New Mooney Owner

As of yesterday, I am the new caretaker of a 1966 M20C, N2652W. Flew it home with the previous owner and am quite impressed. I've been flying a Husky for the last few years and have never flown a Mooney before yesterday. Looking forward to flying off the hours required for insurance and then set out on some adventures.

Congratulations on your wise choice in airplanes! You must now keep with tradition and post pictures. Must be awsome to have your own Mooney and I hope to find out for myself soon.Laughing

Congratulations on the delivery of your new Mooney.  I think you will have a fun time getting to know your new airplane and building hours and experience.   I had to learn to slow down and fly the "numbers".  Please post some photos and make sure to use this forum as a way to get questions answered in a safe place.

What area of the country do you live in?

If you aren't a MAPA member, you should be!  They are our Mooney Association and have a good magazine, training opportunities and chat board

http://mooneypilots.com/forms/members/form_choice.html

I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it once I'm comfortable with it. It seems to me to be a numbers airplane. It sure can get too fast going downhill if you don't pay attention. It's not the nicest looking Mooney, but I will be painting it next year.

Here's a couple of pictures of 2652W in the hangar.

post-1942-13468138315082_thumb.jpg

post-1942-13468138315939_thumb.jpg

post-1942-13468138316388_thumb.jpg

Congratulations!  Here's to many hours and many enjoyable trips in your new Mooney.

I've had my '75 F model just over a month now and I like her more every time I climb in the left seat and turn her loose.  As you've already noted and been advised, just watch that airspeed.  My transition instructor advised me to plan on being at pattern altitude at 3 miles out whenever possible to give myself time to manage the airspeed, sage advice for this Mooney rookie.

Enjoy!

2652W looks like a gorgeous Mooney!  Congtratulations.  I know you are not sitting at your computer reading MooneySpace right now, as you are at the airport enjoying the thrill of your airplane.  As a matter of fact, that's where I'm headed too.  Have tons of fun owning and flying your Mooney.

It seems I spend a lot of time at the airport. Going to fly my Mooney tomorrow with my instructor to get my signoff finished soon. This is one fast M20C from what I can tell. Speed mods definitely make a difference. Lot's of little details to finish before I paint it next summer. The dream planes in the hangar are what I take care of in my spare time. They are all airworthy and fly regularly. Check out our website at www.warbirdheritagefoundation.org

Thanks again,

Each time I fly my new plane, I learn more and become even more of a fan. What a machine! Takes planning ahead to slow it down and landings are fairly easy with some crosswind. just need a few more hours of training and then off on some adventures. I hope to become an active member on this site and share what I learn and hopefully learn from the Mooney experienced folks.

Thanks,

When I transitioned into my '70-C, planning ahead on descents was the biggest challenge. Our planes will go down or slow down, but will not do both. Fortunately I have a balanced 3-blade which makes a decent airbrake when needed, less and less as the flights go by. You will find it to be an amazing plane! I took mine from WV to WY, a short trip alphabetically, but 1320 nm with the wife and "stuff" for 10 days. No problems whatever, and of course a quicker trip headed back east.

Have lots of fun! Pretty soon the "tinking ahead" part will become second nature. Just watch your speed around the pattern, and you will be rewarded with pretty landings. Complements from passengers are always nice . . .

Congratulations!

i was considering putting an offer on that one!  log books looked good. Would like to know how the engine ends up getting maintained. The bottom only has 400 hrs, with the cylinders at 1850 but holding compression.

Have fun- im jealous!

Rob

I'm pretty pleased with my purchase. It needs some TLC but seems to be mechanically solid. The only numbers I have for now are on the leg home I flew at 9000 feet and was showing 152 kts on the GPS. Seemed to run right around 147-152 kts when I checked. Very smooth flying and the engine hasn't missed a beat. I'll try to post more when I start doing some more cross countries. Thanks Rob, I'd feel much the same if you had beat me to it.