Diamond da50RG

On 9/1/2020 at 7:01 AM, chriscalandro said:

I believe it’s 300hp at 14gph on JetA and can get down to 8-10gph. 

useful load 1232

182kts cruise

Too many engines? It has 1...

They highlight the 182 kts cruise and 9 gph.....but you get one or the other - not both.  I think you are right that consumption is about 14 gph wide open at 182 kts.  At 9 gph speed drops to about 150 kts.  

It is a pig.  The prototype DA50 SuperStar with fixed gear and IO-550 at 2007 AirVenture had an empty weight of 2,200 lbs.  The DA50 RG has grown to an empty weight of 3,175 lbs without options. - gained almost half a ton.  Max TO weight for the DA50 is 4,407 lbs.  - that's1232 useful load is before options.  A/C and FIKI will knock UL down considerably.  The DA50 wing and fuselage is basically the same as the DA62, just chopped down a couple feet on each.  DA62 owners on the Diamond site typically say that the options knock over 200 lbs off their UL.  A DA50 with options empty weighs about the same as an Ovation at max gross.

TO is really long for DA50 RG- 2,427 ft

Mooney Ultra Acclaim - 2,100 ft

Mooney Ultra Ovation - 1,600 ft..

Bonanza G36 - 1,913 ft.

Cirrus SR22T - 1,517 ft

Cirrus SR22 - 1,082 ft

Quite frankly the DA-50 is probably underpowered. And to lift this bloat they have fitted massive 44 ft. wings which means you have to rent a really big T-hangar if you can find one..  Where I am based annual T-hangar cost for a DA-50 will be $2,200 more than a Mooney or Bonanza and $1,600 more than a Cirrus SR22. If you fly less than 100 hours per year that will eat up a good portion of the fuel cost savings from the diesel Diamond.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 9/1/2020 at 9:46 AM, dzeleski said:

Not that I can afford this thing.... but the video they posted on YouTube says its a 5 seater, then they show people getting in the back seats and its very much not a 5 seater for adults. I love that its an RG though. The full fuel UL + range is pretty crap though. I wish the SR20/22 was RG as I probably would have looked at some of them more seriously, I hated how the side stick felt though.

This might happen... Mooney building Diamonds. Think about that.