Garmin GFC-500 AD

9 minutes ago, 201Mooniac said:

This AD is for the Garmin SB https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=60VrEe33C53rCIuF4KUIt7  from awhile ago.  There has been a software fix for about a year and a half.  Just make sure you are current on the software and you are good to go.

Right - we’re just reaching the effective date of the AD that we discussed last year. 

The required software versions are listed in the AD. I went back and looked, and my software revision is already way ahead of the required minimum, so hopefully this is true for others as well. 

Ref:

(g) Required Action

Within 12 months after the effective date of this AD, update the Garmin GFC 500 Autopilot System software applicable to your airplane to a version that is not 8.01 or earlier for the G5, not version 9.01 or earlier for the G3X Touch, and not version 2.59 or earlier for the GI 275.

1 hour ago, hubcap said:

Does this AD apply to literally every installation in a Mooney?

If it has the GSA 28 pitch trim servo, yes.    Basically, if it has the optional pitch trim, it is likely subject to the AD.    Updating to the indicated software versions achieves compliance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I contacted my installer today about this issue. Apparently, the AD does NOT apply if you have a G3x with software version 9.02 or later. If you are operating with version 9.01 or earlier, it applies. 

I have 9.02 so the AD doesn’t apply to Myrtle.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hubcap said:

I contacted my installer today about this issue. Apparently, the AD does NOT apply if you have a G3x with software version 9.02 or later. If you are operating with version 9.01 or earlier, it applies. 

Yes, from the AD Required Action section:

(g) Required Action
Within 12 months after the effective date of this AD, update the Garmin GFC 500 Autopilot System software applicable to your
airplane to a version that is not 8.01 or earlier for the G5, not version 9.01 or earlier for the G3X Touch, and not version 2.59 or
earlier for the GI 275.

Note 1 to paragraph (g): The software update can be done using Garmin Mandatory STC Service Bulletin 22123, Rev A, dated
January 3, 2023. This AD also allows the installation of versions other than those listed in Garmin Mandatory STC Service Bulletin
22123, Rev A, dated January 3, 2023, provided those versions are not listed in paragraph (g) of this AD.

11 hours ago, hubcap said:

Yes - 

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/49085-garmin-gfc-500-ad/?do=findComment&comment=866067