Mooney Factory Videos

Yep, same here.  Did a trip from Australia to Kerrville to attend a Homecoming in 09 and was given a tour of the factory by then Sales Manager Susan Harrison when only a short number of employees remained.

Hope to return sometime in the near future for another look.

Victor

Was in Kerrville in Jan. this year ,and went on the Factory Tour ,it was very interesting to see the steps that it take to build a Mooney . We were told that they were only turning  out 1 completed Mooney every 3 months. It was a small crew working , and everyone was very friendly ,and would take the time to talk with you. It a must do if you are in Kerrville! 

I can really appreciate the time ,and effort that it take to build a Mooney ,Built my RV-4 with a lot of help ,and don't think I would want to do it again! Well maybe ??  

• Like 1

Was in Kerrville in Jan. this year ,and went on the Factory Tour ,it was very interesting to see the steps that it take to build a Mooney . We were told that they were only turning  out 1 completed Mooney every 3 months. It was a small crew working , and everyone was very friendly ,and would take the time to talk with you. It a must do if you are in Kerrville! 

I can really appreciate the time ,and effort that it take to build a Mooney ,Built my RV-4 with a lot of help ,and don't think I would want to do it again! Well maybe ??  

When I went on a Piper tour two years ago in Vero Beach, we were strictly forbidden from taking even stills, let alone video.

There has been a change lately...

Back in the day, you would not be allowed in a factory, never mind photos or video...

Today, even Ferrari and BMW have videos of how their plants work and they show it on TV.

Basically, the whole system is so complex it is too hard to copy from pictures and videos...

If you are in the business already you already know how to build planes. The one or two secrets you have about forming sheet metal or drilling aluminum are known by the suppliers of your machinery...

Overall it is good PR. Mooney buyers have selected the machines for their speed and efficiency. It is comforting to see how they are built!

My thoughts,

-a-

I just watched the video's and I was very impressed.  But, then I got to thinking.  It's the man hours involved in building just one ship and David you confirmed my thoughts.  One Mooney in three months.  Yes, I know it is hard to start up the assembly line again, but all I can see is red ink.  Lets say they tripled the output to one Mooney every month and lets say they sell that Mooney for one million dollars.  Thats only 12 million cash flow for the year.  12 million to run a factory on?  Now I know that they have other sources of income in parts and so on, but I just don't see the viability.  The equation is going to have to change.  More efficient assembly I am sure is on the list.  Automation?  Cheaper labor? Units sold.  Yes, units sold.  They need to spread the costs over more units.  The only way to sell more units is to get the price down and that brings me to my conclusion.  Management knows this too.  It is a sinking ship.  They will quietly shift most production to China.  I can't see it any other way.  Just my opinion.

So much for all the nonsense that floated around after the Chinese bought Mooney.

This is exactly what needed to happen. I am seeing so much of my 50 year-old E in these gorgeous new birds that it brings tears.

I need to get The Mistress back to Kerrville to see this  :wub:

I am flying in today for a tour. It will be interesting. One feeling I have is that whatever diection they take, it has to make sense in terms of viability.

One feeling I have is that whatever diection they take, it has to make sense in terms of viability.

1. Chinese have money (ours  :) ).

2. China is a big place, think Texas, Alaska, California (on a grander scale).

3. Chinese want airplanes.

4. Chinese want fast airplanes (see #2).

5. China is terribly polluted.

6. Chinese want efficient airplanes (see #5).

7. Everybody wants safe airplanes.

8. Airplanes certified by the most anal bureaucracy in the world are the safest airplanes.

9. Chinese want Mooneys!

(...doesn't everybody?)