'94 J Cowl Flap rigging

Hi,

Have a 1994 201J. 1640TT. Electric Globe cowl flap motor removed for overhaul by Allied Motion in AL, I guess. (Was occasionally tripping breaker, now will only run for <1 sec and trips breaker; both directions. Slight burnt elec odor from motor when disassembled. Checked & cleaned connections).

Anyway, with the motor out, how much resistance should be on the cowl flap rigging? Maintenance Manual 71-13-02 doesn't mention. Mine seems to have resistance in both directions. Maybe 3-4 pounds worth? I realize air resistance to open flaps is probably more, but just wondering if too much caused motor to wear?

BTW, are shops & mechanics everywhere in the country as busy as they are here in SoCal? Wow. Frustrating.

Thanks!!!

-Joe

KCCB

There should be no resistance to movement in the mechanical system.  I’d suggest disconnecting a piece at a time until you find the trouble.  Clean and lubricate everything.

Most shops are busy, there are fewer of us left doing general aviation maintenance.

Clarence

I agree with the above. I have a 92 J and I have the motor out for repair. If you breathe on the cowl flaps they move. Just enough resistance to keep it in place after I let go.

Brian