Sun N Fun 2011

201guy

Aviation Consumer did a test of tie-down options a few years ago. While the dog tie-downs are a popular and cheap choice, they fail miserably in terms of their ability to actually hold an airplane down if any real wind kicks up. I bought a set of the Sporty's augur-type tie-downs several years ago, and while these fared somewhat better, they do not work well in sandy soil which is what you'll find in Florida.

So they're what I still use since I own them, but if I were to do it again I'd go ahead and invest the $100 in The Claw system which got the highest marks and was the only system that could withstand the required force to effectively secure an aircraft (I think it was 600lbs, if memory serves.) But it depends on your budget and how much you think you'll use them over the years. My MacGyver-esque buddy fabricated a system for his 172 from Home Depot, using two-foot threaded bolts and some rope and a hammer. Frankly, when those things are pounded in I think they could withstand about anything...getting them out is the problem.

Jeff, I just ordered 'The Claw' for the reason you mentioned. After Anthony's commend about the hard sandy soil I thought the auger style tie-downs might not work well. I don't know how often I'll need to tie down on grass, but decided to make the investment.

I would still consider a caravan in if it's allowed. However, I was looking at the NOTAM document that was just posted on the Sun-n-fun site last week, and it apparently involves visual sequencing of planes from a ground station over a nearby lake (don't have the document with me), where they call you out based on description and you acknowledge by rocking your wings. I don't know if that's the same as previously, but if there are a number of mooneys coming in at the same time it might confuse their process unless it's worked out with them ahead of time.

Alisha

Looks like I'll be jetting it back from LA on Friday, so my only option will be a day trip on either Saturday or Sunday. David, if you decide which day you're going drop me an email and maybe we can get together.

If anyone wanted to share the round trip fuel expenses from Memphis, TN I wouldn't mind heading there if there happen to be one or two people in the area who wanted to go.  I'm currently working in Memphis but live in FL and I'm looking for a reason to get back to the East Coast for a couple of days!

Even without a caravan and without a formal event for Mooney pilots, there's no reason we can't set up our own plans to meet up somewhere. If someone here is familiar with the layout of the fly-in, perhaps they could suggest a place to meet.

LOL! Beech boys. I dont think there touring. You can always tell a Beach owner when they talk aircraft. They hold their head sideways and ask how my flight was. Apparently suggesting lack of Mooney headroom. I just smile and say yea just as fast with half your fuel bill. 

There are no retrictions on a caravan. Just follow the notam single file. I think most pilots are uneasy about flying around multiple aircraft. I fly every day and perhaps have become bored with a flight of one.

Good point. A single file Mooney caravan congo line over the smoke stack would be cool.

Tight formation flying in our planes takes a certain mindset. I've taugh some friends, even an F-33 owner, who take to it like ducks to water. Other pilots, some with lots of hours, want no part of it. Usually the nervous, fidgety, distrustful type.

No problem, but formation is good discipline and lots of fun. Of course it takes some good pre-flight briefing and a bit of loose formation training. The tower guys at my home drome get a kick out of formation take-offs and landings, as a change of pace.

They always look better from the ground that they look in the cockpit. Cool 

Our Mooney is down for an engine overhaul and will not be ready in time to make the trip.  If anyone is passing through lower Alabama and has room I would like to go.  I've flown in before and I am familiar with the arrival.

We have received three inquiries in the last few days about whether the Mooney Ambassadors will have a presences at Sun n Fun.  Here is what is going on so far.  I am happy to forward prop and display tags for your aircraft including a Mooney History sheet.  I also have t-shirts available should you like to wear an Ambassador shirt. $20 includes shipping, S-XL also have one L Sweatshirt $45.

I can try to see if there is anyway to park together, but I have never been and would perhaps seem foolish, but happy to contact AOPA if folks would like to do that.

PM or email me if you want the templates or a shirt.