MLG Assist Spring

• 3 weeks later...

One of the top assist springs broke on my M20E a few years ago.  I noticed it right away as the manual gear forces increased greatly.   I could still operate the gear but it took a real heave-ho to bring it up.  It came down real fast, though....

Lasar at Lakeport CA had the spring in stock.  They also have the Mooney tool -- a big long lever with the proper fittings -- to install the thing.  I was happy to watch rather than help as it took two strong and experienced A&Ps about half an hour and a lot of hard pulling to get the new part installed. 

My A&P  made me replace them about two years ago on my annual , I have a M20B with manual gear and they were available about two years ago from mooney , about 70 dollars each (ouch)...  You do not need to rent the tool to install them...  Put the spring in a vise and bend it back and fourth putting quarters in the recesses at 12 and 6 o'clock... after about 40 quarters the springs will be long enough to fit to the belcranks...  When you put the gear down all the quarters will fall out into the wing!!!!  then its off to the vending machine!!!!  Don't laugh.. it works and saves on the tool rental.. Reguards Alan...

• Like 4

• 4 years later...

My A&P  made me replace them about two years ago on my annual , I have a M20B with manual gear and they were available about two years ago from mooney , about 70 dollars each (ouch)...  You do not need to rent the tool to install them...  Put the spring in a vise and bend it back and fourth putting quarters in the recesses at 12 and 6 o'clock... after about 40 quarters the springs will be long enough to fit to the belcranks...  When you put the gear down all the quarters will fall out into the wing!!!!  then its off to the vending machine!!!!  Don't laugh.. it works and saves on the tool rental.. Reguards Alan...

I have the tool and it is still a major PITA.

THIS METHOD IS BRILLANT!

I will never use the tool again....

I replaced one of mine a year ago. Bought it from don maxwell for about $100. Built a tool to stretch the spring and installed wedges between the coils. Jacked the plane, unlatched the gear, held the gear up by hand and installed the spring, lowered the gear and all the wedges fell out. Worked great. The new spring was stronger and made the gear work a lot easier.