Ovation and LOP Flying

NickG

Big thanks to @Deb for showing me the way! I never realized how much these birds love LOP. I do a lot of X-Country (2 trips Vegas to Texas in the last 3 weeks alone) and after offering me advice and pointing me to to Pelican’s Perch I think I’ve got it! 20 LOP of thereabouts generally gets me 172-174KTAS at between 11.4- 12 GPH. WOT, 2550RPM. Climb is WOT and lean to keep at 1250 EGT all the way to altitude. Love to hear from others what you get LOP.

IMG_6307.jpeg

IMG_6304.jpeg

IMG_6294.jpeg

IMG_6290.jpeg

IMG_6289.jpeg

IMG_6288.jpeg

IMG_6287.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, NickG said:

Big thanks to @Deb for showing me the way! I never realized how much these birds love LOP. I do a lot of X-Country (2 trips Vegas to Texas in the last 3 weeks alone) and after offering me advice and pointing me to to Pelican’s Perch I think I’ve got it! 20 LOP of thereabouts generally gets me 172-174KTAS at between 11.4- 12 GPH. WOT, 2550RPM. Climb is WOT and lean to keep at 1250 EGT all the way to altitude. Love to hear from others what you get LOP.

IMG_6307.jpeg

IMG_6304.jpeg

IMG_6294.jpeg

IMG_6290.jpeg

IMG_6289.jpeg

IMG_6288.jpeg

IMG_6287.jpeg

Excellent!  Yes, LOP is the way to go in many cases.  Your CHT temps will be cooler (in general) too, so good for the long term engine health.  

Just be careful leaning as you climb.  It’s fine (and I do it as well) but you need to keep an eye on your chts.  If the OAT is very high or you are a little slow or maybe lean a little too much, it’s possible to get your chts hot real fast.  Just don’t overdo a good thing…

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Excellent!  Yes, LOP is the way to go in many cases.  Your CHT temps will be cooler (in general) too, so good for the long term engine health.  

Just be careful leaning as you climb.  It’s fine (and I do it as well) but you need to keep an eye on your chts.  If the OAT is very high or you are a little slow or maybe lean a little too much, it’s possible to get your chts hot real fast.  Just don’t overdo a good thing…

Thanks! Yes.. I watch them like a hawk!!!!!

1 minute ago, StevenL757 said:

@NickG - that's exactly where you should be...consistently.

Next thing I'll hear is that you're making TBO and beyond with that engine.  :-)

I REALLY hope so!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

Interesting about that 20 LOP. There are multiple cruise performance charts in newer Bonanza G36 models (same engine). Two are based on flying 20 LOP. So LOP is apparently coming into the mainstream.

I believe John Deakin author of Pelican's Perch articles flew a Bonanza so I'm assuming that much of his advice comes from that.  

• 3 weeks later...