M20F Approach Configuration

5 hours ago, Shiny moose said:

Im sure it was a typo, just causing drama on MS. but don’t you think something like that could cause confusion

I have a 67F , POH speeds 120mph gear 105 flaps, 

They talk differently down in Texas!

I too have a 67F with the same Vspeeds. I think that the wording in the TCDS is  awkward especially the way the lines are spaced.

6 hours ago, Shadrach said:

They talk differently down in Texas!

I too have a 67F with the same Vspeeds. I think that the wording in the TCDS is  awkward especially the way the lines are spaced.

Although not needed,  I would welcome a mod for 125 Vfe for our old birds. 

3 hours ago, Shiny moose said:

Although not needed,  I would welcome a mod for 125 Vfe for our old birds. 

I don’t think there’s a physical difference between the systems. I think it was a paperwork change only. Vfe really ought to differ by percentage of flaps deployed. I’m pretty sure the load on the system is exponential with speed (increasing from 1/2 flaps to full more than doubles the force). 

19 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I don’t think there’s a physical difference between the systems. I think it was a paperwork change only. Vfe really ought to differ by percentage of flaps deployed. I’m pretty sure the load on the system is exponential with speed (increasing from 1/2 flaps to full more than doubles the force). 

Maybe,

There is a significant difference between the load paths with the flaps all the way up and down any amount.

With the flaps up the torsional force of the flap about its hing is supported by the stop screw. As soon as you take the flaps off the stop screw the torsional loads are supported by the extension mechanism. I have never seen it, but I’ve read that over stressing the flaps causes cracks in the sheet metal where the flap torque tube hinges mount.

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Maybe,

There is a significant difference between the load paths with the flaps all the way up and down any amount.

With the flaps up the torsional force of the flap about its hing is supported by the stop screw. As soon as you take the flaps off the stop screw the torsional loads are supported by the extension mechanism. I have never seen it, but I’ve read that over stressing the flaps causes cracks in the sheet metal where the flap torque tube hinges mount.

I’m sure that Mooney made a change to flap attachment points in 1968 with that speed change, If it was the same wouldn’t have someone produced an STC 

A few years ago we had a really good thread going concerning this exact topic, particularly how SB M20-217 came into play by strengthening the rear attachments for the flaps.  Even that SB doesn't allow for the higher speeds.

https://mooneyspace.com/topic/14121-1967-vs-1968-max-flaps-speed-increased-20-mph-whats-different/