Upholstry in Fort Worth area

Has anyone got a good recommendation for an upholstry shop in Ft. Worth?  My plane will go in for a full panel upgrade and autopilot install and will be down for a month.  I'd like to have interior re-done while its in the avionics shop at Spinks Airport. 

Thanks,

Don

• Like 1

Hi Don,

There is an interior shop on the field on the east side by the fuel pumps if you need to keep it local. But I'd recommend you do is to box it up and send it down to Aero Comfort in San Antonio. They are one of the best shops you'll find. That's what I did. Since you're in Fort Worth, you can just take it there.

I have pictures of their work in my gallery.

• Like 1

Jetmall did my friends bonanza in leather and it looks like a corporate jet inside. In fact that's what they usually do. I'd say at least as good as aero comfort, perhaps better. They are at the NE corner of FWS by self serve fuel.

Jetmall did my friends bonanza in leather and it looks like a corporate jet inside. In fact that's what they usually do. I'd say at least as good as aero comfort, perhaps better. They are at the NE corner of FWS by self serve fuel.

That's the place I referring too... A guy I fly with has a flight school there had one of his 152's done there. It looked okay but I personally didn't think it was Aero Comfort standards. Of course if you have corporate jet dollars, they might up their game.

It's generally not a good idea to have two different shops working in your plane at the same time, and a major avionics upgrade can be quite messy. Better to pull the interior beforehand and send it off to the guys who know Mooney, have done hundreds of Mooney interiors, and who many of us think is the best shop doing Mooney's. Then get the interior back and install it after the avionics and panel is done.

You really won't lose any time, you'll make it easier on the avionics people who will have more room to work, and you won't have two different shops messing with your plane at the same time.

YMMV, but..... :)

• Like 2

The only way it works if you have the shop that that has the plane pull the interior and reinstall it when it is returned. I did that when Don Maxwell was doing some work on my plane. He pulled the interior and shopped it and shipped it to Aero Comfort. Then reinstalled it when it returned. That being said, that's not likely something an avionics shop would want to do. Reinstalling interiors can be pretty tedious.

Thanks to all for the input.  I'm working in south Texas and going to fly into San Antonio and meet with Aero Comfort tomorrow.  We'll probably pull the interior in Ft. Worth and let Aero Comfort have the pieces to work from and re-install in the avionics shop with my assistance. 

Thanks,

Don

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I stripped her down and its all spread out on the hangar floor.  Its amazing how many pieces there are in as small an area as a '64.  I had previously met with Hector at Aero Comfort and was able to look at a finished Mooney upholstry package ready to install and I was sold.  A bit pricey, but well worth it in the long run.  After a full panel upgrade with new avionics and AP, 201 windshield, and Aero Comfort interior, she'll be ready for another 50 years. 

Don

post-7466-0-94353300-1402427009_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Wise choice, and you'll forget all about the expense as soon as you settle into your new interior.

I'M LUSTING AFTER YOUR HANGAR!  Wow, that looks like a nice cave to play in...with some nice toys too.  I get to lay on dirty, rough concrete covered in dirt, grass clippings (that blow in) and guano.

• Like 1

Scott,

Thanks.  You're welcome to come to 66TE where I live and roll around on my floor anytime.  We held a Vintage Mooney fly-in last year at my hangar and would welcome you or anyone to drop by anytime.  Anyone needing a stopover on a crosscountry would also be welcome.  We've got plenty of room. 

Don