OP ED-"Little Timmy Wants to Know Why Nobody Likes Airplanes Anymore?

John,

Didn't the huge bond flow come to an end?

The bad banks have paid billions in fines and have returned more money back to the government coffers... And not a single person was indicted, let alone went to prison. Nice to know that the Fuld's and Dimon's of the world are still out there enjoying the fruits of that labor. The DOJ and SEC have said that while it all looked bad, no laws were actually broken. Maybe so, but all of the CEO's knew something fishy was going on and if even one of them knew their earnings were not accurate, they broke the law when they signed their company's SOx statement.

Ever lose somebody to these cancers? Yea, me. My father-in-law, who I absolutely adored (is that supposed to happen in a marriage?) woke up one day in April 2012 coughing up a little blood. We laid him to rest nine months later from lung cancer. Although he had given up smoking years earlier, after his heart attack, the damage was already done.

Yeah, my dad. Two packs of Tareyton's from 16 in Marine Corps until mid-50's. To late. Dead at 61.

I respect the rights of others to destroy their own bodies...

I just don't want to have to pay for their poor decisions in higher health care costs.

Same story with my father-in-law, the army supplied him with the nails for his coffin during WWII. But in his case we all paid because he got some of his treatment through the VA.

Backwards? Really? That has not happened in a long, long time! I'll go look!

Was Obama out golfing in Hawaii, and is Congress in recess and they are all gone home or somewhere else?

Those times our the best hope for our future. If they are out golfing or staying at their undisclosed Domininican Republic locations doing who knows what ... then they are not saving the world and making the world a better place with our money!

Should we be fortunate enough to have a republican president the next time around, I am going to give you guys such hell when he (or she) takes the family on a vacation further than Camp David. Assuming they don't have a family "compound" that is.

Yeah, my dad. Two packs of Tareyton's from 16 in Marine Corps until mid-50's. To late. Dead at 61.

I respect the rights of others to destroy their own bodies...

I just don't want to have to pay for their poor decisions in higher health care costs.

Quit about 2 years ago, about this time of the year. Best decision I've ever made. Gained a few lbs, but I feel so much better. Smoker from 16 to 33, worked myself up 2 packs a day by the time it was making me feel like complete shit daily. What made me quit? My extremities started going numb. It really sucks to wake up with numb arms. Guess what else is an extremity ;)

Loving this morning, it's going to be 50 today. Screw work, I'm taking the little shits for a walk around the lake, then I'm going to shoot some approaches and get current again.

• Like 2

Quit about 2 years ago, about this time of the year. Best decision I've ever made. Gained a few lbs, but I feel so much better. Smoker from 16 to 33, worked myself up 2 packs a day by the time it was making me feel like complete shit daily. What made me quit? My extremities started going numb. It really sucks to wake up with numb arms. Guess what else is an extremity ;)

Good for you. I've never taken a single puff in my entire life so I have no idea what it's all about.

But it would not be right, if we didn't tr

Good for you. I've never taken a single puff in my entire life so I have no idea what it's all about.

It's actually just about addiction. It does not do anything for you, as far as I can tell, now. You just need it to feel normal as long as you're addicted. 

Scott, John, Flyboy (what's your name), Byron, Anthony,

You want make your blood boil, read this:

Politicians wanted upfront cash from a legal victory over Big Tobacco, and bankers happily obliged. The price? A handful of states promised to repay $64 billion on just $3 billion advanced.

http://www.propublica.org/article/how-wall-street-tobacco-deals-left-states-with-billions-in-toxic-debt

It is very hard to quit. AndyfromCB you must have some strong willpower!

We had friends from the next block over who stole a half-carton of Vice-Roy's from one of their parents ... and brought to our secret "fort" in the woods. (We went to "fort" to smoke and look at our stolen Playboy magazines.) That must have been fourth or fifth grade. By the time I was early twenties ... was smoking 1-2 packs a day.

Quit the day I became a Christian. I credit the Lord for being able to quit. Had tried and failed several times before. It was in 1Corinthians 6 about your body being His temple now ... His Spirit dwelling in you and honoring Him with your body. Couldn't justify anything good or honoring Him about smoking. Haven't smoked for years. The smoke still bothers me and I have to step away from anywhere it is ...

My mother, of all folks, chain-smoked Camels with no filter. Lost her nearly thirty years ago now ... I was in college when she passed ...

Well, I guess we all know somebody who succumbed to tobacco. While advances have been made in many cancers, it doesn't appear that lung is one of them. And like ovary or pancreatic, it's insidious. 

Let's change the subject.

Politicians wanted upfront cash from a legal victory over Big Tobacco, and bankers happily obliged. The price? A handful of states promised to repay $64 billion on just $3 billion advanced.

http://www.propublica.org/article/how-wall-street-tobacco-deals-left-states-with-billions-in-toxic-debt

Mike is my name.

While I am not seething, I am incensed. But I'm not too worried because when these bills come due I'll be long gone. Of course the guys on Wall Street already got paid, but I do find solace knowing that they will be just as dead as me and all those millions in their bank accounts will do them no good. Hopefully they lived a miserable life, paying off ex-wives and getting troubled offspring out of hot water.

The article itself is a bit lengthy and technical, so I referred to Market Place Radio to explain it to me as if I were a six year old:

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/economy/wall-street-tobacco-deals-left-states-billions-debt

And this follow up

http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/how-bankers-muscled-ratings-agencies-tobacco-bonds

John,

Didn't the huge bond flow come to an end?

They called it QE3. It was the third quantitative easing program since 2008.

The bad banks have paid billions in fines and have returned more money back to the government coffers...

-a-

Well this is right, A, but not entirely. It began 3 months ago and they are reducing by only 1/8th per Fed meeting, so it'll be awhile for detox to set in. My make? The very notion lights the market up and keeps them upbeat. I am worried it'll get old within another year. Also, while QE3 will stimulate job growth (and it did last two moths, but this month back down again), the reality of debt will drive inflation. Hmmmmmmm. Your make?

QE4 is probably inevitable...

Banks are supposed to be recovering with an increase of the interest rate.

The banks are a neccesary evil.

The bank of Dad hasn't been open for decades.

Having Christianity in one's life provides great guidance.

Having a great education gives balance when Christianity falls short.

Physically going to other countries and working closely with their people in similar postion as me, made me enjoy coming back home.

There are other religions that work well.

There are other countries that work well.

There are other forms of government that work.

I wouldn't trade mine for any of them...

Democrat or Republican in office....

I have done well with both.

Even better when the guy I didn't vote for got in.

I clearly don't understand politics as well as the fine gentlemen here.

At least not yet...

Best regards,

-a-

Looking at this tonight Andy.

• Like 1

Holder did something right. If this is the only good thing he accomplishes while in office, it was still worth having him there. This was a major, major issue on my radar. It stops federal government abuse and slows down the abuse at state level:

Holder’s decision follows a Washington Post investigation published in September that found that police have made cash seizures worth almost $2.5 billion from motorists and others without search warrants or indictments since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

News of Holder’s decision stunned advocates who have for a long time unsuccessfully sought to reverse civil asset forfeiture laws, arguing that they undermine core American values, such as property rights and due process.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/holder-ends-seized-asset-sharing-process-that-split-billions-with-local-state-police/2015/01/16/0e7ca058-99d4-11e4-bcfb-059ec7a93ddc_story.html

No more indicting property without indicting owners and winning a conviction. 

Grassley praised Holder’s decision on Friday.

Look Scott, something me and my Conservative Senator can agree on  ;) 

• Like 1

Holder did something right. If this is the only good thing he accomplishes while in office, it was still worth having him there. This was a major, major issue on my radar. It stops federal government abuse and slows down the abuse at state level:

Holder’s decision follows a Washington Post investigation published in September that found that police have made cash seizures worth almost $2.5 billion from motorists and others without search warrants or indictments since the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

News of Holder’s decision stunned advocates who have for a long time unsuccessfully sought to reverse civil asset forfeiture laws, arguing that they undermine core American values, such as property rights and due process.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/holder-ends-seized-asset-sharing-process-that-split-billions-with-local-state-police/2015/01/16/0e7ca058-99d4-11e4-bcfb-059ec7a93ddc_story.html

No more indicting property without indicting owners and winning a conviction. 

Grassley praised Holder’s decision on Friday.

Look Scott, something me and my Conservative Senator can agree on  ;) 

Holy crap, this is BIG news.

Say our Little Timmy grows up in a ghetto. Or a banlieue in France (where we may call him Timée). He wants to be a pilot, but realizes after years of trying that flying an airplane is something well beyond his reach. Not because he doesn't have talent. Not because he doesn't have drive. But because he is black and Muslim, and he never gets a fair chance. Ambition turns to alienation, alienation to outrage. Then the local imam or ISIS recruiter says 'hey son, how about a trip to Syria...we can change the world.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/15/world/europe/crisis-in-france-is-seen-as-sign-of-chronic-ills.html?ref=world

I seem to recall reading about some oppressed colonists getting all uppity in 1776. Change a few words here and there among the jihadis and you've got George Washington, or virtually every other leader of young men to violent deaths in the service of some "just cause"...

"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble Actions - The Eyes of all our Countrymen are now upon us, and we shall have their blessings, and praises, if happily we are the instruments of saving them from the Tyranny meditated against them."

My point is simply that much of what is going on in the world today, whether in America, Europe, Africa or the Middle East, isn't a new phenomenon. Societies have always faced the challenge of what to do with young men. If there's no place for them, they will often fall under the sway of radicals who promise them one.

I seem to recall reading about some oppressed colonists getting all uppity in 1776. Change a few words here and there among the jihadis and you've got George Washington, or virtually every other leader of young men to violent deaths in the service of some "just cause"...

"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble Actions - The Eyes of all our Countrymen are now upon us, and we shall have their blessings, and praises, if happily we are the instruments of saving them from the Tyranny meditated against them."

My point is simply that much of what is going on in the world today, whether in America, Europe, Africa or the Middle East, isn't a new phenomenon. Societies have always faced the challenge of what to do with young men. If there's no place for them, they will often fall under the sway of radicals who promise them one.

I believe there was a person who said "one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist".

And going to Syria and becoming a terrorist and killing yourself for a cause is going to change what?...

Are you trying to use this as an example of the plight of poverty? It is religious/culture persecution that is resulting in the attacks? It is society crushing their dreams of success that is resulting in terrorism? The response is to randomly kill or to target specific individuals that do not respect our religious beliefs?

My problem with the "No Justice No Peace" slogan is that we feel oppressed and our response is to ensure that there is No Peace for citizen's. We will make you change with rioting, arson, pooping in parks, attacking police, damaging property and murder. We will incite civil unrest until you give us what we want. Which is?

I do not see Chaos as the means to bring about perceived equality for blacks and Muslims.

It doesn't matter Scott what you or I see. You're in your 50's now. I'm in my 30's. We're both fairly content in our personal lives. Think back to when you were in your late teens and early 20s. You signed up for the Army, you were willing to kill and die for a cause, a cause you believed to be just. You still sound like man that would, if need, for a cause you believed to be just. This is a compliment, BTW. But I bet you in your 50's you're going to think long and hard if the cause is truly right. It's pretty easy to convince and mold a young mind into anything. Especially a restless young mind without any cause to exist that sees no hope in their situation. And what does the muslim word suffer from: lack of hope, lack of employment and lack of pussy. Don't forget pussy. It changes a man, softens him a bit. I am willing to bet most who blew themselves up for 72 virgins were most likely virgins themselves. Are you surprised that the most sexually repressed societies also produce the most radicals. I am not.

I am in no way, shape or form excusing their behavior just stating the underlaying psychological conditions needed to radicalize young man are present whenever there is hopelessness, restlessness, unemployed and lack of access to satisfy basic human needs. These young kids are there for the taking. US Army does not spend majority of their recruiting budget on kids of parents in my income bracket either. We're not going to win this one with bombs alone. I mean we could, fairy easily, but it would make the atrocities of WWII look pale in comparison. 

And let me state for the record, I am unwilling to die for any causes and hopefully lucky enough not to ever have to test that theory.  

• Like 1

It doesn't matter Scott what you or I see. You're in your 50's now. I'm in my 30's. We're both fairly content in our personal lives. Think back to when you were in your late teens and early 20s. You signed up for the Army, you were willing to kill and die for a cause, a cause you believed to be just. It's pretty easy to convince and mold a young mind into anything. Especially a restless young mind without any cause to exist that sees no hope in their situation. And what does the muslim word suffer from: lack of hope, lack of employment and lack of pussy. Don't forget pussy. It changes a man, softens him a bit. I am willing to bet most who blew themselves up for 72 virgins were most likely virgins themselves. Are you surprised that the most sexually repressed societies also produce the most radicals. I am not.

I am in no way, shape or form excusing their behavior just stating the underlaying psychological conditions needed to radicalize young man are present whenever there is hopelessness, restlessness, unemployed and lack of access to satisfy basic human needs. These young kids are there for the taking.

What if he joined just to see the world?

And yes, the power of pussy will do that to ya.

And to correct a majorly held misconception, it's not 72 virgins - it's a single, 72 year old virgin.