Propellor controller stuck

ryoder

I tried twisting it. Maybe i need to try again tomorrow. I only spent a minute or two on it because I had a friend onboard and was afraid of makin it worse if thats possible. Twisting it to the left seemed to only allow one twist and then it stopped. Do the buttons go bad? How about cables? Are they dressed with grease inside?

These older cables just wear out. Have replaced several throughout the years. (Three)

If totally scatterwalloped, I would take a long hard look at the throttle vernier.

A frozen or broken throttle vernier cable can put you in the corn patch pretty fast.

Review FAA accident reports for verification.

• Like 1

before replacing it make sure it has lubrication!!! when you look in to see the oil filler to the left should be the governor and the line to the prop control. There is a telescoping arm in there that if you lub it up, will work normally again.....or should. Mine started to becoming a bit stiff and I lubed that puppy up and she slides in and out like shes supposed to! :D If you need pics...of the plane governor let me know! 

• Like 2

Great idea. I didn't know about that. I'll check it out. Is this in the maintenance manual?

Am I lubing the control cable or something the cable actuates? What kind of lube? I am looking for pics of this online but can't find any and I didn't see it listed in the service manual.

D54BBE6D-F27B-49AD-A482-60D6A9ED2DB7.jpg

The part just below/right of the spring is actually part of the telescoping feature.It's parallel to the L bracket on mine. It should have a solid connection at the top (nuts/screws) and then go into the control via a nut/screw.

Lub that up with some LPS or lubricant you use on other parts of the aircraft and it should start to work smoothly...well I hope! Like I said, I did this and it worked great. Get it before it freezes. 

• Like 1

may just need some lubrication

Mine was getting caught/having a "catching" feeling during runup two months ago.  It looked fine when I mentioned it to my A&P.  We decided to lubricated it as it looked fine.  That was all that was needed - silky smooth now - if that hadn't have worked I would have been on here asking suggestions.

-Seth

My A&P worked it out and it works ok now. He didn't lube it, just unstuck it. I flew six hours in it and it was fine. He said I should change it out when I put in a new engine. I would like to lube it but I don't know how. I looked inside the cowling and it looks different than your pic. Maybe I should take my own pic.