IO360 Start Procedure

flyboy0681

Just to be clear - you mean on a hot start you have the mixture at idle cut off and then you use the boost pump to pressurize the fuel system. I heard thats how the continentals like it - wasnt sure about the lycons

Yep. That's it. Leave the throttle where it was on shut down (1400 RPM), leave the mixture at cut off, pressurize the fuel system and crank away.

I was shocked to see the manual say idle cut-off on the mixture to start. I've only done that when the engine was warm. I had an '83 Beech Sierra also with the Lyc. IO-360 and the POH said for cold start, "1/3 open throttle, prop forward, full rich, fuel boost until pressure indicated, start." That's the way I've been doing it in my '89 J and it always starts in one turn or less. I point it out to any new passengers before I start to show how reliable the engine is.

When using this or the shower of sparks which I assume are very similar the regular points on the left mag are disconnected and the points on the right mag are disconenceted as well. The shower of sparks is then controlled by a retard set of points on the left mag. This allow the engine to start easier with a less advanced timing from the 20 or 25 degers BTDC normal timing. I was told that when the engine begins to catch hold the shower of sparks in to aloow the eingie to fully start. This will help prevent the dreaded kick back.

Correct, the shower of sparks and slickstart serve the same function. They fire the plugs around 0 deg. The shower of sparks uses battery voltage to fire the plugs, so you don't have to worry about the mags firing at low rpms. It basically pulses the 12 volts from the battery through the coil and fires the plugs several times when the piston is at TDC. It active only while the switch is turned to start. Once the starter switch is released, the mag functions like any other mag. Its used in place of an impulse coupling.

Just for the hell of it I tried a full rich start yesterday and it turned right over.

So my question is, can this do any harm as long as I'm not flooding it by priming too much?

I am no A&P but it doesnt seem like it should hurt anything. But it is puzzling to me. Is the boost pump doing its job?

My POH procedure is Master/ON, Mixture/FULL, Prop/FULL, Fuel Pump/ON, prime for 5 seconds, Mixture/OFF, start, Mixture/ADVANCE, Fuel Pump/Off. It almost always takes a couple of attemts with a 2-3 second prime prior to the second attempt.

I tried the Throttle/Quarter, Prop/FULL, Mixture/FULL, Master/ON, Fuel Pump/ON until pressure, Fuel Pump/OFF, Mixture/OFF, start, Mixture/ADVANCE procedure yesterday and got a solid start after only a couple of turns of the blades. It didn't work so well on a luke-warm (sitting for an hour after a two hour flight).