Firm numbers

Stnelson903

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I know...  I'm just trying to passive aggressively venting frustration with those pilots who tell me I shouldn't be doing something that is perfectly legal, common, and acceptable, just because THEY think it's dangerous. ;)

I know plenty of pilots who just stay in the pattern and only take off if it's calm, clear, and sunny. Good for them. But it's not me.

Flying is dangerous. Flying single engine is more dangerous. But we're pilots, it's what we do. Get over it. 

I see this a LOT here! And try hard ti present the other side in a reasonable manner, but sometimes I just lose it . . . .

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I know...  I'm just trying to passive aggressively venting frustration with those pilots who tell me I shouldn't be doing something that is perfectly legal, common, and acceptable, just because THEY think it's dangerous. ;)

I know plenty of pilots who just stay in the pattern and only take off if it's calm, clear, and sunny. Good for them. But it's not me.

Flying is dangerous. Flying single engine is more dangerous. But we're pilots, it's what we do. Get over it. 

What we do, as pilots, is manage risk in relation to a mission.  If that level of risk is acceptable, we fly, otherwise we cancel.  I wouldn’t fault someone for recognizing that they will only accept Day, vmc flying any more than I would someone who stays current and proficient and flys routine hard IMC missions.  I would certainly fault someone for trolling around hard IMC, single engine, over mountains, at night, if they only keep the bare minimum proficiency required for an IFR ticket, and hadn’t spent any time in hard IMC over the past 12 or so months.  Accepting that level of risk seems high for me, even though it’s legal, as the pilot is not as proficient as they probably should be to fly that mission.  

Personally, I avoid carrying my family over mountains at night in IMC, although I don’t hesitate to do that mission if it’s just me in the plane.  My risk matrix changes when my family is onboard.  And I fly quite a bit in hard IMC, and execute far more than the requirements to keep IFR proficiency.

Be happy you’re not paid to fly... there are times I’m forced to accept more risk than I’d like to, personally.  But that’s why I’m paid in government cheese, I suppose.  It gives me a healthy respect for the weather, too I guess.

their will always be people that will “judge you” without thought as to why or how another would operate (this is common in anything in life).  It is simple, though... assess how much risk you’re willing to accept, plan and fly accordingly.  If your computations are correct, you’ll have a long, fruitful flying career.

so... long story just to say that I agree with you.  If you’re good for it, then do it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What we do, as pilots, is manage risk in relation to a mission.  If that level of risk is acceptable, we fly, otherwise we cancel.  I wouldn’t fault someone for recognizing that they will only accept Day, vmc flying any more than I would someone who stays current and proficient and flys routine hard IMC missions.  I would certainly fault someone for trolling around hard IMC, single engine, over mountains, at night, if they only keep the bare minimum proficiency required for an IFR ticket, and hadn’t spent any time in hard IMC over the past 12 or so months.  Accepting that level of risk seems high for me, even though it’s legal, as the pilot is not as proficient as they probably should be to fly that mission.  
Personally, I avoid carrying my family over mountains at night in IMC, although I don’t hesitate to do that mission if it’s just me in the plane.  My risk matrix changes when my family is onboard.  And I fly quite a bit in hard IMC, and execute far more than the requirements to keep IFR proficiency.
Be happy you’re not paid to fly... there are times I’m forced to accept more risk than I’d like to, personally.  But that’s why I’m paid in government cheese, I suppose.  It gives me a healthy respect for the weather, too I guess.
their will always be people that will “judge you” without thought as to why or how another would operate (this is common in anything in life).  It is simple, though... assess how much risk you’re willing to accept, plan and fly accordingly.  If your computations are correct, you’ll have a long, fruitful flying career.
so... long story just to say that I agree with you.  If you’re good for it, then do it.

I agree with you. In reading everyone’s post I find it odd that simple request for information about aircraft performance turned into some of these folks criticizing the way others fly AND assuming that anyone that asks a question is going to automatically be making poor risk decisions and telling them what to do. Did anyone think that the person asking the original question might have over 10,000 hours in a wide variety of aircraft and every type of weather and regional conditions. You get to that level of flying by making smart choices. Kind of like asking about performance of aircraft before buying it. You don’t just jump in without looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ST,

At least you know the person you quoted has the hours and the experience.  His concern is for the safety of all...

Not really a show boater...

Also recognize, some really great pilots, may not have the typing skills to be extra friendly all the time.

Extra friendly is what it takes in an open forum.  It is too easy to accidently type something that can be misunderstood in various regions of the world.

As far as thread drift goes... they are humans, it’s the weekend, they are having a wide spread conversation... both distance and time....

ya know? :)

Since books have been written to answer the same question... I didn't think a pilot with 10,000 hours would ask such a broad question. At least not without discussing the mission, budget, and other assorted details to narrow down the responses.  Leaving the door wide open, the chance of a narrow, on point answer, becomes less probable...

Feel free to introduce yourself.  It is more productive for the conversation when everyone knows each other...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Sorry if I offended you by questioning the advisability of your proposed mission. Thread creep and unwanted advice is pretty common here so I try not to take it personally when I am on the receiving end of it.  You might want to call the guy that you got your mountain flying training from and get his opinion.. If you havent had such training call anyone that gives such training and discuss what you plan with them. There is one in Alamosa that I know of and probably others. The answer may be highly dependent on your destination, route, IFR or VFR, installed equipment, personal weather minima, etc  Good luck and have fun skiing!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stnelson903 said:

Thanks to you all that sent me some numbers.
I have the same question for anyone flying a m20j mse with turbo.
What speeds are you getting with what fuel flows and altitudes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a pretty rare combo (M20J with turbo)... probably be very similar performance to a K?  Just a guess.  I think I’ve only seen a handful of those “turbo bullet” conversions out there over the years...

There are very few turbo J models out there, much less for sale at any given time. Performance should be like a 231 but with a bit less fuel burn if it has an M20 Turbonormalizer kit. If it has a Turbo Bullet kit it should burn fuel like a 231. Both are unsupported/out of production.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk