M20J Interior

I had a leather interior and new glass installed in my 1993 Mooney M20J MSE at a shop that will remain nameless for now until I see how things ultimately work out.  Is it reasonable to expect that with a very expensive ($20,000) project like this that new foam would have been installed, or is it standard to simply reuse the old foam?

If you're paying that much I would expect new memory foam in different densities (like Oregon Aero stuff) and seat covers made from the finest baby seal hides that money can buy.  I think the Mooney factory would even do a new interior with the very nice composite side panels for similar money in addition to new foam and leather.

Good luck.

20K ????!!!!???? Are you out of your mind??!!  I did mine: 4 seats all FAA certified leather with new memory foam for $1650 !!! I know glass foesn't cost 18K!!  Seriously man ! Are you sure??

Oh, dear! That IS quite a price. I hope it is just beautiful, and that you're thrilled with the  job. I know I am, every time I open the door and the smell of new top-quality leather wafts out. I'm so pleased with the newly refurbished seats- I feel at least 3" taller as a result, and the Oregon Aero booster seat has been retired to the back. THAT's what you should have gotten for your investment... at the VERY least, I should think.

Surely the interior shop MEANT to replace the old foam, and surely they're honorable enough to offer to re-do properly it at no additional charge, even covering your costs to return the seats to them. That just seems a most peculiar place to cut corners. Foam's just not that expensive in the overall scheme of things. If they won't, you'd be justified in being really mad. The web is a fine place to tell other people what you think-- it's got to be hard on business when customers find they've been cheated, and spread the word.

As for MY big internet mouth, I hope Hector's phone at AeroComfort, Inc in San Antonio is ringing off the hook with potential customers who insist on a first-class job with a very fast turnaround.

I agree with Allsmiles.  I had my seats refurbed in my 1977 M20J for $1650 back in '06.  A Minot, ND upholstery shop replaced the gaudy red leather seats with up-to-date top grain parchment colored leather over fresh foam.  It's holding up exceedingly well after four years.  I think you should shop around for a better deal on the glass.

When I get around to it I'll post some photos of my interior.  New leather outsourced and new carpet and refinished plastics done by yours truly. Every time I approach my airplane and open the door I feel so proud!! If anyone is interested in refinishing plastics I'll tell you what I did. It's better than brand new and cost very little. You have to not be scared to put in some elbow grease. 

Quote: Wistarmo

I had a leather interior and new glass installed in my 1993 Mooney M20J MSE at a shop that will remain nameless for now until I see how things ultimately work out.  Is it reasonable to expect that with a very expensive ($20,000) project like this that new foam would have been installed, or is it standard to simply reuse the old foam?

Methinks Wistarmo regrets this post already.  I have to admit that $20K sounds a bit pricey but I have never looked at replacing all the glass so I don't have a clue on those costs.  I have a little research on having the interior done soup to nuts and costs ranged from $7K to $10K.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello:

To be available to help you out I need to ask you does this price included : Head liner, seats, re-foam seats, side panels, window frame re-covered, carpet, seat belts, repaint seats frames and paint any other piece to m match the new interior color the glass and installation labor???

If the $ 20,000.00 included everything it’s a good deal but if not, you need to ask them to break it down the window installation and price by themselves that should be about $ 4,200.00 - $ 4,500.00. For the interior it should be $ 12,000.00 -$ 15,000.00 depend on the quality of the leather.

To all,

The project is not yet completed; the aircraft is at the facility for a third time to correct problems.  In terms of the price breakdown, the interior was $10,160 (including tax) for a new leather interior, Royalite repairs, and carpet.  Replacement of the windshield and side windows was $8380 (including tax) which included $981 for repainting.  A new baggage door seal was $505 (including tax). I appreciate everyone's interest and input and will update everyone when it is finished.