Whelen Parmetheus Plus LED Landing Light Install

I'm thinking a taxi AND a landing bulb would be a pretty sweet combination. Unless two landing lights would be better. Thoughts?

Assuming your night landing was successful, you'll need to taxi, so one of each is the way to go. One wide beam and one narrow one.

So far.......  ;)

It's been a one-light plane since 1970 . . .45 years and counting.  :D   Maybe Sabre will put a second light in his new Vintage cowl? If not, she will soldier on with just the one.

P.S.--It's a PAR 46 landing light. The newer planes with lights in the wings use the smaller PAR 36; not sure about the J/K airframe, could be either.

So when I pulled the GE PAR 46 it was mounted upside down and a fair amount of screws in the front bezel were not installed.  Being a good person all the screws where replaced.  For the PAR46 LED it seems to be aimed a bit high.   There are screws on the back side that don't seem to do much.   Do you mount the ;ight upside down to change the aim, or the screws on the back supposed to aim housing?

My aircraft has several nutplates with screws through the back of them that are "supposed" to aim the beam. I found them to be very rather chincy and the nutplate rivets kept breaking out from all the vibration. I decided to go a different route since the metal ring behind the bulb was almost chaffed through by the screws (once again, from all the vibration). Following a suggestion from a guy at LASAR, I took some pieces of engine baffling and silicone/fusion taped that around the bulb in meticulous places to help reduce the vibration and better aim the beam. Our bulbs have been working for more than a year now without any problems. Aparently some guys change landing light bulbs more than once per year if they're using the regular incandescent ones.

There is a Kit from Mooney to install the twin pack landing lights in the wing like the late models.

Then you can worry about cracking or crazing the lense.

I remember the kit was not to expensive itself, but the labor would be.

Laser, Don or mooney would know. Some one posted the SB Kit number here a long time ago.

Good Luck!

-Matt

• Like 1

I have thought about it, but not done it.   I would probably use a newer blinker module from a car as there are alternating circuits that blink.   If you notice new cars the sides blink opposite the tail lights.    Would need a SPDT switch to do all on or have the blinker in the circuit down stream of the on off breaker switch.

• Like 1