Flap adjustment

ryoder

8 hours ago, Yetti said:

Someone had this thought.   You could spend $35K going to A&P school to get a piece of paper.  Or you could by a kit plane and assemble it for $35K and have the frame of an airplane and most likely get your A&P too.

If the FAA will issue and A&P license just for completing an ultralite aircraft, that explains the current state of aircraft maintenance.

Clarence

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

If the FAA will issue and A&P license just for completing an ultralite aircraft, that explains the current state of aircraft maintenance.

Clarence

No one said ultralight. They said kit, as in experimental. I have seen the quality of many of the guys turned loose after A&P school (our drome is a PIA campus).  They are just what you'd expect for the most part - eager, green and careful to trade methodical research for experience. That being said the guy in the hangar across from me is in the tail end of building his second RV from soup to nits including excellent paint.   The guy in the hangar behind me just completed a very nice RV10.  I can't imagine any reason either of those builder's should not be able to sit for the test. If you disagree? Why? Do you think the greenies coming out of school are more suited to the job? More knowledgable? 

8 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Clarence

I believe the FSDO has to sign off an Experimental to get the airworthyness certificate or at least that is one of the ways.  I know that my friend had the FSDO look at his plane.  I would think that is time to ask about an A&P based on workmanship

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/airworthiness_certification/cond_safe_oper/

Along with some mentorship of an A&P.    You are getting real close to my why don't we have apprenticeships in America soap box.   I probably would have done better to not go to college and opened up a machine shop.   I do not trust my welding to be structurally sound.  I do trust my soldering and machine work.

6 hours ago, Shadrach said:

No one said ultralight. They said kit, as in experimental. I have seen the quality of many of the guys turned loose after A&P school (our drome is a PIA campus).  They are just what you'd expect for the most part - eager, green and careful to trade methodical research for experience. That being said the guy in the hangar across from me is in the tail end of building his second RV from soup to nits including excellent paint.   The guy in the hangar behind me just completed a very nice RV10.  I can't imagine any reason either of those builder's should not be able to sit for the test. If you disagree? Why? Do you think the greenies coming out of school are more suited to the job? More knowledgable? 

My friend know so much about aviation and he employes these kids and teaches them a lot.  They really are green.  He doesn't have an A&P but produces aircraft.

How comfortable would you be riding in an airplane maintained by someone "earned" their A&P license by assembling one "Home Built" airplane?  I personally won't ride in most of these "home builts"

I've had lots of apprentices who were book smart but couldn't put those smarts into practice in the shop.  

Clarence

9 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

How comfortable would you be riding in an airplane maintained by someone "earned" their A&P license by assembling one "Home Built" airplane?  I personally won't ride in most of these "home builts"

I've had lots of apprentices who were book smart but couldn't put those smarts into practice in the shop.  

Clarence

Which kind of makes the point. I have ridden in several homebuilts, and like you I am concerned about build quality. If you've spent 1000s of hours successfully building a airplane, why should you not be able to take the test. I would not feel comfortable with most of the 1st year A&P school grads working on my plane unsupervised either.

On December 17, 2015 at 5:40 PM, Shadrach said:

Which kind of makes the point. I have ridden in several homebuilts, and like you I am concerned about build quality. If you've spent 1000s of hours successfully building a airplane, why should you not be able to take the test. I would not feel comfortable with most of the 1st year A&P school grads working on my plane unsupervised either.

1000's of hours building one plane does not denote quality or experience, just persistence.  I've been called in to re-inspect home builts after the required government inspectors have left, and in many cases given the owner builder a list of things to correct.  In one case no cotter pins in any of the rudder control system. 

In Canada an apprentice Aircraft Maintenace Engineer who does not attend school will have to spend 4 years full time (8000 hours) plus have to kept a log of required tasks before being able to write all of the exams. At the end of the process they will have done much more than someone who assembled a Vans RV from a quick build kit as an example.

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

Now you get one of my A&P stories.  First solo cross country.  Rental plane. It's a hot summer day.   Comm 2 breaker pops.  Reset, Nope. Wait awhile reset.  Nope.   GPS out, Com 2 out.   Student pilot.... continue?  Sure because I have a handheld GPS and portable Comm in the bag.  And supposed to be able to do this via pilotage anyways.   Land and sqwauk it.   Get a call from the flight school asking about it the next day.  The "fix" is to up the breaker from 15 amp to 20 amp (incorrect answer number 2).   Back story is a GPS was added and apparently the A&P did not think it necessary to re-balance the circuit.

I instituted a never take a plane fresh out of maintenance from that school.

There are only 2 other people that I would allow to work on my bicycles.   So far there are only 2 other people that I would allow to work on my plane. 

The question is how youngsters can get the experience to become qualified with other people's safety

On 12/13/2015 at 8:26 PM, N1395W said:

Mooney SB 20-217.  Parts cost about $300 from LASAR or D Max.  Basically it's just a bunch of doublers. A shop would probably charge about 20 hours.

Good pictures available if you look at the SB.

Just had this done to 91M when a crack was found during the pre buy. Cost was only $160 for parts and 9 hours.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On December 22, 2015 at 9:09 PM, druidjaidan said:

Just had this done to 91M when a crack was found during the pre buy. Cost was only $160 for parts and 9 hours.

Doing this right now to my plane......parts from LASAR about 160 and labor will be north of 800 bucks !!!!!

Mechanic text me this morning to call him.  He found a crack , see enclosed......

Parts on the way from LASAR also requested new return springs but they are on back order.......

You can see the crack just above the bracket....

IMG_5721.JPG

IMG_5720.JPG

Edited by Jim Peace

35 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

Mechanic text me this morning to call him.  He found a crack , see enclosed......

Parts on the way from LASAR also requested new return springs but they are on back order.......

You can see the crack just above the bracket....

IMG_5721.JPG

IMG_5720.JPG

Jim,

Look on the inside for cracking on the end of the rib as well.

Clarence

PPI is one of those times that should catch reviewing logs and AD compliance.

A record of AD compliance should be easy to review and update at annual time.

SBs not being required for part 91 may not get a notice by many.

Which SB is related to that?

Best regards,

-a-

There are just over 300 SB's and just over 100 SI's on the whole fleet. Only a few are required by an AD.   Mooney has allowed free public access to all of them for some time, so there is little excuse for owners and maintainers to not know about them.  Mooney even sorts them by model to save reading.

Clarence

Which is nice, it would have been nicer to have a Database that you could put your model and serial number in and ONLY the applicable SB and ADs pop up.    I know there are services and the FAA site, but there is still a bunch of specific knowledge of the plane that is needed to get it right.   The service my IA uses and the FAA site were slightly different in which ones popped up. It's still not helpful when there are three different oil gears within a 6 month period and you have a "replaced oil gears"        At the end of the day certified installations and PMA parts break sometimes at the wrong time

12 hours ago, Yetti said:

Which is nice, it would have been nicer to have a Database that you could put your model and serial number in and ONLY the applicable SB and ADs pop up.    I know there are services and the FAA site, but there is still a bunch of specific knowledge of the plane that is needed to get it right.   The service my IA uses and the FAA site were slightly different in which ones popped up. It's still not helpful when there are three different oil gears within a 6 month period and you have a "replaced oil gears"        At the end of the day certified installations and PMA parts break sometimes at the wrong time

Here are F model SI's and  SB's http://www.mooney.com/en/Support.html#Docs  some refining require nothing an hour couldn't accomplish.

Clarence

The IA made me do the ADs and SBs then reviewed it, so I had been through those.   Half of them don't apply since mine is an 75.  The database would be by serial number so all the chaff would not need to be worried about

• Like 1

The IA made me do the ADs and SBs then reviewed it, so I had been through those.   Half of them don't apply since mine is an 75.  The database would be by serial number so all the chaff would not need to be worried about

The 75 F models I think have one of the lowest AD numbers against them. I have a number of "not applicable by model" in my logs and a few that were terminated after I made a change (like installing the retrofit kit for the yokes).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...