M20J Fuel Cap P/N's

Boredom got eh best of me this week and I looked at the underside of my fuel caps and regret I did.  I have thew Jose Monroy aux tanks and each of my four gas caps has a different Shaw Part Number.

Mains are both 431-9R and

Aux are:  531-001 and 531-401

I looked around for interchange P/Ns but cannot find any definitive answers.  My annual is scheduled for next month but it's getting the better of my curiosity.  Are these the correct parts?  I have not had any problems with them.

Thanks in advance.

Parker Hannifin acquired Shaw Aero in 2008.  I can't find any information or cross reference on the Parker site.

Salvage caps are available

BeechTalk - BT - FS: Shaw 416, 516, 431, 531 fuel caps

New caps (knock offs) are made from fluorosilicone. 

Gallagher Aviation Shaw 431/531 Fluorosilicone Fuel Cap Kit- (gallagheraviationllc.com)

I think you are misreading the Aux - there is no 531-401.

BTW - I also have a J with Monroy's - my Aux tank caps are the smaller diameter Shaw Aero 416

7 hours ago, WheelPantsOff said:

Boredom got eh best of me this week and I looked at the underside of my fuel caps and regret I did.  I have thew Jose Monroy aux tanks and each of my four gas caps has a different Shaw Part Number.

Mains are both 431-9R and

Aux are:  531-001 and 531-401

I looked around for interchange P/Ns but cannot find any definitive answers.  My annual is scheduled for next month but it's getting the better of my curiosity.  Are these the correct parts?  I have not had any problems with them.

Thanks in advance.

On my 252, all 4 are 531-001.

13 hours ago, 1980Mooney said:

Parker Hannifin acquired Shaw Aero in 2008.  I can't find any information or cross reference on the Parker site.

Salvage caps are available

BeechTalk - BT - FS: Shaw 416, 516, 431, 531 fuel caps

New caps (knock offs) are made from fluorosilicone. 

Gallagher Aviation Shaw 431/531 Fluorosilicone Fuel Cap Kit- (gallagheraviationllc.com)

I think you are misreading the Aux - there is no 531-401.

BTW - I also have a J with Monroy's - my Aux tank caps are the smaller diameter Shaw Aero 416

Those are just the o-rings that are made from Fluorosilicone (blue color) for the 431/531.

This is on topic/off topic, but I am always fearful that someday someone will steal one or both of my J's gas caps when parked outside at another airport. So I will be able to fly home, I keep two tennis balls and duct tape in the back that can  be used to cover the holes while in flight.

Yes, maybe I am paranoid.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beard said:

This is on topic/off topic, but I am always fearful that someday someone will steal one or both of my J's gas caps when parked outside at another airport. So I will be able to fly home, I keep two tennis balls and duct tape in the back that can  be used to cover the holes while in flight.

Yes, maybe I am paranoid.

Great!  Now I have one more thing to worry about.  I carry a spare cap to guard against the possibility that one gets left sitting unnoticed on the wing, and fuel is gushing out after takeoff.  Never occurred to me that someone might steal all of them.  Mine don't have lanyards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fly Boomer said:

Great!  Now I have one more thing to worry about.  I carry a spare cap to guard against the possibility that one gets left sitting unnoticed on the wing, and fuel is gushing out after takeoff.  Never occurred to me that someone might steal all of them.  Mine don't have lanyards.

I do the same.   I got a used one off ebay and stripped and repainted it, put new o-rings on it, etc., and keep it in a baggy in my luggage hatch.    I was on a long trip once with a buddy in his airplane and we managed to leave one of the caps for his plane at a fuel stop.   We didn't notice it until we got to our destination and were tying down.    Taped some plastic over it and went on a hunt for a replacement in BFE rural central plains states US.   Turned out the cap from a Harbor Freight generator at the time fit a Cherokee.   Since that sort of thing isn't possible with a Mooney I figured I should get a spare.  ;) 

• Like 1