two wires in the yoke....

funvee

1967 m20F

I took off a silly battery powered cooking clock that the previous owner had on the yoke and found behind it the yoke open and inside were two wires (not the two tubes leading to the positive control button). Both wires had the ends taped over but I was wondering what they are for. What is supposed to be on the front of the yoke and can those be used to power something else? I was wondering what kind of load it can handle and what fuse it would be on.

Thanks,

Shawn

My 67 F has the original pilot's yoke. It has a wind up clock, and a post light that illuminates that clock. Almost certainly those two wires are from your removed post light. They are controlled by the right hand overhead dimmer knob.

Steve

The answer seems to be, those wires could be for any number of things. If your Mooney has a relatively stock panel, I would guess the wires are for the illumination of the factory clock. That's a good place to start. Put a mulitmeter on it with it switched to DC current and then run the panel lights up and down. That should tell you. If that fails and you find there is voltage there, start pulling breakers until it goes off and that will probably tell you what they were for and what you could do with them. If they are dead, then they are abandoned wiring and you need to investigate under the panel where they go. If you can find the other end, you could use them for whatever you want.

The answer seems to be, those wires could be for any number of things. If your Mooney has a relatively stock panel, I would guess the wires are for the illumination of the factory clock. That's a good place to start. Put a mulitmeter on it with it switched to DC current and then run the panel lights up and down. That should tell you. If that fails and you find there is voltage there, start pulling breakers until it goes off and that will probably tell you what they were for and what you could do with them. If they are dead, then they are abandoned wiring and you need to investigate under the panel where they go. If you can find the other end, you could use them for whatever you want.

Wouldn't it have to be the logical guy who ruined all the fun we are having at guessing?! LOL! I'm still waiting to find out what the electrical device on the other thread is (the one buried in the wing).