Staniel Cay, Bahamas trip report

jetdriven

So trip report for Staniel Cay...

We departed Houston last Wednesday. The plans was to go to KLEE, get cheap gas, fly onto Boca (KBCT), have dinner with my and drop some things off, and then cross the water to the Bahamas. As you know from "that other" thread, we had a mag problem, Sunair was awesome, but we spent the night in KLEE.

Thursday, we actually made it to KBCT at 2 pm, topped off the plane, dropped things off with mom, and departed IFR for North Eleuthera Airport (MYEH), high tailing it into the Bahamas. We originally had planned to take the "scenic" route, crossing the shortest distance over water and then flying along the chain of islands, but with sun set closing in and no night flying in the Bahamas VFR, we opted for radar vectors direct, and after getting outside the Palm Beach area, ATC was happy to comply. Customs was quick and efficient at MYEH, and we were off to Staniel Cay (MYES) in no time. This time I flew down the island chain and oggled at the scenery, we were on the ground in no time.

Staniel Cay was just about perfect in every way. You know those post cards of colorful cottages on stilts? Yeah, that! We had a little Boston Whaler and over three days we fed the pigs, we found several private beaches and private sandbars, and saw giant iguanas. I use tripadvisor a lot to find hotels and decide where to stay, so I like to give them good mojo, so in the interest of not repeating my entire review here, you can read it there: (might take 48 hrs to post):

http://www.tripadvis... ... R148032073

Some lessons learned for pilots flying there:

1. We opted for the non-all-inclusive in part because we weren't going to use the boat every day, but also because the 20% "pilot discount" applied only to the non-all inclusive, and if you do the math, even with renting the boat every day, it was worth getting this discount (it cancels out the resort tax).

2. The Bahamas offers a $300 fuel credit if you stay 4 nights at a participating resort. When we booked our reservations, there was a blackout date that began on Dec 21, so it wasn't going to be useful for us. But when we got there, we found out the black out date got moved to Dec 26! However, not even the hotel knew this (though it was clear on the web site, the internet was of course down when we checked out), though they said contact them when we get back to the US. However, when we got back to claim the discount they said they needed a copy of our C7A (cruising permit), which we have, our pilots licenses (which we obviously have) and our immigrations cards - uh, huge problem since they take those from you on departure. They are speaking with the Bahamian tourist board to see if there's some other paperwork we could provide instead, because that's an awesome deal.

3. The internet is super sketchy there - get everything filed that you can file (eapis, IFR/DVFR flight plan, etc.) on file before you leave. The internet was down at least 50% of our stay.

4. Bring tie downs and chocks for all three wheels with you. There was only frayed rope and one or two sets of broken chocks.

5. We had heard that you could pay your departure tax on arrival to save a trip to a customs airport on departure. We tried, they would not allow this or take our money at arrival. Speaking to some other pilots, it sounds like people do leave without clearing customs on the way out. We are kind of rule-abiding types, so we stopped at San Andros to clear customs and pay our departure tax on the way out, it was also fast and efficient.

6. Overall the runways were good quality, a little rough, but nothing to worry about. All fields expect the big ones use 122.8 and it was fun listening to people coming and going up the island chains.

7. When we returned to south florida, we came in through FXE. We dutifully sat in our airplanes, as per the instructions, waiting for the customs agents to come out to us. After two other planes parked and their pilots went in, we did the same. The customs agents told us in the south florida region that was normal.

Byron will be posting pictures shortly :)

post-7887-0-93478800-1356647296_thumb.jppost-7887-0-44079200-1356647304_thumb.jppost-7887-0-26622600-1356647311_thumb.jppost-7887-0-71503500-1356647340_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Although it has been several years, I used to fly to Staniel Cay often. It is a beautiful flight and I think everybody should do it.

I have ......on occassion.....been allowed to (pre-clear) customs and pay the departure tax early......however......it does depend on which customs officer you get. And sometimes it does help to "offer" the officer something.

Great flying!

Staniel Cay's pigs may never be the same :) Mag issue aside, you were most fortunate and had a wonderful trip. Plus you seem to have located some of Florida's better fuel stop locations, Leesburg and Naples.

Thanks for the informative report.

I don't think theft is a concern but I wouldnt leave my 900$ headsets, iPad, or GTN-750 in the plane. You can remove the radio with an allen wrench.

I would call that a concern.....

How about just a screwdriver to remove a panel to stuff some drugs in for you to fly back into the USA for some bad guy. If you make it, he then happily unloads some night cause he knows your home base.

I don't think theft is a concern but I wouldnt leave my 900$ headsets, iPad, or GTN-750 in the plane. You can remove the radio with an allen wrench.

I disaggre (this is Becca, not Byron disagreeing with himself). The island has a population of 90. If someone tried to steal something, everyone on the island would know about it in a minute, I'd think. Most of the people on the island are dependant on the yacht club for their income, they wouldn't want anything creating a bad repuation. And who would they sell the stolen goods to? No, I don't think its a problem at all there.

For teh record, we did leave our $900 headsets in the plane there for four days.