Mooney spotting today

Jim Peace

Short rudder with the flag holder (round tube), the tab and large gaps. Typical of the 65C...

You both are trimmed for landing, elevators parked slightly up.

The R, lengthened the rudder, dropped the flag holder, added seals, smoothed over the large holes and include electric rudder trim.  The elevator hangs all the way down when parked...

The flag holder and trim tab solved challenges that the Mooney design doesn't have.

Best regards,

-a-

Ross--

My C also does not have the flag holder / trim tab on the rudder, and I do have the big, ugly, multi-layered piece on front of the stab where the towel bar is anchored. Can't help but notice the plane in the foreground has a much simpler towel bar mount. if I had one like that, I would remove it, but I don't feel up to repairing the monster I have.

Anthony--

When parking, I often observe that my trim indicator is very close to the Takeoff position, rather like the plane in the foreground. Do you know where yours generally is? Or do you play with the power trim and move it?

13 minutes ago, Hank said:

Ross--

My C also does not have the flag holder / trim tab on the rudder, and I do have the big, ugly, multi-layered piece on front of the stab where the towel bar is anchored. Can't help but notice the plane in the foreground has a much simpler towel bar mount. if I had one like that, I would remove it, but I don't feel up to repairing the monster I have.

Anthony--

When parking, I often observe that my trim indicator is very close to the Takeoff position, rather like the plane in the foreground. Do you know where yours generally is? Or do you play with the power trim and move it?

My "towell rack" is identical to the plane in the foreground. I have since removed the ADF antenna that used to droop when trimmed for landing. The C in the foreground is a 64.

Hank, 

(During solo flight) I am a big fan of lots of up trim prior to final.  My C and R seem(ed) to be set up the same way.  Take-off I set at the top of the range. 

Funny thing about electric trim...  The only way to precisely know it hasn't reached the stop is to put your hand on the trim wheel while trimming.  To busy looking outside, and at ASI, to watch the wheel or the indicator. The indicator is glacial in terms of watching for the next LED to be lit.

The R's yoke pins itself to the IP when not in motion. Any electronic gadget connected to the yoke shaft bangs the instruments and clashes when boxing L/R freedom of controls...

The TopProp has added a couple of pounds up front that the original Mac didn't have.  Nothing a good tool box couldn't remediate.:)

To answer your question slightly more directly...

1) C: I used to adjust trim in conjunction with each pump of flaps. Full flaps and setting the trim for max up on base, essentially sets the airspeed, and adjust throttle to control the VS in the traffic pattern. Most CFIs will advise of not doing this because every day is different and too much trim can lead to being too slow on final...

2) R: Trim while the flaps are moving. Moving the flap switch means hold the trim switch until the flaps stop moving.  They are nicely engineered to operate at identical speeds. Heeding the CFI's proper advice, there is much trim adjustment going on at a busy time.  Increased opportunity to fall behind. I think I understand why my traffic patterns have gotten three towns wide.

Electric trim is great for go-arounds.  The trim switch must be extra strong. Maintaining attitude with full flaps and power on requires some strong force with the left arm while adjusting the trim with a gentle nudge of the thumb. Sometimes the thumb is trying to assist the arm while pressing on the switch...

Multi-tasking euphoria when it all comes together,

-a-

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Ross--

Anthony--

I often find myself at full nose up trim when light and just the front seat filled. I have since removed the sloppy ADF antenna. 

• 7 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...