Amazing article that in part explains why I fly

Houman

Now we are pretty much passionate about flying, but a good portion of us I imagine do it as a hobby and not as our main breadwinning profession.

Even if this is an old article, it still moves me everytime I read it and the subject of it is one of the main reasons why I bought my Mooney, very nicely written and worth reading every once in a while.

When I pick my son from school on friday for the start of my week with him, the 1st thing out of his mouth is not dad I missed you or I love you, it is almost everytime, where are we flying to this weekend... The memories we make on these flights are priceless.

http://airfactsjournal.com/2015/06/how-airplanes-bridge-gap-fathers-sons/?utm_source=MarketingEmail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=A15062C&utm_content=AirFactsJournal&_bta_tid=3.Nfw.BxFj1w.C9h9.AXkJsA..AfxxAA.b..l.A2Tp.n.VX2zEA.VX3eVQ.g30m1g&_bta_c=ay6e3nxyb0o20qvmigsehickf2fe7

• Like 6

Thanks for sharing.

My son has been out on his own for more years that I like to admit, but the other day we flew down to Dauphin Island for lunch. Duringt the enroute time we went through the trip log and remembered all the flights and life events recorded with simple tach times and airport codes.

It really was a sentimental journey.

• Like 1

Same here Houman.  I got into flying about 10 years ago (after wanting to since I was tiny), when my sons were 4, 7 and 8.  Now they are 14, 17 and 18.  At least half of my flying has been with one of them as my copilot.  I hadn't guessed at the time when I bought the airplane, but it has turned out to be a fantastic way to spend one on one time with my boys.  This summer I have some college shopping for my 17 year old on deck, plus a trip to Oshkosh (he likes airplanes and wants to be an aeronautical engineer). With my 18 year old, he likes to fish so he picks out places on the map to go fishing - we call it "fly" fishing - and with my 14 year old he likes baseball - so we will see the redsox, and I just took him also to a trip I needed to go to Prince Edwards Island.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

Same here Houman.  I got into flying about 10 years ago (after wanting to since I was tiny), when my sons were 4, 7 and 8.  Now they are 14, 17 and 18.  At least half of my flying has been with one of them as my copilot.  I hadn't guessed at the time when I bought the airplane, but it has turned out to be a fantastic way to spend one on one time with my boys.  This summer I have some college shopping for my 17 year old on deck, plus a trip to Oshkosh (he likes airplanes and wants to be an aeronautical engineer). With my 18 year old, he likes to fish so he picks out places on the map to go fishing - we call it "fly" fishing - and with my 14 year old he likes baseball - so we will see the redsox, and I just took him also to a trip I needed to go to Prince Edwards Island.

Enjoy!

If he likes baseball, you guys should come on down one year to CWS. You're more than welcomed to the spare bedrooms for a measly cost of a 6 pack a day ;-) I wish it wasn't raining today, I'd go a game myself.

Andy a great venue, a friend of mine has a son who plays for LSU J Fraley they just lost there first game to TCU..double elimination is awesome..u a Creighton fan..I'm a big east Rat.

Houman another great reason to fly..

One of my dream flights is to fly on father's day with my dad and my son, unfortunetly that is not about to happen, my dad dos'nt like flying and drives down to Florida from Montreal every year, the only time they fly anything, it's commercial to Europe, California or Hawaii.

The issue is my mom as well, she is a great person and amazing mother and grandmother, but has spent most of her life affraid of alot of things, so she is not letting my dad come even if he would accept to fly with me.

Hopefully that will change one day... soon !!!

If he likes baseball, you guys should come on down one year to CWS. You're more than welcomed to the spare bedrooms for a measly cost of a 6 pack a day ;-) I wish it wasn't raining today, I'd go a game myself.

Hi Andy,

That is a generous offer - but ummmmm.... - giving away my lack of coolness - what is CWS?

Hi Andy,

That is a generous offer - but ummmmm.... - giving away my lack of coolness - what is CWS?

College World Series, the greatest 10 days of amateur baseball on the planet...Plus all the junk food a human body can handle. Eating fruits and veggies all week for breakfast and lunch, saving my grease/meat quotient for the evenings around the stadium:

CollegeWorldSeriesStadium.jpg

Andy a great venue, a friend of mine has a son who plays for LSU J Fraley they just lost there first game to TCU..double elimination is awesome..u a Creighton fan..I'm a big east Rat.

Houman another great reason to fly..

I like the Bluejays, but not so much for baseball. I'm a big fan of basketball team and try to catch a few hometown games per year. Like their women's volleyball games too, tight shorts and fast game, what's not to like ;-) As to CWS, not really rooting for anyone in particular, just love the event. I worked at the old stadium when I was a kid "pitching" hotdogs and other artery clogging awesomeness but I have enjoyed the event even more since it got moved downtown to the new facilities. Omaha unlike many other cities its size has a really vibrant, clean and safe downtown area with many bars, restaurants and other activities. It's just a blast.

Thanks Houman, reminds me of my first flight with my younger son as pilot. We went to a local boneyard and crawled around an old NW 747 that was being dismantled. His ticket was ink wet new, mine was 30 years old and not current (I took 24 years off flying to raise a family). I'll never forget he offered me the yoke to land it and I said, no, I was no where near current or confident like I am today. A few years later I took 10 hrs of lessons to get a BFR and now he flies DASH 8s and me the Mooney.

Bill

• Like 4

Your lack of coolness dully noted. The price just went up to a six pack and a hotdog per day...

Dang! Yer tough.  Truth is my 14 year old is cool - I just operate the motor vehicle - ask him about baseball - ANYTHING about baseball - any player, play, game, from the beginning of time until today - anything anything - he knows.  The kid is a walking baseball encylopedia.

• Like 1