Trouble checking tire pressure

Hello all, I seem to be having some issues with getting a good tire pressure reading. It seems my nice auto tire gauge will not reach the stem inside my tube valve, is this normal? Do I need an airplane specific tire gauge?  My A&P didn’t seem to have an issue with his gauge. What am I missing here? Thanks!

Hello all, I seem to be having some issues with getting a good tire pressure reading. It seems my nice auto tire gauge will not reach the stem inside my tube valve, is this normal? Do I need an airplane specific tire gauge?  My A&P didn’t seem to have an issue with his gauge. What am I missing here? Thanks!

Sometimes the valve stems are hard to reach and get a gauge on or even get air in. I find any type of straight gauge or air chuck works the best any angle tends to make things difficult. There are manufacturers that have them this way.

Yes i use plain old air. my MX insists on using N2. When I'm there I get N2 but anywhere else it's air. I figure air is 78% N2 anyway.

PS nice talking with you at SnF.

Checking the air on my Mooney is a big pain.  First the hubcaps, then the valve caps.  Finally, I use the following gauge. (and I'm sure everyone has their own favorite)  I find the hold feature very useful.  And the fact the that it does not have batteries means it always works.

there is nothing special about the tire gauge i use, but it is a good one vs the $1.99 type gauge. I have used the cheap ones before but like you I had issues getting a good reading. spend a little more and get one with the dial gauge that will hold the reading until you clear it, you will be happy with it.

Brian

BTW, y'all just use plain air?

N2 is mostly useful if you're flying into altitudes that would cause any moisture in the air to freeze. It is also less responsive to temperature changes than compressed air. There is no need to fill a C model tire with N2, but use it if ya got it.

I recently had trouble with one tire. Spent $1 for a new valve stem at a local tire shop, and borrowed the stem tool from the mechanic. Walking from Maintenance to my hangar took longer than replacing the stem, pumped the tire back up and returned the tool. Then went flying. And I use the cheapo gage sold in a cup beside the register at the auto parts store.

BTW, y'all just use plain air?Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No,

I prefer a mixture of 78% nitrogen , 21% oxygen and 1% of other gases. I find it available globally and very cheap!

Clarence

Sometimes the valve stems are hard to reach and get a gauge on or even get air in. I find any type of straight gauge or air chuck works the best any angle tends to make things difficult. There are manufacturers that have them this way.

Yes i use plain old air. my MX insists on using N2. When I'm there I get N2 but anywhere else it's air. I figure air is 78% N2 anyway.

PS nice talking with you at SnF.

yeah man!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you have hubcaps, (and you have holes in them so you can check and add air without removing the hubcap) often you need to use an extender screwed onto the stem. They are available at auto supply shops.