Loaded 66 M20E up on Ebay...

There is a NO RESERVE '66 M20E up on Ebay that is absolutely LOADED.  Priced at $25k right now.  There has got to be some history because this simply looks way to good to be true.  What are everyone's thoughts?

Mine are WOW! STek30, low time engine, many re-do's and upgrades including panel.  MFD, panel mount 496, rounded windows, wing tips, Dorsal mod etc. etc....Photos such, but paint looks nice (scheme) from what I can see.  If I was in the market for a '66 I would be calling right now to get more information and find out the dark secrets...

Quote: scottfromiowa

There is a NO RESERVE '66 M20E up on Ebay that is absolutely LOADED.  Priced at $25k right now.  There has got to be some history because this simply looks way to good to be true.  What are everyone's thoughts?

Mine are WOW! STek30, low time engine, many re-do's and upgrades including panel.  MFD, panel mount 496, rounded windows, wing tips, Dorsal mod etc. etc....Photos such, but paint looks nice (scheme) from what I can see.  If I was in the market for a '66 I would be calling right now to get more information and find out the dark secrets...

We looked at it briefly when it was being auctioned.  The showstoppers for us was that their had to be some water in the steel cage, because of the small screwholes and pin holes in welds.  There is no way be sure it is all out, so there would be a large potential for corrosion on the inside of the tubes that cannot be seen and we were very concerened about long term electrical issues as well as the engine.

This is one extreme case of buyer beware.  Hope whoever is bidding on it does their homework.  I wouldn't touch this one with a 200' pole.

http://www.avclaims.com/N9218M.html

Doesn't say how long the aircraft was underwater and the seller isn't even disclosing it.  Wonder if it's the same engine and avionics as they were all underwater and looks like everything is still the same, except cleaner.

Brian

Quote: N601RX

We looked at it briefly when it was being auctioned.  The showstoppers for us was that their had to be some water in the steel cage, because of the small screwholes and pin holes in welds.  There is no way be sure it is all out, so there would be a large potential for corrosion on the inside of the tubes that cannot be seen and we were very concerened about long term electrical issues as well as the engine.

I asked the seller about it yesterday when he first listed it.  He confirmed by private message on ebay that it was same plane, but did not post my question and his answer so others could see.  He obviously doesn't want anyone to know the history.  I wander if any of the dissabembly and reassembly  and repair is even in the logs.

If All the history and repairs was presented and someone decided to buy it anyway that would be fine, but what he is doing is nothing more than a scamming someone out of their money.  There are all kind of laws to protect consumers from buying flooded cars.  In Alabama  the law just uses the word "vehicle", so these laws could possibly be applied to aircraft as well.

His ad is really difficult to read with all caps and hardly any breaks between the major items.  The only dates in the ad were pre-flood with the exception of the annual this month.  Maybe that's part of his scheme to confuse a bidder.  Sad either way you look at it.  

He still hasn't answered my question... Undecided

Brian

I called the number listed in the ebay post last night.  Spoke with Kevin.  I asked him what dark secret does this plane have?  Damage history, what?  He said it was submerged in fresh water...I asked him if the avionics were replaced he said no...they cleaned everything up and the only thing that's NOT currently working is the engine monitor...He stated that planes don't have salvage titles and that there is NO requirement to put any of the cleaning in the logs so they don't reflect this, but they do divulge if asked...

What a shame that such a beautiful plane came to this fate.  Can you imagine the loss by the owner?  It is doubtful that this plane was insured for anything close to the investment in avionics and airframe...I bet the insurance company simply totaled the plane...

Caveot Emptor...

The salvage company is required to log the removal of the tail, engine and tailcone.  Whoever put the thing back together is also required to make entries stating that they riveted the tailcone back on as well as reconnected all the controls.  Also if you look it up on the FAA site Kevin is not the listed owner.

What bull$hit! This guy is what gives used aircraft (car) salesman the bad name. How dare he sell an aircraft with this type of damage? This is life threating stuff here folks and he says he does not need to tell the new owner? Was the engine torn down? Avionics OK after immersion? Is he FREAKING NUTS? Gyros? Filters? Carpet?

Makes me sick!

These companies pray on the naive.  Buying a plane should NOT be done without someone who is experienced providing council and sage advice.  When I bought my plane (broker) it was represented as 850 hours since major.  Well it really was 850 hours since the crankshaft was replaced under an AD.  That's it.  I didn't know any better and just paid to much for a low time hanger queen.  Seven years later I continue to update/replace/service and make the plane mine...I wish MooneySpace was around when I bought my plane...or that I would have asked for guidance...beyond books on buying...a book that covered log reviews and what to look for and how to read between the lines would be a good seller...I know of no book out there right now.  I reviewed the logs, but once I bought ticket and flew down I had committed myself...I'm sure it happens a lot.  For everyone that walks away or every ten savy buyers that walk away and don't get emotional there is one "F Lee Barnum-Sucker" that comes along with a deep pocket.  I was a sucker, but didn't have a deep pocket, sigh.

Copy of A.C. 43.13-1B. hmm I guess I know what I am talking about. What a peckerhead. 

Sorry tried to paste it in and it won't work. Here is the link if anyone wants to look.

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/99c827db9baac81b86256b4500596c4e/$FILE/Chapter%2006.pdf

Section 14

I have to say, if this guy bought this aircraft from salvage and is passing it off, then he should be reported to the Feds.