Already thinking about ADS-B

If by "big players" you are referring to the airlines, they already have an exemption. Don't count on them putting pressure on the FAA.

the TSO requirement has already been challenged and the FAA said in no uncertain words........ NO! 

I my eat my words but the part 23 is not going to help this.

Equip ADS-B

Exemption 12555

Navigation Accuracy Category for position and Navigation Integrity Category Exemption (12555)

The FAA has granted Exemption 12555 with a strict, limited timeframe in which operators must equip with new navigation receivers. This exemption does not grant relief from the requirement to carry ADS-B Out equipment but to temporarily use current GPS receivers.

9 hours ago, glafaille said:

Interesting!!

I found this on the FAA website that seems to say that waas position is NOT REQUIRED for the ADS-B mandate.  Scroll down to about the 5th question or so.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/techops/navservices/gnss/faq/waas/

However, I have read on other message boards that since legacy non-waas gps units are no longer manufactured, the net result is all ADS-B position data is likely waas generated.

The exemption is intended to be temporary, and most applicable to a fleet of aircraft.  To get the exemption, you would have to justify the reason and provide a plan for eventual compliance with the WAAS mandate.

I've read that some airlines are lobbying for an exemption until 2025 to fully comply.  We'll be watching to see what happens.

Just wouldn't seem right to allow the big boys to operate in Class A & B airspace without full compliance while demanding compliance from us in Class C airspace.

It will be interesting to watch.

N1395W- The webpage I posted does not reference any exemption that I saw.  In any event you are correct that airlines are seeking a partial exemption for their fleets until 2025.  I have read that this exemption is requested in part so the airlines can equip with newer more capable GPS technology that is now on the near horizon.

54 minutes ago, Cruiser said:

If by "big players" you are referring to the airlines, they already have an exemption. Don't count on them putting pressure on the FAA.

the TSO requirement has already been challenged and the FAA said in no uncertain words........ NO! 

I my eat my words but the part 23 is not going to help this.

You might be right.  Still, we must consider that the experimental/LSA folks have access to cheaper alternatives that are acceptable to the FAA.  When push comes to shove, they may allow us to use the same equipment under the new FAR 23.

I have had many dealings with the FAA over the years, most of a positive nature.  One thing I have learned is that they never modify their position, until the day they do.

Thanks for all of the info gents, I'm learning more in one evening than I've learned over the past 3 months talking to industry "experts".

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 0:23 AM, N1395W said:

I just bought the Freeflight RANGR Lite in June for $1995 (before the price went up to $2995).  It is a complete system, nothing else needed to buy.  It also does anonymous mode.  I'll be installing it to take advantage of the $500 gu'mint money.

The kicker for me was when I found out that Freeflight builds the UAT ADS-B boxes for both Aspen and Bendix King.  Of course, that was before the price went up.

Did the FAA change the start date from September for purchases to be eligible for the $500 rebate?

13 hours ago, glafaille said:

As provided above, the FAA's own website seems to indicate waas is not required to meet the mandate.  Doesn't much matter as it is my understanding that there is no economical way to make a non-waas gps talk to an ADS-B transponder.  

We had a representative at the National Business Aircraft Association in Las Vegas about 6 months ago and the FAA folks hardly knew any more than we did about the issue.  They were friendly but could provide no verifiable information.

There is much uncertainty and misinformation that surrounds ADS-B.  Comply or not, pay your money and take your chance.

That's sad

5 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Did the FAA change the start date from September for purchases to be eligible for the $500 rebate?

I talked to one of the guys responsible for the program while I was at OSH.  He is expecting the program to go "live" toward the end of September, maybe the third week.

It will go to the first 20,000 applicants.  You are supposed to sign up in advance, install your ADSB within 90 days, and activate it so that the monitoring stations see it.

One additional point: if the monitoring system sees your ADSB operate AT ALL before the program goes live, you are no longer eligible for the $500, so if you have it installed, leave the circuit breaker pulled until it's time.

• Like 1

Today I had Smart Avionics (at N71) install FS210 in my Ovation.  I'd already run wires for them during the recent annual so it only took them about 4 hours total. 

FS started up, paired with my 796 and iPad.  Traffic from airliners overhead began showing up immediately.  The AHRS looks great on the iPad, and flight plans transfer from iPad to panel or the other direction easily.   

Pretty neat low cost upgrade.  (Low cost as I already had GDL88D, etc)  It sure did configure easily:  Kudos to Smart Avionics for getting it all in and integrated.  

The FS510 would have cost about the same total as installation time is short, but I wanted that 3rd AHRS.