More practical IFR advice

RobertE

I can use a radar and fly around storms ... but I am unable to figure out why some of my pics post up-side-down?

Do you save them and "rotate" twice and re-save?

It's killing me ... just killing me!

Never figure out why they do get inverted. I suspect it may have to do with whether the picture is taken with the iPad/iPhoneorientation the same way. I keep the home button always on the left in landscape and at the bottom in portrait mode and mine stay correct.

And as for inverting them, yep, twice rotated to get them right.

Not much to add to the already good advice except to say that my cardinal rule with regard to t-storms is if you can't see them you should be on the ground.  Even though I have XM and a Stormscope and combined with assistance from ATC I will not fool with t-storms unless I am in visual conditions.  Embedded t-storms cannot be reliably avoided with these tools in IMC unless you are talking isolated and are able to give them a wide berth, which in my opinion is 30nm or more.  In VMC its very easy.

In six years of IFR flying in the SE I have had very few flights cancelled because of t-storms and the ones that were no go's were usually because I could not fly in the morning.

I can tell you this Mooney pilot was more than happy to watch that on video inside! When did the last hurricane reach Raleigh?

Not a hurricane. This was the line of thunderstorms that passed through this past Sunday. We were en route home from the Outrt Banks when we saw it coming (on iPad) and diverted.