Alaska bound

231flyer

We had a fantastic visit to Alaska. We decided to focus on SouthEast Alaska rather than try to do the entire state in 10 days.  Clearly 10 days was not even enough time for the relatively small area we covered (around Ketchikan to Juneau) so we will need to make several trips back.  We flew into Ketchikan from Bellingham, WA (KBLI) and overflew Canada completely thus avoiding border crossings/ fire arm declerations etc.  On the way back we flew directly from Juneau to Bellingham.  The flying was incredible and very comfortable.  We did the coastal route and found the airways to be very helpful along with ATC (Vancouver and Anchorage Centers).  The weather Gods were good to us.....we even got two sunny days in Juneau.  Highly recommend to anyone wanting to experience our last frontier state.  

Photos to follow.

Quote: 231flyer

We had a fantastic visit to Alaska. We decided to focus on SouthEast Alaska rather than try to do the entire state in 10 days.  Clearly 10 days was not even enough time for the relatively small area we covered (around Ketchikan to Juneau) so we will need to make several trips back.  We flew into Ketchikan from Bellingham, WA (KBLI) and overflew Canada completely thus avoiding border crossings/ fire arm declerations etc.  On the way back we flew directly from Juneau to Bellingham.  The flying was incredible and very comfortable.  We did the coastal route and found the airways to be very helpful along with ATC (Vancouver and Anchorage Centers).  The weather Gods were good to us.....we even got two sunny days in Juneau.  Highly recommend to anyone wanting to experience our last frontier state.  

Photos to follow.

Quote: jbs007

If possible, I would recommend travelling by RV through Alaska.  I say that because I have done it.  Don't get me wrong; being a bush pilot up there would be the ultimate, but if youre there to visit and have have a month or so... rvalaskatours.com.  My uncle runs it and I worked for him for a summer when I was in college.  Started in Northern BC, through Yukon territory and all over AK.  We saw people from cruise ships and other touring means through the trip and it was obvious they didnt see half the wilderness, culture, or experience we got.  They are very flexible and there is no harm contacting them to see if you could fly up there, rent an RV somewhere and participate in as little or as much of there month long tours as you want.  Alaska is awesome!

Dan, I totally agree with your refrain on crusing to Alaska.  We ran into several cruisers at the various activities all along the SE and to a person they all woold never do the cruise again.  Apparently the ships are not as nice (older and smaller) compared to their Caribbean sisters and port calls are rushed given all there is to do.  It is cool to "buzz" them though as you fly along the various inlets and fjords.  The flying experience is unique to say the least. Simply amazing!!

Quote: tomcullen

To continue that thought, I recommend you don;t visit Alaska by cruise ship with the expectation of getting the full experience.  The cruise ship ports are just shopping malls with imported summer help, often from other countries, with the same stores as you see in their Caribbean ports.   You may like cruises, just keep your expectations relaistic.

This is why I look forward to flying into Alaska someday, and getting past the ports, and spending some time without 2000 other tourists on the same schedule as me.  Or a motorcycle trip, if I have more time than money when the opportunity comes around.

-dan

Quote: 231flyer

Dan, I totally agree with your refrain on crusing to Alaska.  We ran into several cruisers at the various activities all along the SE and to a person they all woold never do the cruise again.  Apparently the ships are not as nice (older and smaller) compared to their Caribbean sisters and port calls are rushed given all there is to do.  It is cool to "buzz" them though as you fly along the various inlets and fjords.  The flying experience is unique to say the least. Simply amazing!!

I bet it was a lot easier just overflying Canada. I'm sure it was a great trip. I did the Al-Can Hwy back in 1992, up to Fairbanks then down to Keneai & back. Needless to say it was a wonderful trip, from the 1st hour to the last. The wife to be & I camped with the plane most of the time & only got a few rooms. We met some family up there who flew commercial & drove around  & did some fishing and sightseeing.

I agree, I'm not ready for a cruise ship yet. I like to freelance when on a trip.