration mode only.

PFD ENTRY

Allows pilot/technician to enter Flight ID at the PFD in normal mode.

SAME AS TAIL

It seems you need to change the G1000 config, or have your Garmin tech do it for you..   It would be perfectly safe for you to put the system into Maint  mode and view the current setting to confirm you are set to "CONFIG ENTRY".   Mine is set to CONFIG ENTRY.  (under the XPDR1 page on the PFD). 

If Address Type is US Tail, allows Flight ID to use the same number.

I don’t have a G1000 so it is a pain for me. I would have to go into the maintenance setup every time. Sounds like the G1000 can be setup like transport category airplanes. If you do change the setup, which looks easy, you just have to add checking it every time during your preflight. It should retain the last flight ID until you change it so when you complete the Angel flight you just put the “N” number back in. In the US, I have never been questioned about having the wrong flight ID entered in, but in Europe they will tell you it’s wrong right after departure.

3 hours ago, 65MooneyPilot said:

I don’t have a G1000 so it is a pain for me. I would have to go into the maintenance setup every time. Sounds like the G1000 can be setup like transport category airplanes. If you do change the setup, which looks easy, you just have to add checking it every time during your preflight. It should retain the last flight ID until you change it so when you complete the Angel flight you just put the “N” number back in. In the US, I have never been questioned about having the wrong flight ID entered in, but in Europe they will tell you it’s wrong right after departure.

What do you have? It's also user-easy in a number of other GA setups. Maybe most. AFIK all the Garmin transponders have the ability. @Pinecone mentioned the GTX -345. The GTX-345R is the remote version commonly used with the G1000 but the ID is easily user-accessible through a GTN GPS. Even the GNX-375, Garmin's combo GPS/Transponder has it accessible with a few taps. I've done it with the Stratus ESG as well. I suspect it's easy with most others on the market too.

Interesting about the US and the wrong Flight ID. I had an experience with that in the past two weeks. I filed IFR under my Foreflight ID but forgot all about it and didn't change the Flight ID. I didn't even remember until I called to pick it up my clearance in the air. I used my N-Number. The controller responded with my Flight ID. And ever controller between Raleigh, NC and Allentown, PA responded to my FF Callsign even though it wasn't being broadcast.

I'm not completely sure how it works but I think in the US at least, ATC sees both. N-Number and Flight ID. And while they are supposed to match, I suspect a problem only arises when you go deeper into the system installation side and disassociate the ICAO 6-digit hex from the real N-Number.

9 hours ago, 65MooneyPilot said:

Ok, just read the Trig manual and it appears easier to change the flight ID than I thought. I will have to try it next time I go to the hangar.

I learn or re-learn something every day.

So do I.

I don't know your transponder but I looked at a picture.

image.png.4fff5dd8c3f47c2d7aac3863b2d02bd1.png

Let me guess. Press that FLT/SQ button until the N-Number shows and change it almost as easily as a squawk code ("almost" because in a dial interface, letters take longer to enter than numbers). 

In the Appareo, it's the FUNC button, but that "FLT" is too tempting :D