Long day- Altus, OK....eyyy...

What a day 1300NM and 9 hours of flying. Thank god for tailwinds & bottled oxygen! http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N5842Q/history/20110120/1615Z/KPLU/KGXY

Anyway I am stuck in Oklahoma for 6 weeks for some training. I will be based out of Altus, OK. Anybody know any good places to fly withing 300 miles of KAXS? Maybe some good $100 hamburgers we could meet up at!  Let me know! :)

Bryan, try KSEP (Stephenville, TX) for some BBQ at Hard Eight, just over an hour away from you.  For a longer trip, get down to KAQO (Llano, TX) for a visit with Llano Larry (runs the airport) and some BBQ at Coopers (if you go there, be sure to let Llano Larry know that Bub Moss' nephew sent ya).  Both of these are easy to get to from their repsective airports.  I could throw in a plug for my brother's burger joint down at KHPY (Baytown, TX), but let's face it, there's really no redeeming reason to go to that part of Texas.  However, if you're so inclined and decide you just can't stay away from Houston's Class B, let me know and I'll see if I can arrange for your burgers to be delivered plane-side.

Bryan,

Wish I wasn't deployed or I'd come meet you at one of the airport's.

Here's a couple I normally hit in Kansas:

K81 (Paola/Miami County) - We B' Smokin BBQ is in the terminal.  Open M-S, Sun only for brekafast.

Topeka Forbes Field (KFOE): Visit the combat air museum located at the end of the runway. 

Hutchinson (KHUT): The Airport Steakhouse is located in the terminal.  A short trip down the road  from the airport is the Kansas Cosmosphere Center and Space Center

Enjoy your stay in Oklahoma.  At least your not there during Tornado season.

Brian

I just saw a flyer at work announcing a KS Pilot's Association fly-out to Topeka (KFOE) for lunch at 11:00 AM followed by a tour of the Combat Air Museum at noon on Feb. 12.  

There are quite a few options in Wichita around town and a few Mooney pilots here...also Stearman Field (1K1) is just east of town and has a very nice restaurant on the field now.

Welcome to Oklahoma.  I'm up at PWA - Wiley Post.  Check out the Oklahoma Pilot's Association webiste - there are some fly-in's listed, that you might be interested in.  Coming up in February - the Vintage Mooney Association - South Central Chapter is gathering at Tyler Texas.  Arrive around 1000, lunch around 1100, guest speaker and a museum.  There are about 12+ planes signed up already.  Enjoy your training and our abundant wind!

A third vote for Enrique's at Ponca City. Try the burrito with hot salsa verde sauce. You could have a JATO takeoff afterward (due to gas vent-off) and impress the locals. No smoking in the cockpit during actuation, though.

There is a possibility I might try and go down to someplace in TX this weekend...I do not want to go north after this storm!!!  I was thinking KSEP for some BBQ. I'll have to see if we still have the weekend off, the plan would be either saturday for lunch or sunday. Anyone else want to join? Parker....thats right up your way!