Aileron Gap seal install

It rained here all weekend and was a little cooler so we started installing the Aileron Gap seals that I had purchased from Lasar a few months ago. Its not a very bad job and took about 2 hrs per side. I also took the opportunity to remove the 3 large dirt dauber nest that were inside the ailerons. Has anyone ever glued hardware cloth over the openings to keep the critters out?

post-7624-0-88803500-1377003414_thumb.jp

post-7624-0-67938200-1377003436_thumb.jp

No solution to the mud dauber problem. I had one build a nest on my rudder where the VOR antenna is attached. If you find a solution, let us know! Also let us know what improvements you see with the seals attached. I bought my plane with them already installed, so I never saw what advantages pre and post installation.

• Like 1

I think I'm going to corrosion X the inside and then cover the holes with hardware cloth attached with 3m weatherstrip glue.  I'm also doing the SWTA 201 windshield, ARI cowl, flap seals and 1pc belly, so hopefully I'll pick up a few kts and some climb performance.

• Like 2

It rained here all weekend and was a little cooler so we started installing the Aileron Gap seals that I had purchased from Lasar a few months ago. Its not a very bad job and took about 2 hrs per side. I also took the opportunity to remove the 3 large dirt dauber nest that were inside the ailerons. Has anyone ever glued hardware cloth over the openings to keep the critters out?

Can you take a picture please of what it looks like once fully installed?

Aileron seals also make it more difficult to Corrosion X the inside of the ailerons.  I have been very tempted to add them but so far have not.  Mike, I'll be very interested to hear if you can perceive any speed or climb performance improvements.

FWIW, Annual Corrosion X treatments seem to discourage rodent and insect infestations. 

Jim

Jim -- I thought all of the J fleet had them factory installed. Were they added to the fleet later?

• 3 years later...
10 hours ago, N1395W said:

Bumping this thread.

Are aileron gap seals a worthy addition?  Not really concerned with speed gain, more wondering if aileron feel and control are improved.

Yes.  It is a marginal improvement in roll authority and a tad of speed, small improvement, but small investment. So for a little bit of dough you make your airplane a little bit better.