The right way to fly a Mooney

201er

Fresh oil change nice and clean and I put in the cam guard. As for me I get as high as I can and I am always surprised by how many are so far below us. I like the air up high always keeping the winds aloft in mind. All I can say is if the little spinner up front stops spinning I bet all you low flyers will be wishing you were up nice and high. Altitude = options.

• Like 1

WOT, 2500, sometimes peak, sometimes 50-100 ROP always try for 9000-12000' in my M20D/C.139 kts TAS. 8.2 GPH

It's a no brainer. Sit back. relax and enjoy the land as it slides by. I'm on the  ground every 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hrs 

just because I want to stretch and enjoy new airports if I can. The journey is as much fun as the destination.

• Like 2

Why not on a Continental; except for not being approved.

I may have mis-spoken.  I'm trying to find where I saw it, but the Continental starters use a friction fit for engaging the starter to the engine.  Lycomings do not.  I thought I saw that using Camguard increased the likelihood of a starter that would not engage on the Continental.  However, the Camguard website says it will not cause that problem.

So.... disregard all after good morning.

Sorry,

Bob

By increasing your speed into a headwind, you limit the time you're exposed to the headwind. By reducing your speed in a tailwind, you're maximizing the time you're assisted by it.

A 10kt headwind hurts you more than a 10kt tailwind helps you, due to the time exposed. Given the same distance flight, you're fighting the headwind longer than you'd be assisted by the tailwind; hence the recommendation to increase/decrease speed accordingly to mitigate that.

Rob,

Actually, I'm saying if you are flying a round trip and all you care about is fuel burn, do ...not... increase your speed into the wind, but ...do... decrease your speed with the tailwind.  If all you care about is time, go as fast as you can all the time (as originally posted).

What you say is true about headwinds but only if your normal no wind cruise speed is L/D max (about 90 KIAS).  Since none of us cruise that slowly, you've already made your speed increases.  I even posted a message in which I defended my point.

Try this:

Pick an altitude, any altitude.  Use your POH and look up the TAS and FF for 55%, 65%, and 75% power for that altitude.  Use those numbers to compute MPG (TAS/FF).  You'll see that you get the best MPG at 55%.  And after all, MPG will decide how much fuel you burn between point A and point B.  Now let's assume you run into a 10 knot headwind.  Since FF won't change for any of those power settings, all we do is lose 10 knots of groundspeed.  So, subtract 10 knots from each of the speeds you used in the previous calculations.  For example, if 65% gave me a TAS and GS (no wind) of 155 K, with a 10 knot headwind my TAS would still be 155 but my GS would only be 145.  For each of those power settings, do the same thing (TAS-GS)/FF.  That will give me MPG adjusted for wind.  After doing that you'll see that the lower power setting still gives you the best MPG.  Now try it for a 20 K HW, a 30 K HW, a 40 K HW, and a 50 K HW.  At least for a J model cruising below 10,000', it will take about 50 K of headwind before you are better off pushing the power up from 65% to 75%.

Here are some numbers from my POH (using 2700 RPM @ 8000 and ignoring the further potential fuel savings of using a lower RPM for lower power settings):

No wind   75%/169TAS/10.8FF = 15.6 MPG ***** 65%/157TAS/9.7FF = 16.2 MPG ***** 55%/145TAS/8.6FF = 16.9 MPG ***** 55% wins

10 HW     75%159/10.8=14.7MPG ***** 65%/147/9.7=15.1MPG ***** 55%/135/8.6=15.7MPG ***** 55% still wins

20 HW     75%149/10.8=13.8MPG ***** 65%/137/9.7=14.1MPG ***** 55%/125/8.6=14.5MPG ***** 55% still wins

30 HW     75%139/10.8=12.9MPG ***** 65%/127/9.7=13.1MPG ***** 55%/115/8.6=13.4MPG ***** 55% still wins

40 HW     75%129/10.8=11.9MPG ***** 65%/117/9.7=12.1MPG ***** 55%/105/8.6=12.2MPG ***** 55% still wins, but not by much over 65%

50 HW     75%119/10.8=11.0MPG ***** 65%/107/9.7=11.1MPG ***** 55%/95/8.6=11.0MPG ***** 65% finally becomes best and 75% equals 55%

What do you think?

Bob

• Like 2

Is that 2700+ RPM up there? What is your fuel burn?

Hey Scott actually peak was at 7.8-8gph and yielded 152kts however the fastest speed I could get at 13k was about 80-90ROP at 8.9gph which yielded 155kts.....the extra 3 knots wasn't worth it.

I have found that 15-30ROP at high altitudes such as 10k and above will get almost the same power within one knot or so as 80ROP. Obviously this does t work down low as it's a good way create high CHTs.

My cowl flaps are set open 3/8 -1/2 inch which keeps CHTs down.

• Like 1

When is the return flight or did I miss it?

-a-

Left Merida MX and flew direct to Brownsville TX last Friday, Actually was about 50 miles further across the water than New Orleans to Cozumel but we wanted to spend sometime with her Grandparents who are in Donna TX.

I'll tell you on the way down from New Orleans to Cozumel at fl190 and fl150 the ocean looked blue but almost as if it wasn't real. Between Merida and Brownsville I flew at 6,500 and then 4,500ft due to 30kt headwinds and HOLY SMOKES did that ocean look real. There was about 20kt winds at the surface and swells at 6-8ft with some white caps. Needless to say I heard noises I never heard before. The prop governor seems to drop 20rpms and quickly return to normal cruise about every 30 mins or so and it's defiantly a uneasy feeling. (It's been doing that since overhaul, but funny it doesn't bother me normally)

It did make me feel better though as I de-cowled upper and lower in Mexico and checked everything for about a hour and found no discrepancies.

I thought the airplane felt more sluggish and found out my bride went shopping and loaded a bunch of extras on board.

Great time. Next time I cross the gulf it will be in a Rocket at FL250 at 200kts.

• Like 1

-Donating the 7th and 8th quart of oil to my plane's belly...
-Logging hundred's of take-offs over ten years without deployinng take-off flaps...I do now
-Buying a Vintage Mooney with a 3-blade prop...Why listen to the haters...when you don't have to?
-Not muting my wife (during take-off and landing) on intercom...(She is an EXCELLENT co-pilot now)
-Landing sans flaps...ESPECIALLY with four aboard on a hot day...
-NOT immediately buying an audible gear and stall warning kit (Would have prevented a gear up)
-Buying a hanger queen with a tired dried up engine...(Buy one that is FLYING at LEAST 50 Hours a year since overhaul)
-Landing with to much airspeed on a hot day...chirp...CHIIIRRRP....POWER!!!!.....all is well.
-Not getting Johnson bar cleared before taking active runway...Honey, is that your Good Housekeeping there?
-Not getting a co-owner from day 1...Ownership of a vintage Mooney can be a joy with the right guy along for the ride

Have fun Rookies...I consider myself "one of ya" to this day...

And most importantly putting comments in wrong thread :o

• Like 1

Left Merida MX and flew direct to Brownsville TX last Friday, Actually was about 50 miles further across the water than New Orleans to Cozumel but we wanted to spend sometime with her Grandparents who are in Donna TX.

I'll tell you on the way down from New Orleans to Cozumel at fl190 and fl150 the ocean looked blue but almost as if it wasn't real. Between Merida and Brownsville I flew at 6,500 and then 4,500ft due to 30kt headwinds and HOLY SMOKES did that ocean look real. There was about 20kt winds at the surface and swells at 6-8ft with some white caps. Needless to say I heard noises I never heard before. The prop governor seems to drop 20rpms and quickly return to normal cruise about every 30 mins or so and it's defiantly a uneasy feeling. (It's been doing that since overhaul, but funny it doesn't bother me normally)

It did make me feel better though as I de-cowled upper and lower in Mexico and checked everything for about a hour and found no discrepancies.

I thought the airplane felt more sluggish and found out my bride went shopping and loaded a bunch of extras on board.

Great time. Next time I cross the gulf it will be in a Rocket at FL250 at 200kts.

How much time over the water?

I have friends that always fly under IFR and go zig-zag all over the sky in good WX or bad.  Go straight there.  That's the best way to fly a Mooney. Right?

Wisdom is having the sense when to use which.

• Like 2