Looking for kns 80

Anyone have or know where I can find a working kns 80? Looking on eBay they're all parts only with unknown status assumed to be defective. I bought a Mooney this week and the buttons light up with the master but the unit itself will not power on everything else seems to work okay.

1 hour ago, MikeOH said:

I'll check my door stops...:D

I mean I intend to upgrade it, but I want to do instrument training and get comfortable with the aircraft get some time first before blowing into a panel.

46 minutes ago, SilentT said:

I mean I intend to upgrade it, but I want to do instrument training and get comfortable with the aircraft get some time first before blowing into a panel.

@SilentT

Yes, I get it. You just spent money on the purchase and are looking for a low cost way to limp the avionics along until you build up the checkbook to 'do it right'.

Thing is, I don't believe the KNS80 is any longer certified for any kind of terminal or approach use (no VOR/DME approaches left that I'm aware of); enroute nav only for IFR.  There is no database, for one thing!  It's been decades since I flew with a KNS80 and it was a rental so I was only slightly familiar with its use.  Basically, it is a rho/theta system in which you enter waypoints by specifying a VOR, radial, and DME distance. IIRC, only 4 waypoints can be entered at a time. That's it.

IMHO, no way it's going to help get your IA rating except for the IFR cross-country:D

If you really, really want one ($1,500) these guys will at least offer a warranty: https://www.bennettavionics.com/rnav/

4 hours ago, SilentT said:

Anyone have or know where I can find a working kns 80? Looking on eBay they're all parts only with unknown status assumed to be defective. I bought a Mooney this week and the buttons light up with the master but the unit itself will not power on everything else seems to work okay.

https://www.wentworthaircraft.com/avionics/

They don't have a great website, but just give them a call. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a half dozen of these on the shelf.

On 4/28/2024 at 7:54 PM, MikeOH said:

@SilentT

Yes, I get it. You just spent money on the purchase and are looking for a low cost way to limp the avionics along until you build up the checkbook to 'do it right'.

Thing is, I don't believe the KNS80 is any longer certified for any kind of terminal or approach use (no VOR/DME approaches left that I'm aware of); enroute nav only for IFR.  There is no database, for one thing!  It's been decades since I flew with a KNS80 and it was a rental so I was only slightly familiar with its use.  Basically, it is a rho/theta system in which you enter waypoints by specifying a VOR, radial, and DME distance. IIRC, only 4 waypoints can be entered at a time. That's it.

IMHO, no way it's going to help get your IA rating except for the IFR cross-country:D

If you really, really want one ($1,500) these guys will at least offer a warranty: https://www.bennettavionics.com/rnav/

So it's not really about the money. It's about downtime and flying. This plane hadn't flown in years. Need to get hours on find its secrets etc. But that kns80 is the localizer as well, so with no GPS, no localizer or dme now, it's pretty limiting.

On 4/28/2024 at 7:54 PM, MikeOH said:

@SilentT

You might be thinking about a different radio. The KNS80 is capable of receiving localizer and glideslope so it works well for flying an ILS or localizer approach. It has some interesting features for en route navigation but even if you never learn how to use those functions it is a perfectly good backup nav radio that includes DME.

22 minutes ago, mooniac15u said:

You might be thinking about a different radio. The KNS80 is capable of receiving localizer and glideslope so it works well for flying an ILS or localizer approach. It has some interesting features for en route navigation but even if you never learn how to use those functions it is a perfectly good backup nav radio that includes DME.

I was thinking in terms of modern RNAV/GPS approaches and assumed there was another NAV/ILS radio aboard. If not, then a working KNS80 would, as you said, provide ILS capability.

Not so common these days but I guess you could still get the IA rating without any certified GPS aboard.

1 hour ago, SilentT said:

So it's not really about the money. It's about downtime and flying. This plane hadn't flown in years. Need to get hours on find its secrets etc. But that kns80 is the localizer as well, so with no GPS, no localizer or dme now, it's pretty limiting.

Well, if it’s not about money, then it sounds like you should spend the $1500 and buy one from Bennett; known working with at least some warranty.

On 4/28/2024 at 6:05 PM, SilentT said:

Have you turned it on and left it to warm up for a while? Since I don't use mine very often it usually takes a while for the display to warm up. If it's been sitting for a long time it could take a while before you can see anything on the display.

• 2 weeks later...