Top of Wing Fuel Gauges. Need advice.

Jer

9 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Got any better ideas? Order them from Mooney and wait.

I see them advertised as "Jr" for a smaller size, and "Sr" for a larger size.Ā  These appear to be the smaller size, and for $17 it might be worth a try.Ā  I think their picture showing the c-to-c dimensions between the screw holes is not the version being sold.Ā  The other two pictures look about right.

https://partstour.top/product/rochester-5323s01792-replacement-jr-sized-dial-capsule/

7 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

I see them advertised as "Jr" for a smaller size, and "Sr" for a larger size.Ā  These appear to be the smaller size, and for $17 it might be worth a try.Ā  I think their picture showing the c-to-c dimensions between the screw holes is not the version being sold.Ā  The other two pictures look about right.

https://partstour.top/product/rochester-5323s01792-replacement-jr-sized-dial-capsule/

Looks like it might be too big. I could calculate the diameter from the drawing, but I donā€™t know the diameter of the Mooney dial. It seems like it is about 1 1/4 inches.

23 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Looks like it might be too big. I could calculate the diameter from the drawing, but I donā€™t know the diameter of the Mooney dial. It seems like it is about 1 1/4 inches.

With the tabs removed, the "outer circle" dimension is 1.57 and the "inner circle" dimension is 1.38. Ā Not sure if additional disassembly would be required after the tabs come off, but the final dimension is probably one of those.

4 minutes ago, Fly Boomer said:

With the tabs removed, the "outer circle" dimension is 1.57 and the "inner circle" dimension is 1.38. Ā Not sure if additional disassembly would be required after the tabs come off, but the final dimension is probably one of those.

Yep, somebody needs to measure a Mooney dial. I won't be out to the airport till tomorrow.

Ā 

I bought some of these gauges that were marked for propane bottles or something.Ā  I have been meaning to test fit them to see how they fit in our holes.Ā  The ones I bought did NOT have flanges on them.Ā  I am only out about $15 for the two of them.Ā  I would think if I get motivated enough I will mount one in the lathe cut the top off and then just reglue onto the old one.Ā  I doubt they wear out mechanically.Ā  Ā  Ā Ā 

I started this project and got distracted by other nonsense.Ā Ā 

I had to buy a new one years ago, maybe $100+?Ā  little bit pissed about it as it leaked moisture into the gauge and forced me to remove it and reweld it with some type of solvent glue.Ā  So we aren't paying for a high quality product.Ā  We are paying for the low volume and the custom template.Ā 

will get to the hangar (hanger) near future and get some pictures.Ā Ā 

3 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

I just tried to order from this site but was unable to get a confirming text from them. Has anyone bought from them before?Ā 

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I know you are a CB because you own a Mooney, but you can't spring for the $17?

I suppose I could part with the $17, but I don't have a loose gauge that I could hold up side-by-side with the new one to be certain they are the same size.Ā  And, I'm not as motivated to splurge on a $17 item as I might be if I had a hole in my wing where one of my gauges used to be.Ā :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just received and installed the boat gauge from Amazon. It's plastic and doesn't show gallons but it will work until the actual ones are available. I had to trim the ears off and have sealed around the top edge with a transparent sealant.Ā 

Ā 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000MTCRBO?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Ā 

The US Amazon site is substantially lessĀ 

Moeller Marine Mechanical Direct Sight Fuel Tank Read Capsule,White,One,035759-10

070D82F1-DAA4-4F49-BB38-0D51384F55F5_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 4

Just received and installed the boat gauge from Amazon. It's plastic and doesn't show gallons but it will work until the actual ones are available. I had to trim the ears off and have sealed around the top edge with a transparent sealant.Ā 
070D82F1-DAA4-4F49-BB38-0D51384F55F5_1_201_a.jpeg.97d7f4bcda868ec48db9afd4a5242fa5.jpeg

What did you glue it in with?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

I used an adhesive silicone. Just enough of a dab in the recess to hold it in. I wasn't sure what the factory used but it's similar what I had to scrape out when it was taken out.Ā 

From Amazon:Ā 

Moeller Marine Mechanical Direct Sight Fuel Tank Read Capsule,White,One,035759-10

23 hours ago, Steve Dawson said:

Ā 

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000MTCRBO?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Did you determine somehow that the $17 version would not work?

• 9 months later...
On 11/12/2023 at 8:20 AM, Steve Dawson said:

I used an adhesive silicone. Just enough of a dab in the recess to hold it in. I wasn't sure what the factory used but it's similar what I had to scrape out when it was taken out.Ā 

Hi, just saw another post that re-vivified this thread. I recently dealt with this problem, and got a lot of helpful advice, including to fill the cavity behind the capsule with RTV to prevent water freeze/thaw cycles from eventually dislodging the gauge:Ā 

) toĀ