HELP- Is this a Factory Build Error?

Ollie

Just discovered an anomaly in the fitting of my M20J gear Actuator. See 4 pics/ Looks like a manufacturing defect where the bolt and the hold do not line up and the bracket upside down and is rubbing on the fuel lines. Can anybody help out with some correct information here? Is this the same in your M20J? Thank you so much for any help or advice. (David,  Brisbane - Australia).

Orig hole.jpg

Bolt.jpg

Main bracket.jpg

Fuel line.jpg

One thing I notice is that everything under there looks 30 years old EXCEPT the piece the gear motor is attached to. Has it been replaced?

With that much chafing on the actuator, I’d definitely take a close look at the tubing integrity.

Skip

• Like 1

Mine was like that when I bought it. Same scrapes and everything. The fitting that the actuator is hooked to is upside down. 

Mine got that way during a gear up repair. 

Check the machined part, it has a curved corner, it should fit into the inside radius of the sheet metal. If it is upside down, there will be a square corner by the radius.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 5

Yes. Mine is back from a 2020 gear-up landing. The overhauled actuator in the pic (AUD $17,000) has only done 56hrs and failed. The engineer installed this overhauled one because the old one was damaged during the gear-up. I assume he just reversed the procedure when he removed the one damaged in the GU and did not notice the anomaly. I am waiting for a friend to look at his to see how that it fitted. Will report back.

• Like 1

Mine was like that when I bought it. Same scrapes and everything. The fitting that the actuator is hooked to is upside down. 

Mine got that way during a gear up repair. 

Check the machined part, it has a curved corner, it should fit into the inside radius of the sheet metal. If it is upside down, there will be a square corner by the radius.

Are you talking about #5 in this parts diagram?

27ccdbb56776810427e4379be64b5a33.png

5 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Its Poka is not Yoke.

Although it would seem obvious to put the rounded corner of the plate into the rounded recess, rather than putting g the square corner I to the rounded recess and leaving the rounded corner hanging out . . . Or is that just the Mechanical Engineer in me?

The orange stuff on the shaft is chalk. The engineer used this to confirm the shaft is actually rubbing on the fuel lines. it looks like the whole assembly has to be de-riveted to rectify this problem. Oh well, it's only mooney (er, I mean money). Thank you everyone for your advice.

36 minutes ago, Ollie said:

The orange stuff on the shaft is chalk. The engineer used this to confirm the shaft is actually rubbing on the fuel lines. it looks like the whole assembly has to be de-riveted to rectify this problem. Oh well, it's only mooney (er, I mean money). Thank you everyone for your advice.

Ah, got it.