Looking for a J, buyer's checklist

IndyTim

Like Aaron I find it easier to do a go-around or not forget the mixture on takeoff. SImply spread your hand and firewall all three.

However, I think my wife and pertner would agree that a vernier mixture control would be superior to a lever for making that 15 degrees LOP adjustment.

I forgot about the quadrant earlier and if you have long legs, getting yourself over to the pilot seat requires some maneuvering around that thing to get in.

Great points, all. I really appreciate the feedback.

If I could sum up my priorities into one statement, it would be this: avoiding costly surprises. I can deal with a planned avionics upgrade, or even an overhaul as long as the engine has gotten reasonably close to tbo.

What I'm trying very hard to avoid are nasty surprises.

The opinions on the dubious value of low-time engines are well taken. As an alternative I've been considering a run-out engine, so I could have my own overhaul or reman engine. That way I know its history.

Great points, all. I really appreciate the feedback.

If I could sum up my priorities into one statement, it would be this: avoiding costly surprises. I can deal with a planned avionics upgrade, or even an overhaul as long as the engine has gotten reasonably close to tbo.

What I'm trying very hard to avoid are nasty surprises.

The opinions on the dubious value of low-time engines are well taken. As an alternative I've been considering a run-out engine, so I could have my own overhaul or reman engine. That way I know its history.

We looked at runout airplnes as well. The problem with those is, by the time you buy a 55K runout J and stick an engine on it, you are back to 80K again. That's before paint, interior, and radios. So we just bought a midtime M20J and paid ~7K for the remaining engine time. We didnt get hurt too badly on it.