Voltage Regulator (OECO)

OR75

i believe my 77J still has its factory installed OECO voltage regulator.

the POH is very vague: it says Oeco and refers to a drawing number but there is no part number.

i wonder if anyone had experience replacing one of those with a more compact solid state type of device (zeftronics).

zeftronics has a few options but i am not sure about what i currently have and what kit would be needed to convert.

it is a pain to get to and i could not take a picture to clearly identify. ( i wish the regulator was installed on the firewall on the engine side.

Zeftronics has supplied many devices and may be searched here...it's been a while though...

I had one on my dc generator in my 65C. Nice modern device with led outputs for status available to the cockpit...

Vast improvement over the OEM device. Made the generator a near better technology than an alternator...

The plane could be started from a dead flat battery, not that I would though, anymore...

Best regards,

-a-

I replaced an Oeco in a 77J with a Zeftronics. There is a model that has the same connector as Oeco but back when I replaced it the J wasn't on the approved list. They have a converter cable that interfaces between the approved unit and the Oeco connector. It allows you to mount it in a more convenient place. I mounted it where the Oeco was - a bit of a pain to remove. It seems like it needs the ground connection from the mounting screw.

• 5 months later...

i made the call you are going to make tomorrow a few months ago.

the zeftronics VR that will work for your plane will be an R15300 or R1530B depending on the voltage regulator you currently have. the difference will be the type of plugs your current one has. it should be a plug and play replacement.

did you identify which VR you currently have ?

the access to the VR is really a pain and i could not identify which one i had. i did not take it further as my electrical problem was solved without having to change the VR.

if you do move forward with changing the VR, i really would appreciate a picture of the one you remove so i can see what i may be coming across in the future ( i like to know what parts are on my plane and the VR is one of the very few parts i have not identified yet)

thanks.

Thanks for the picture.  Odd way of attaching a part but easy to replace indeed !.

Not a factory setting (I would hope).  I am betting the old one is still in its original location (other side of that plate that has BUS written on it) and someone found it to be easier to just disconnect the plug and zip tie a new one.

Maybe worth asking a MSC on how to do it right.