Any ideas? Garmin pilot

orhepxo

Maybe someone can help out. So today I used my iPad to transfer the flight to the flight stream 510 and then to the gtn750. In flight Garmin pilot and the app on my phone said check your internet connection and would not display weather or the flight. It showed the map but not the airplane or anything else. No traffic .  I checked the settings on the iPad and it said it was connected to the flight stream 510. Any ideas?  Thanks

From what I understand flirestream 510 creates a wifi network but does not connect to internet, so you need to use XM or whatever other source you use for weather.

the problem you may have may be solved if you go to your map set up page and look at the overlays. There you can opt to use Internet, or XM as a source. May be that helps.

oscar

This may be an obvious question but do you have either a GTX 345 transponder or a GDL-88 receiver to receive ADS-B in?  Or do you have an XM datalink receiver such as a GDL-69 or GDL 69-A?  If you want to receive traffic and weather you need the source from a GTX 345 transponder or a GDL-88.  These will give you TIS-B and FIS-B products.  The GDL-69 will provide you with XM products.  Flightstream and your navigator communicate with these sources.

According to Garmin website:

ADS-B TRAFFIC AND WEATHER

Connect your Flight Stream 510 gateway and GTN or GTN Xi series navigator to a GTX 345 transponder or GDL® 88 datalink, and display ADS-B traffic and subscription-free weather on devices running the Garmin Pilot, ForeFlight Mobile or FltPlan Go apps. As part of Garmin Terminal Safety Solutions, TargetTrend and TerminalTraffic features offer added situational awareness of air or ground traffic conflicts.

SIRIUSXM REMOTE CONTROL

With a GDL 69 and GDL 69A SXM datalink receiver (subscription required), the Flight Stream 510 gateway supports the display of SiriusXM Aviation Weather for the U.S. and Canada on the Garmin Pilot app. Plus, you and your passengers can enjoy remote control of SiriusXM satellite music selections, volume controls and audio channels from anywhere in the cabin.

1 hour ago, orhepxo said:

Maybe someone can help out. So today I used my iPad to transfer the flight to the flight stream 510 and then to the gtn750. In flight Garmin pilot and the app on my phone said check your internet connection and would not display weather or the flight. It showed the map but not the airplane or anything else. No traffic .  I checked the settings on the iPad and it said it was connected to the flight stream 510. Any ideas?  Thanks

First things first. You connect via WI-FI to the FS510 before flight only to transfer data using the database concierge service. You connect via Blue tooth during flight to the FS-510 to transfer flight plans and get position source and weather data that may be available to your GTN such as ADS/B through a GTX-345 or XM through a GDL-69A.

I have both devices (XM GTX-345)  and and will also connect my iPad bluetooth to both FS-510 Connext as well as independently to the GTX-345 as a backup for the ADHRS.

So may sure you're also pairing to the FS-510 via the bluetooth connection via the connext setup on the GTN.

After you have the bluetooth connection you'll see your position on the Map. If you're still not see weather products go into the map overlays as Oscar said and select what you want.

Edited by kortopates

You really DO NOT want to be using Internet Traffic while in flight.  It can be delayed by a couple of minutes up to 10+.  So that plane you think is way off at your 2 o'clock might be right in front of you.  As for the "check your Internet connection" that is very possibly the other reason why NOT to use Cellular Data because it is not reliable while in flight.  The other reason, but I don't know Garmin Pilot, is that if you're connected to your FS510, GP may disable Internet Data. 

If you have a GTN750, I'm going to assume you have an ADS-B IN device?  Maybe a GTX345?  That is where you're Wx and Traffic will come from through the GTN.  So put the iPhone/iPad in Airplane Mode and turn on the Bluetooth for the FS510. 

NOTE: FlightAware themselves have a Disclaimer that there can be as much as a two minute delay even when you're at home on a computer with a high speed internet connection.  So it's pretty apparent that in the air with a crappy Cellular Data connection there's no telling.

Edited by PeteMc

A couple of things to check- I’ve sometimes had to manually change the weather and traffic sources to fis-b within GP.   

If you have a cellular plan and don’t have that cell network turned off, that could be a symptom once you get some altitude and lose cell service.