Lost an exhaust stack today, plane ran better than ever though

2 hours ago, McMooney said:

anyone happen to know the part number.  RH front, cylinder 2 - 1974 m20e io-360-a1a

Download the parts catalog below - it covers your plane.

Look at pages 186-188

One of the problems is that there isn't a "RH front, cylinder 2".    The only way Cylinder 2 can be on the Right side is by looking at it standing in front of the plane looking towards the propeller.  Cylinder 2 is on the Pilots Left side when viewed from the cockpit.  However, your picture shows the alternator in the background of the cylinder with the exhaust stack removed, so I think you mean RH Front Cylinder 1.

Lycoming.jpg.11d503806831828e5e410b58e9c05b4b.jpg

The stack for Cylinder 1 also has the more gentle curve which seems to match your stack.  The stack for Cylinder 2 has a tighter radius.

I think that you are looking for 630053-511.  If you can't get it welded as @N201MKTurbo suggests,  or if it is too corroded then it is easy to come by either salvage or new.

I may be misunderstanding your description but I am sure you can work it out from here.  Good luck.

Stack.jpg.76ac36a57c50ed07c57115fdd48eb55c.jpg

Stack2.jpg.275d06135e16f73747f26e00b05171d4.jpg

Stack3.jpg.ecf674f3eaacc438a35db60b43c4e6a9.jpg

14 hours ago, McMooney said:

1974 m20e io-360-a1a

As Rich suggested, when was the last thorough inspection of the exhaust.  There comes a point where the metallurgy is so brittle that replacement of the complete system is warranted.  If this system is original from 1974, you could be reaching that decision point.  

image.png.b6aae57479cc2daed4dd7a1ea89d846d.png

exhaust is pretty new, despite how the picture looks, the pipes are not corroded or worn.  that's not really rust on the pipes.

thinking maybe the crack had been there awhile and my last landing/planting was the last straw 8)

Fingers crossed, I may not be grounded for the 4th after all, 

the wonderful people  at Planeexhaust.net were able to fabricate a new riser in like an hour, should be here tomorrow.

• Like 2